Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Battlefield 3 - XBox

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
I've taken the leap from MW to this beast - with no manual to sit down with (aside form the online one), can anyone help me with the online multiplayer? What the heckins is going on? I choose 'Any' to get into a game, am dropped into a massive (massive) map, and this sounds silly but what do I do?

With MW, you're pretty much spoon-fed objectives - the little map is nice and big so you can tell where in the grand scheme of things you are, red dots show up and you head for them, you shoot anything that doesn't look like you and Bob's your uncle. BF3 seems more circumspect though: it's obviously not run and gun, battles go on for ages but I've yet to start a game at the beginning - it feels as if I'm a latecomer and people have already been in it for a while. It's very disorientating at the moment.

Can anyone give me a beginner's guide to it all?

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
I've taken the leap from MW to this beast - with no manual to sit down with (aside form the online one), can anyone help me with the online multiplayer? What the heckins is going on? I choose 'Any' to get into a game, am dropped into a massive (massive) map, and this sounds silly but what do I do?

With MW, you're pretty much spoon-fed objectives - the little map is nice and big so you can tell where in the grand scheme of things you are, red dots show up and you head for them, you shoot anything that doesn't look like you and Bob's your uncle. BF3 seems more circumspect though: it's obviously not run and gun, battles go on for ages but I've yet to start a game at the beginning - it feels as if I'm a latecomer and people have already been in it for a while. It's very disorientating at the moment.

I haven`t played it in a while but you need to get a vehicle.,play in conqest mode spawn at base for a vehicle land or air or spawn at a zone , a b c or d for instant battle .It`s the best game out there once you get into it ,

Laughing Gravy

I'm a ****
Jan 8, 2010
In my bungalow
I Have been playing Bf3 since last December and I love it, but its a hard game to get use too.
You have got to be prepared to get owned for the first few weeks.
i felt the same as you. I was dropped into this bloodbath and was getting killed every second and most of the time I couldn't even see the twat that popped a cap in my arse.
Best bit of advise I can give you, is to choose an empty server and get to know the maps. Karkand is a good one. Then play on servers with just a few players and join a SQUAD. You can learn so much from watching these guys and they will nearly always revive you if you get popped.
I also stayed on infantry only servers for a while.
Good luck

Dec 29, 2011
Play Conquest - basically the number of respawns is the number in the bottom right (or left, can't remember). You have to capture flags to get point, but the flags themselves don't give you points unless you own the majority of them.

Rush is a bit like Search and Destroy on MW but there are 2 targets to destroy, and once destroyed you move onto 2 more targets. This happens four times and the defenders have to try and stop the attackers destroying the targets.

I'd say look online (This site is pretty good Battlefield 3 - Battlefield Wiki - Battlefield 3, Bad Company 2, Weapons, Levels, Maps, Characters and more!) and just play,play, play to get the hang of it :)

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Go to server browser and filter so it shows tdm matches will help you get a better understanding of how to run and shoot! Then try rush and conquest. Brilliant game had it over a year now and still play it 2-3 times a week!

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
Much like you, I started 2 weeks ago and I got my butt kicked constantly, you should also play the single player campaign to get used to the controls. I still get owned as most people seem to be 10s of levels above me with weapons that kill instantly compared to my peashooter which needs 50 shots to kill, I know it might annoy others but sit back during the battles and observe a bit before charging in try to get used to the maps.

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
you need to get a vehicle
That does look cool.

choose an empty server and get to know the maps.
I didn't realise you could do that; bloody good idea though.

I wouldn't have looked at that one - cheers.

sit back during the battles and observe a bit before charging in try to get used to the maps.
Nail & head.

Thanks for the helping hands chaps.

I've just come off of a game of Conquest: I don't know which map (there was a market place, a town square etc) and I was killed 14 times in a row - not ONCE did I see the person who shot me. Awfully annoying but at the same time I can feel myself becoming more attuned to it, and since there's no rush to get stuck in (for heaven's sake, there's a map set in and around a motorway at night that's bloody huge) and battles do seem to go on for AGES, you were all very correct in basically telling me to calm down, watch, listen, learn.

Quickly though, is there a point to being in a Squad? You have the option to spawn in one or alone but it's not apparent what the dis/advantages are.

00snook

Aug 20, 2007
Southsea

I love this game. It's immense and so much better that COD, which I also love.

PM me your gamertag and I will be in touch at weekend.

Let's join up in a squad and will show you the ropes.

Squads are awesome cause you can spawn on your squad and work together towards your objective.

2 people in a tank (one gunner and one driver) is great fun.

JamesAndTheGiantHead

Sep 2, 2011
Worthing
Truly one of the best games of this current generation.

Join a squad, work out what class is missing, and try and fill that role. The game is very hard at first, your accuracy and damage will be comparatively poor, but if you stick with it and rank up, you'll get all the good stuff.

Levelling up is in classes, but if you want to get good points quickly, play as an engineer on the larger maps and as assault/medic on the smaller ones. With the engineer, your job is to protect your own vehicles and destroy enemy ones.
Without some of the perks, destroying enemy tanks with the RPG will be a pain at first, but if you stay close to one of your own and repair it when it gets damaged (which will be frequent, as people tend to prioritise attacking tanks over anything else, as they go through infantry the quickest), and pop out with your repair tool for some easy points.

On the smaller maps, grand bazaar/metro etc , you want to be doing the same only staying close to your squad of men, and throwing down health packs and reviving people when they die. This will help the team and is a quicker way of getting points than actually trying to kill people.

Once you've earned your stripes and levelled up these two classes, you'll have a better idea of how the game works, and will be better equipped to have more fun at running around and blowing stuff up for yourself.

Helicopters are absolutely LETHAL (Little Bird being my personal favourite vehicle in the whole game, extremely manoeuvrable and guns that go through walls like paper), but require a LOT of practise, I wouldn't recommend just jumping in one on a full server, because you'll likely smash it into the ground 5 seconds after take off and become very unpopular with your team. Jets are very fun, but almost entirely a waste of time as they do little to help people on the ground other than damage the odd tank or two.

I also personally find the sniper class useless, but that may just be me.

Stick with it, the more you play, the better it gets!

Last edited:

Dec 29, 2011
Also get used to flying jets, watch some videos on Youtube and post here if you're having problems. Seriously, once you have mastered the jet it's almost impossible to get shot down and you can dominate the sky (and stay alive) for 500-1,000 respawns. It doesn't get you a whole lot of points but it's fun as hell and definitely takes the game to a whole new level for me. Typing this really makes me want to play Battle Field

Also that advice posted above me is top advice, follow it and you can't go far wrong (especially the Medic bit).

HHGull

BZ fan club
Dec 29, 2011
Quickly though, is there a point to being in a Squad? You have the option to spawn in one or alone but it's not apparent what the dis/advantages are.[/QUOTE]

There are only a few times you shouldn't be in a squad and I won't bore you with them here. The advantages are you will earn more points (so rank up quicker), you will get revived and healed more, but most importantly it is the teamplay that sets BF3 aside from MW and other games. Get yourself in a squad that's works together and for each other and it's brilliant fun.

Enjoy!

Jello

He's Not A Jelly Belly
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Another tip for easy points and help you're side is to spot spot spot! Can't remember if it's the back or start button but when you see opposition press button and it highlights their position with red marker. If they are killed by your team you get points, also works for tanks planes etc.
Another reason to be in a squad is you get extra points if your squad use your ammo or health packs. Not played for a while but love the game.

fruitnveg

Jul 22, 2010
Waitrose. Veg aisles
Another tip for easy points and help you're side is to spot spot spot! Can't remember if it's the back or start button but when you see opposition press button and it highlights their position with red marker. If they are killed by your team you get points, also works for tanks planes etc.
Another reason to be in a squad is you get extra points if your squad use your ammo or health packs. Not played for a while but love the game.

Its back. That button is your best friend.

If anyone fancies some games, I play on xbox, gamertag is ithun

JamesAndTheGiantHead

Sep 2, 2011
Worthing
Another tip for easy points and help you're side is to spot spot spot!

This. In fact, as a general rule, before you shoot anyone I would recommend pressing back/select, just in case you miss. Then hopefully someone else will pick them off for you and you'll still get points.

Flex Your Head

I've just come off of a game of Conquest: I don't know which map (there was a market place, a town square etc) and I was killed 14 times in a row - not ONCE did I see the person who shot me. Awfully annoying but at the same time I can feel myself becoming more attuned to it, and since there's no rush to get stuck in (for heaven's sake, there's a map set in and around a motorway at night that's bloody huge) and battles do seem to go on for AGES, you were all very correct in basically telling me to calm down, watch, listen, learn.
Now that anyone can hire a server and set the game parameters to what they like, you'll find that a load of games run at 400 or 500% tokens, meaning they take absolutely ages to play.

If you want to start and finish an entire round of Conquest (or whatever game mode you fancy) look for servers that offer 100% or 'normal' tokens. There are generally [DICE] servers that run at 100% and I also play on the AVForums server a lot as it's 100% and has all the classic Conquest maps.

I generally play as an engineer on the bigger maps and have 6 AT mines which get me a load of points for disabling and destroying vehicles, as well as killing enemies. I
used to play as a medic on the samller maps such as Metro, but I now play as Support on those; laying down ammo boxes for my side gets loads of points, and having a heavy machine gun with 200 rounds before reloading gives immense suppression which also score points.

It's a truly great game, possibly my all-time favourite. I haven't bought any of the new map packs or anything; are they worth it?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here