Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] BBC TV News' match preview fails to state that it's women's football

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m001t4c4/bbc-news-at-six-05122023. 22:50 in

I thought it must be an under 21 fixture but it was only when I checked the listings to see if the postponed Alfreton V Walsall FA Cup tie was scheduled again that I realized it wasn't men's. It's as if the BBC feel guilty about always referring to men's football as just 'football' for a century so decided to redress the balance! I now expect to get slated for being sexist.
BTW that FA Cup* tie is on the red button and will be on iPlayer later.

* Sorry, should have said "Men's FA Cup".

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Did the nasty BBC force you to watch some women play football? Diddums.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m001t4c4/bbc-news-at-six-05122023. 22:50 in

I thought it must be an under 21 fixture but it was only when I checked the listings to see if the postponed Alfreton V Walsall FA Cup tie was scheduled again that I realized it wasn't men's. It's as if the BBC feel guilty about always referring to men's football as just 'football' for a century so decided to redress the balance! I now expect to get slated for being sexist.
BTW that FA Cup* tie is on the red button and will be on iPlayer later.

* Sorry, should have said "Men's FA Cup".
10 second look at tonight's fixtures would have told you in advance.

Much better to be outraged by the news though :lolol:

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
If its the BBC didn't they introduce the match as "a game of football played between two sides designated by the UK government and other governments as women"

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
If its the BBC didn't they introduce the match as "a game of football played between two sides designated by the UK government and other governments as women"
No. No they didn't. Can you think why?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
It seems to be more interesting with England 5-0 up against Scotland whereas the FA cup game is still 0-0.
I think we simply have to accept that men’s football simply has a long way to go to match the excitement and dynamism of the women’s game

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
A very deliberate marketing ploy, age old, not limited to the genders.

Another example would be a vague news heading drawing you in. The Argus is the master of this, deliberately not mentioning the location of non Brighton/Hove news … so that people click on it. Only to be disappointed that the missing tortoise was in Bognor Regis.

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
No. No they didn't. Can you think why?
Because it’s the BBC. Which I generally love and support, but I dislike this aspect. There is a big difference between men and women’s football, and their audiences — yet we seem honour-bound to pretend otherwise.

I support women’s football and have spent at least 5 or 6 very enjoyable Sunday afternoons at the Dripping Pan to watch Lewes Women. But when I see football headlines and fixtures, I want it to be clear what I’m reading about as they are very different topics. If that means saying 'Men's football' then so be it.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Because it’s the BBC. Which I generally love and support, but I dislike this aspect. There is a big difference between men and women’s football, and their audiences — yet we seem honour-bound to pretend otherwise.

I support women’s football and have spent at least 5 or 6 very enjoyable Sunday afternoons at the Dripping Pan to watch Lewes Women. But when I see football headlines and fixtures, I want it to be clear what I’m reading about as they are very different topics. If that means saying 'Men's football' then so be it.
Do you demand the same of Tennis and Athletics? What about Gymnastics?

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
Do you demand the same of Tennis and Athletics? What about Gymnastics?
With individual sports you can easily tell what you’re reading about (“Radicanu reaches quarter final", "Djokovic knocked out" etc. When the Guardian or BBC have headlines about Chelsea or Arsenal, it’s not at all clear who they’re referring to. They are, essentially, two different sports. And it’s possible to like them both. I just want to know which is being referred to, that’s all.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The Albion play the same marketing game. Enticing great news emails about a new signing …. then to find out they’ve signed for the WSL team. I don’t support the team but wish them well, numbers at games and money in that format of the sport would suggest that I’m not alone just now …. so it’s a swift delete.

Not misogyny, I’ve only got so much time/energy for football. I just watched some of the 6-0, really impressed with the skill, structure and game awareness of the England team.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
With individual sports you can easily tell what you’re reading about (“Radicanu reaches quarter final", "Djokovic knocked out" etc. When the Guardian or BBC have headlines about Chelsea or Arsenal, it’s not at all clear who they’re referring to. They are, essentially, two different sports. And it’s possible to like them both. I just want to know which is being referred to, that’s all.
That wasn't the OP's point at all. You can presumably tell the difference between Bellingham and Russo as well? Athletics, Tennis and Gymnastics are sports that are competed in by both sexes but called by one name. That's what triggered him, the massive snowflake.

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
The Albion play the same marketing game. Enticing great news emails about a new signing …. then to find out they’ve signed for the WSL team. I don’t support the team but wish them well, numbers at games and money in that format of the sport would suggest that I’m not alone just now …. so it’s a swift delete.

Not misogyny, I’ve only got so much time/energy for football. I just watched some of the 6-0, really impressed with the skill, structure and game awareness of the England team.
Exactly. I’m afraid some of the marketing is deliberately misleading.

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
That wasn't the OP's point at all. You can presumably tell the difference between Bellingham and Russo as well? Athletics, Tennis and Gymnastics are sports that are competed in by both sexes but called by one name. That's what triggered him, the massive snowflake.
A headline about Bellingham or Russo is fine — I know what the story refers to. A headline about Chelsea or Brighton? No.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
A headline about Bellingham or Russo is fine — I know what the story refers to. A headline about Chelsea or Brighton? No.
Really? If the women's teams of both clubs were playing tonight and the mens teams weren't playing till March you'd find that difficult? :wozza:

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
Really? If the women's teams of both clubs were playing tonight and the mens teams weren't playing till March you'd find that difficult? :wozza:
Sorry, you’ve lost me. Why would we be not playing until March? You seem to be in belligerent mood this evening. Not sure if this is connected with your username.

Reactions: cjd

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here