Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[NSC] BBC local radio.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
My local BBC radio stations are Manchester or Liverpool (Merseyside) neither of whom are local to me.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Used to listen to it faithfully in the John Radford days, 'Prick' Pringle did for me, aside from travel news can't be arsed which is bad because we do need local radio, just goes to show what one utter wanker can do?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Fewer and fewer people tune in.
I occasionally tune in to Radio Sussex, but when they say 'our listeners in Sussex and Surr........zzzzzzzzzz I turn the station over. The whole, defining point of local radio is that it's er, local.
It used to be BBC Radio Brighton.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
To my mind this is the modern political method for destabilising a public service.

Cut the funding, the service levels are degraded, fewer people use the service, those who can switch to alternatives.

Repeat the cycle a few times then say it’s ok to stop funding it altogether as nobody’s using the service anyway.
do you think the licence fee to rise then?

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
do you think the licence fee to rise then?
I would personally prefer the licence fee to be means-tested (not just for pensioners) if we must fund via the licence fee, and tiered accordingly, with the licence fee to rise for those who can afford it to rise.

It is a government decision to fund the BBC through a (frankly regressive) funding mechanism instead of through general taxation. Nobody’s making the government implement this system, they’re choosing it.

However, I believe there’s a separate thread for discussing the BBC licence fee/funding specifically elsewhere, so won’t say any more here.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here