Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BBC 2014 Sports Personality of the year,The Ten.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
A quick search for Dujardin reveals that she is the reigning Olympic, World & European Champion - the only dressage rider in history to hold those titles at the same time. So, I'd say that she probably does deserve her spot, yes.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Charlotte Dujardin has had a reasonable amount of coverage, and was not born with a particularly silver spoon in her mouth.

He won't - but I would like to see Carl Froch win. He is a champion, and has a personality.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I look at every one of those contenders and think they deserve to be on the list. I admit, I didn't know who the swimmer was, but his achievements this year look impressive.

I was a little surprised to not see Bradley Wiggins on the list - he has for the most part had an indifferent season, but did end the year by becoming a World Champion. Perhaps had he won the Tour of Britain too, he may have made the cut.

Anyway, my vote is for Lizzy Yarnold. It amazes me that Britain manages to dominate women's skeleton when we don't even have a track in this country. The policy of switching talented youngsters from other sports is clearly working, as this was our second Women's Skeleton gold in a row. From having never tried skeleton, to winning Olympic gold in 6 years is a real achievement.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Thanks for this, and below is no way a criticism of your article as such. With these sort of votes I tend to take the view that BBC sport in this instance takes itself rather too seriously. A panel of "experts" decides who the final 12 will be and then -and only then -does the public get to be involved. I suspect that the public might have come up with most if not all of these anyway, and also a few others who may be equally deserving. I suppose there has to be a starting point, though presumably the first vote from a member of the public could be such. Perhaps it is done to stop spurious votes from, say, a very well supported football club, or an organisation with a political agenda, if that sports person was well known for supporting a particular cause. Be interested to see others' views on this -happy to accept it is I who is over-reacting. . .

Something like this happened a few years back. Bob Nudd won the world freshwater angling champs (I think for a third time) and all the major fishing publications ran a campaign to vote him in (at that time the votes were 'open'). Lots of stories around at the time that he won easily but the Beeb wouldn't give it to him or admit it.

Edit - it was 1991

https://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/world-of-sport/sports-personalities-never-162918962.html

El Sid

May 10, 2012
West Sussex
Whilst I don't think he should win it, I reckon Rooney should be in instead of Bale.
101 caps & 46 goals is an exceptional achievement.

I'll get me coat. getmecoat.gif

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I'm surprised one of the women footballers doesn't make the list.

I was surprised that none of the women's rugby players didn't - they won the World Cup, surely that should have been recognised? Emily Scarratt and Danielle Waterman had good tournaments while Maggie Alphonsi has had a great career and being nominated would have been a worthy honour for her

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Me too, but I reckon it'll go to a millionaire go-kart driver who is dependent on a team of engineers and technicians with a huge budget to win anything.......

Or maybe a millionaire golfer who decided he wasn't ready for marriage as they were sending the invites! (Just a tad late my boy)

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
After choosing to represent Ireland in the next Olympics, I won't be voting for McIlroy, despite his achievements. Good luck to Jo Pavey.

I can't be doing with this sort of nonsense. It is well know McIlroy has had to think long and hard about that decision, as he feels both British and Irish. I doubt battling with the idea of representing any other foreign nationality would bring out this sort of response - it's very sad.

Pavey or Peaty for me. I think any British swimmer competing and competing on the world stage is due massive respect, given the absolute mess the British swimming organisational body consistently makes of making us competitive. They're right up there with British Tennis.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
No Josh "Ratboy" Bryceland, Gee Atherton or Manon Carpenter?? Pfff.....
My votes going to Lizzy Yarnold....great achievement in the Sochi Games...and a better arse in lycra than any of the others :wink:

Last edited:

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I'd vote for Pavey, but I expect that it'll go to Hamilton - wrapping up the F1 Championship last weekend is perfect timing.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
I agree its likely to be between Hamilton and McIlroy, but I'd love to see Pavey or Yarnold win it. At least they do have a personality!

It's all a bit old hat now. I think they should have removed the word "Personality" when Murray won it, couldn't be arsed to come back from his hols to pick it up and droned his way through the most boring acceptance speech ever.

Not quite sure what "the garden" is doing on the list. Whilst there is some level of skill in it, I just don't think someone sitting on an arthritic horse that just minces about, is a worthy winner. Hardly gets the pulse racing does it?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I was surprised that none of the women's rugby players didn't - they won the World Cup, surely that should have been recognised? Emily Scarratt and Danielle Waterman had good tournaments while Maggie Alphonsi has had a great career and being nominated would have been a worthy honour for her

Team of the year ?

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I agree its likely to be between Hamilton and McIlroy, but I'd love to see Pavey or Yarnold win it. At least they do have a personality!

It's all a bit old hat now. I think they should have removed the word "Personality" when Murray won it, couldn't be arsed to come back from his hols to pick it up and droned his way through the most boring acceptance speech ever.

Not quite sure what "the garden" is doing on the list. Whilst there is some level of skill in it, I just don't think someone sitting on an arthritic horse that just minces about, is a worthy winner. Hardly gets the pulse racing does it?

He wasn't on his holidays, he'd just had an operation on his back and was training to get himself fit again.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I would expect if Steven Gerrard had led Liverpool to European Cup glory, a week later scored the goals to give them a Premier League title then chose that moment to retire from the sport and go out on a massive high he'd be red-hot favourite to win it and a shoe-in for the Top 3. Yet this is exactly what JONNY WILKINSON has done and he doesn't even make the 10. Piss poor decision from the panel that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here