Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Bayern go after Chelsea coach...

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
So Chelsea are disappointed about another team going after one of their coaches... Pot. Kettle. Black.

''The Blues are understood to be disappointed with their former manager for making his interest public''

Which one? Never come across him tbh.
There can’t be many non-Albion left?

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Curious and curiouser........

Chelsea sack Champions League winner Thomas Tuchel and quickly appoint Graham Potter.

Bayern Munich sack Julian Nagelsmann and quickly appoint Champions League winner Thomas Tuchel.

Who has a better footballing pedigree and would you fancy to make the right decision, FC Bayern Munchen or a fat yank businessman in Todd Boehley?

This could get very funny indeed.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Curious and curiouser........

Chelsea sack Champions League winner Thomas Tuchel and quickly appoint Graham Potter.

Bayern Munich sack Julian Nagelsmann and quickly appoint Champions League winner Thomas Tuchel.

Who has a better footballing pedigree and would you fancy to make the right decision, FC Bayern Munchen or a fat yank businessman in Todd Boehley?

This could get very funny indeed.

I’ve said for ages that Boehly will stick with Potter. Two reasons - Boehly’s ego, to prove he was correct going down the ‘up and coming coach’ route, plus imho he really believes that providing Potter with the best part of a £b in new players will see him overcome Guardiola, Arteta and Ten Hag.

I suspect Potter will be there for quite a while yet.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I’ve said for ages that Boehly will stick with Potter. Two reasons - Boehly’s ego, to prove he was correct going down the ‘up and coming coach’ route, plus imho he really believes that providing Potter with the best part of a £b in new players will see him overcome Guardiola, Arteta and Ten Hag.

I don't think people become billionaires by allowing their ego to preclude sacking someone they have appointed.

But I agree Potter won't be sacked any time soon. There is an expectation that Potter will succeed.

What is harder to fathom is the massive spending splurge at Chelsea. I thought the plan was to coach the best out of the squad inherited, not act like Mourinho is still in charge. Or Harry Redknapp. That said....whenever did Chelsea say they would stop splurging on players?

When Potter was appointed maybe they simply saw him as a very good coach, young, and capable of bringing some stability to the club.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I don't think people become billionaires by allowing their ego to preclude sacking someone they have appointed.

But I agree Potter won't be sacked any time soon. There is an expectation that Potter will succeed.

What is harder to fathom is the massive spending splurge at Chelsea. I thought the plan was to coach the best out of the squad inherited, not act like Mourinho is still in charge. Or Harry Redknapp. That said....whenever did Chelsea say they would stop splurging on players?

When Potter was appointed maybe they simply saw him as a very good coach, young, and capable of bringing some stability to the club.
Boehly in just weeks abandoned spending Plan A of being a more expensive version of Bloom’s, into all out not a plan B …. Abramovich/Fiorentino Perez on steriods. Breaking all time global football spending records. The sole difference, 7 year contracts purely to circumvent FFP. Something UEFA have now closed down as a result.

Why?

The all or nothing CL top 4 $$$$$$$ place scenario. There’s absolutely nothing like it in US sport, each season a complete reset there for everyone. It skews everything here, I don’t know if it’s fair. Abu Dhabi and the newly owned Manure will buy two of the slots ad infinitum. Leaving half a dozen clubs to fight it out for 2, or 3 from 2024/25.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Boehly in just weeks abandoned spending Plan A of being a more expensive version of Bloom’s, into all out not a plan B …. Abramovich/Fiorentino Perez on steriods. Breaking all time global football spending records. The sole difference, 7 year contracts purely to circumvent FFP. Something UEFA have now closed down as a result.

Why?

The all or nothing CL top 4 $$$$$$$ place scenario. There’s absolutely nothing like it in US sport, each season a complete reset there for everyone. It skews everything here, I don’t know if it’s fair. Abu Dhabi and the newly owned Manure will buy two of the slots ad infinitum. Leaving half a dozen clubs to fight it out for 2, or 3 from 2024/25.
Do you think Boehly has naively dropped a bollock, then? I have no idea, because I don't understand big money.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Do you think Boehly has naively dropped a bollock, then? I have no idea, because I don't understand big money.
Financially - no. Look at the way buyers are feting the Glazer’s, who’ve upped the price to £6b, whilst Middle East funds of states look to invest in other English clubs. His investment is secure.

Football - I think Boehly will give Potter until the middle of next season, so the jury’s out. Boehly imho didn’t wholly realise the financial importance of making top 4 every season. I bet he didn’t envisage a mid table position with EPL wins a rarity.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex

Have you ever considered that one day Potter might get fed up with the circus and walk? (After negotiating an exit package for him and his mates)

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Why would a manager resigning get compensation ! No chance.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
If you're a Chelsea supporter, and none of us are that deluded or arrogant, surely you'd be thinking we get in Nagelsman or Conte now...
They're running out of the elite managers they deserve.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here