Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BBC 'Price of Football 2014' - We are top of the league

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I was going to say a similar thing. When I was teenager big gig at the Brighton centre would be £12-15 now £20-25.

Upcoming Gigs at Brighton Centre -
Paloma Faith - £35
Kasabian - £39
Lily Allen - £32
Madness - £45/35
Human League £39/32
actually v.much in line with Albion tickets.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Upcoming Gigs at Brighton Centre -
Paloma Faith - £35
Kasabian - £39
Lily Allen - £32
Madness - £45/35
Human League £39/32
actually v.much in line with Albion tickets.

Really? Bloody hell.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
d) A solar flare or other space event knock out ALL the Astra satellites that broacast Sky TV. Again this is unlikely given the redundancy built into the system, but don't say it can never happen. The oldest working one was launched in 1993, and probably has around 2 years of life left (at best).

Astra 2A was launched in 1998 when Sky started their new digital service whilst relocating from 19.2 E to 28.2 E. It is still working but low on fuel and when Astra 2G is operational (end of November launch from Baikonur in Kazakhstan) early next year it will either be shunted off and parked in a graveyard orbit or used at another position for occasional feeds.

durrington gull

Aug 29, 2004
Worthing
Its an expensive day out now, I have stopped buying a pint now at the amex as im unwilling to shell out 4.20 - if this 3.50 then fair enough

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Its an expensive day out now, I have stopped buying a pint now at the amex as im unwilling to shell out 4.20 - if this 3.50 then fair enough
If you get there just before 2pm to buy your pint using your season ticket then its £3.57 a pint... (15% off)

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
Just a thought, but following football in probably the second most expensive city to live in outside London, is pro rata, no?

That doesn't explain how Charlton, a London club, have the cheapest season ticket in the entire Football League. In fact, it's also cheaper than the entire top three Scottish divisions plus all but one Conference club.

Add in the fact that Charlton run subsidised coaches from Brighton/Worthing/Hastings/EastGrinstead etc to every home game, and folk in Sussex could probably follow us for half the price of following Albion.

Just saying, yeah... ;)

Geestar

Nov 6, 2012
Shoreham Beach
That doesn't explain how Charlton, a London club, have the cheapest season ticket in the entire Football League. In fact, it's also cheaper than the entire top three Scottish divisions plus all but one Conference club.

Add in the fact that Charlton run subsidised coaches from Brighton/Worthing/Hastings/EastGrinstead etc to every home game, and folk in Sussex could probably follow us for half the price of following Albion.

Just saying, yeah... ;)
But its in Charlton

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
That doesn't explain how Charlton, a London club, have the cheapest season ticket in the entire Football League.

Just saying, yeah... ;)

I think this is great and an admirable initiative but the £155 tickets are only a small percentage of the tickets you do sell. It would be great if the Albion also offered a small percentage of their tickets at an "affordable" rate but how they would allocate these and what the reaction might be from existing ST holders paying perhaps double or more of that rate would be quite a challenge.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
I have no problem with the cost of games at the Amex. The food/drink is a bit pricey but I don't have to buy it. Whilst I don't take advantage of the free travel subsidy on a game by game basis it is a necessary evil of the planning issues we had to endure so that's fine too as far as I'm concerned. The thing that really irritates though is the patronising way that this is all presented by Paul barber and Co. It could have/should have been a really unemotional and factual presentation of the facts and the benefits that we receive in terms of quality of the ground, products, travel etc along with the journey that we have had to take. Unfortunately though the guy can't help himself from straying into patronising digs at the supporters blaming them for the products stocked/margins resulting and whinging about people raising queries/complaints about the price of football. He has waffled on in the past about us being valued as customers but what happened about the customer always being right? He wouldn't last long in a real world retail environment when it comes to customers that's for sure. He seems keen on treating us as football fans in full knowledge that it would take a lot for us to lose allegiance (unlike true customers) but then doesn't allow us to be football fans (e.g. continuous steward intervention when it comes to standing). As far as I'm concerned it has to be one or the other; quite happy to be a customer provided that I'm not treated badly and without respect when things don't go to plan.

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
I think this is great and an admirable initiative but the £155 tickets are only a small percentage of the tickets you do sell. It would be great if the Albion also offered a small percentage of their tickets at an "affordable" rate but how they would allocate these and what the reaction might be from existing ST holders paying perhaps double or more of that rate would be quite a challenge.

I thought it would cause more resentment at Charlton than it has. Particularly since few people with £150 STs actually sit in their designated block. It's the far corner wing, but with our attendances so far below capacity most sit in empty seats nearer the halfway line instead. This is one of the most expensive parts of the ground, so a lot of people with £500 STs now have £150 folk sat beside them. There are a few sly digs about the "Block A pikeys" but most just accept it.

Generally speaking I think the introduction of Safe Standing is the key to other clubs bringing in cheap STs. Surely folk with seats won't begrudge standers paying a lot less? There's a lot of talk about cheap tickets at Dortmund, for example, but these are on terraces - even at Borussia the seated prices aren't a great deal less than the Premier League..

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
At the end of the day player wages are killing football. This is why it was a ludicrous decision to allocate all FFP fines to be given to charity, rather than be redistributed amongst those clubs that play ball and lose out as a result.

If QPR were to get fined £50million and we got £1million of that then that would represent a significant chunk of revenue.

It wasn't a ludicrous decision, it was the advice given to the Football League by their barrister.

Jan 30, 2008
i think in the scheme of things prices we pay for alot of things are getting stupid, especially compared to only a decade or two ago. but we keep paying, so clearly we accept this. and they (not just the club, any company) understand this and will charge more until we stop.
lemmings spring to mind , got nothing against loyal fans but some peoples loyalty starts at their home when push comes to shove
regards
DR

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
I'd find it peculiar if Brighton being in one of the most affluent areas of the country were to come out as cheaper to support than, say, Blackpool in one of the most deprived.

It surprises me how expensive we are to support compared to a lot in the PL though...

Trotty

Feb 22, 2012
I've just worked out the price of my season ticket (£465) after subtracting the travel from Hassocks (£6 return) and it works out at £327. So for 23 games that works out at £14.22 per match, very good value I think.

I've just worked out the price of my season ticket (£465) after subtracting the travel from Hassocks (£6 return) and it works out at £327. So for 23 games that works out at £14.22 per match, very good value I think.

This is the right way to work thing out,mine comes in at £20 a game,fantastic value,beer is reasonably priced for an entertainment venue,as for pies,I eat before I get there.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Price is what you pay. Value is what you get. We all have different opinions on this but in my view, these surveys are all very well but I can hardly go and follow another club! I'm locked in, have been for decades. During the 90s I followed the club even more! Lost count of the number of times left the ground feeling miserable, swearing that's the last time, only to begrudgingly cough up next week again. And repeat. It's harder to kick than Class A drugs! See you all Saturday..."Football. Bloody Hell" :(

SAC

May 21, 2014
You would have to offer me a lot more than £150 plus free transport to get me to watch Charlton! You do have to wonder though how it is possible for Charlton to offer such low prices and if they also comply with FFP.

Although it was a gamble when the first ST prices were announced, once the club saw that the new and returning fans were willing to fork out this much for a ST, there was no going back. Fans are not going to start to follow another club, they are either going to put up with it or stop attending. With so many ST holders, the gamble is obviously still paying off but I wonder for how much longer and if people get back into the habit of not attending it will be very difficult to get them to come back again.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here