Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BBC - World Cup

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Leonardo and Desailly join BBC team
Thursday April 27 2006

The BBC have recruited two World Cup winners for their tournament coverage in Brazilian Leonardo and Frenchman Marcel Desailly - but the best news is that there's no Graeme Le Saux, Tony Adams or Peter Schmeichel.

Unfortunately, Ian Wright has survived the cull, while Lee Dixon continues his rise through the ranks at the Beeb.

The broadcaster have announce details of their World Cup coverage, which will of course be anchored by Gary Lineker, with punditry from Leonardo, Desailly, Gordon Strachan, Alan Hansen, Alan Shearer, Wright and Dixon.

Mark Lawrenson will be in the commentary box along with Mick McCarthy, Gavin Peacock and Mark Bright, while Garth Crooks is 'their man inside the England camp', on hand to ask really long complicated questions and confirm qualification to Sven-Goran Eriksson just the hour after everybody else has realised.

Mark Pougatch and Mark Saggers will be the main men on Radio 5 Live, with Paul Jewell, Martin Jol and Graham Taylor among the pundits - clearly a trio of faces made for radio.

Last edited:

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
but the best news is that there's no Graeme Le Saux, Tony Adams or Peter Schmeichel.

:clap:

Unfortunately, Ian Wright has survived the cull

:nono:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I also rate Le Saux. I assume that Big Ron is not going to be making any guest appearances with the new French pundit?

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
It's one of those things you pinch yourself for saying but ITV can be provide quite good car-crash telly with their WC coverage - they invented the idea of giving the pundits plenty of pre-broadcast booze, for example, and judging by Terry Venables flushed complexion during recent tournaments, that's still the case.

And with that gobshite Wright likely to be shouting, laughing and acting the prick in between matey matey "we used to be players" bonhomie with Lineker et al, the Beeb panel sounds bloody awful.

Anyone know who ITV have got?

I hope Martin O'Neill gets signed up again. What is the point of Lee Dixon, can anyone tell me?

Lush

Mods' Pet
Uncle Buck said:
... while Garth Crooks is 'their man inside the England camp', on hand to ask really long complicated questions and confirm qualification to Sven-Goran Eriksson just the hour after everybody else has realised."

Aint that the truth. And he has no neck.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
But what about the BBC legend that is Tony Gubba!:angry:

Of course i am just a bit bias as my mate lives with his daughter!:clap:

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Garth Crooks, utter nosher. Can't f***ing stand him. Always remember him asking Peter Atherton 'So why did you lose today' to which Atherton gave him a shitty look and replied 'because the other team scored more goals than us'.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
METALMICKY said:
But what about the BBC legend that is Tony Gubba!

I've always had a lot of time for the Gubmeister

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Man of Harveys said:
I've always had a lot of time for the Gubmeister

Respect because in the old days of Grandstand (remember that?) he was always lumbered with Table Tennis, Netball, hockey, Pro Celeb Topless Knitting etc........

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Personally I ignore every second of punditry. Turn the sound down, go and crack open another beer, you know it makes sense. I can't even stand the few minutes of 'analysis' on MOTD.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
bhafc99 said:
Personally I ignore every second of punditry. Turn the sound down, go and crack open another beer, you know it makes sense. I can't even stand the few minutes of 'analysis' on MOTD.

:clap: well said

:mental note: check beer supplies

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Shame about Le Saux but Schmeichel is a cock - deserves to go

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
bhafc99 said:

Absolutely spot on

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here