BBC iPlayer Recommendations?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
That much-touted naff Aussie series earlier in the year, or maybe tail end of last year, about the guy that lost his memory gave Aussie drama a bit of a bad name IMHO. 'The Newsreader', currently playing, redresses much of the balance. It's a seriously decent six-parter set in 1980's Melbourne, very well-acted and deeply engaging

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
That much-touted naff Aussie series earlier in the year, or maybe tail end of last year, about the guy that lost his memory gave Aussie drama a bit of a bad name IMHO. 'The Newsreader', currently playing, redresses much of the balance. It's a seriously decent six-parter set in 1980's Melbourne, very well-acted and deeply engaging

Watched all episodes of The Newsreader. Really enjoyed it and was about to offer it to the thread too.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Really enjoyed The Marriage.

Saw one newspaper review calling it boring but I thought it went at a decent pace whilst showing what it sought to show.

Nicola Walker was, as always, absolutely fantastic and whilst Bean was decent, I felt she carried him a little.

She really has become one of our finest.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

Saw one newspaper review calling it boring but I thought it went at a decent pace whilst showing what it sought to show.

Nicola Walker was, as always, absolutely fantastic and whilst Bean was decent, I felt she carried him a little.

I really wanted to like this. Great cast. But I have to say I was bored to tears by minute 20.

Sean Bean seems to just act like an 80 year old man in all his recent stuff.

I’m going to go back and give it another go but I found it quite jarring and rather humdrum. I know they are going for the everyday goings on in a long established marriage but I did find it boring.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
I really wanted to like this. Great cast. But I have to say I was bored to tears by minute 20.

I’m going to go back and give it another go but I found it quite jarring and rather humdrum. I know they are going for the everyday goings on in a long established marriage but I did find it boring.

Compared to my daily humdrum it was like a Statham movie. :whistle:

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton

A decent pace if you're a snail! Just to warn other readers, this might not be a universal view. I've seen more action watching paint dry and typed more words in this post than they said all episode. Mr Bean says and does more than Sean Bean and Bolam was just a caricature of his real grumpy self (allegedly). I'm surprised Nicola Walker took this one on.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I thought Marriage was a masterpiece. Sean Bean, Nicola Walker and Bolam all astonishing in it.
Yes. it deals with the mundane and there are sweary rows set in the B&Q car park and loving exchanges in the Tesco aisle about the price of chickens but at various points you'll be heartbroken because you'll fall for these characters and that's down to the writing, the acting and the directing.
PS: Sean Bean shows his range . He's just as believable in this as a lost 50something parent who can't communicate but ultimately a good lower middle class suburban man as he is playing the scariest man alive in Red Riding.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005

Well I think its fukken shite. That ****ish 'theme tune' thing is gonna drive me to kill.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The Lost Final - Pat Nevin, on BBC Scotchland.

Lovely little documentary about the 1982 under 18's Euro championship.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
For those who enjoyed the strong Apple Tree Yard with Emily Watson, September brings us Crossfire.

Similarly created and written by Louise Doughty, Crossfire is set in a luxurious resort in the Canary Islands. Sunbathing on her hotel room balcony while on a dream holiday with her family and friends, Jo’s (Keeley Hawes) world is turned upside down when shots ring out across the complex. Gunmen, out for revenge, have, in an instant, turned a slice of paradise into a terrifying heart-breaking hell. With the unsuspecting holidaymakers and hotel staff forced to make monumental split-second life or death decisions, the consequences will linger long after the final shots are fired.

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
"Mum"

Simply fantastic writing, acting and very left field.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
The highly-anticipated four-part series, Inside Man, starring David Tennant and created by former Sherlock and Doctor Who showrunner Steven Moffat, now has a transmission date.

It begins with the tagline: “Everyone’s a murderer. You just have to meet the right person.”

In the US, a prisoner on death row is seeking atonement as he faces execution. On a train in England, a journalist is looking for a story. In a quiet little village, a vicar is picking up his son’s maths tutor from the station. All four are about to become entangled in a dilemma that could lead one of them to murder.

This series also stars the brilliant Stanley Tucci, Lydia West, Dolly Wells, Lyndsey Marshal and Louis Oliver.

Monday 26th and Tuesday 27th September, 9pm, Beeb 1.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
They have finally started reshowing Our Friends In The North.
1-3 on iPlayer now, then on bbc4 every wed for the next few weeks. Hadn't seen since it was on the first time but I remember it being superb

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports