Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Baseball shocker

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
The US has failed to qualify for the baseball at next summer's Olympic Games. The reigning gold medalists were beaten 2-1 by Mexico.

In the round robin stage, the US won all three games, while Mexico lost all three. Mexico only got through because the Bahamas didn't show up for the game.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
How the hell do have they qualifications for baseball? There must only be about 10 countries who play it.

Still, it would be a laugh to be in the US now, watching their reaction to that.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
What a great shame :p

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
CAFC Matt said:
Pompous pricks - serves em right :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

That's funny....a Brit calling the Americans pompous:rolleyes:

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
So who plays in the US side for the Olmpics?
I assume it's not the Baseball equivalent of the old Basketball Dream Team?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
It's called the World Series because the newspaper The World started it off...

:rolleyes:

JEM

Jul 5, 2003
Bevendean
Brady's Old Lady said:
Henceforth they should be banned from calling their parochial national league the "World Series"

You just beat me to that one.

Now football. There's a game for yer. A truly GLOBAL sport. A game most countries on the planet are glad to call their national game.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Pavilionaire said:

Damn, you are too quick for me, I knew that.
"Starting it off " is a strange way of putting it though. I Think Thw World sponsored the inaugrial series.

Juan Albion

Pavilionaire said:

How many times! That is simply not true. It is an urban myth.

Cuba are likely the other qualifiers from here. I believe Italy and Holland have also qualified. I expect Australia will, too. The rest I don't know yet.

And no, there were very few professional players in the US squad at this stage. There was already talk that Roger Clemens would pitch for them once they got to the Olympics...

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Juan Albion said:
How many times! That is simply not true. It is an urban myth.

If so, it was an Urban Myth being given air time by Five during this years World Series.

Juan Albion

Then Five don't know what they are talking about.

"The New York World was established in 1860, just before the Civil War, and it fared poorly throughout the 1870s before being bought up by Joseph Pulitzer in 1883. Over the next half-century, the World was renowned for everything from its "yellow journalism" to its debut of the crossword puzzle; in 1930 it was sold and merged with the Evening Telegram to become the New York World-Telegram. The New York World never had anything to do with the World Series, however, other than being one of the many newspapers to report the results. The modern World Series (like its predecessor series waged between National League and American Association teams from 1884-1890) was so named not because of any affiliation with a corporate sponsor, but because the winner was considered the "world's champion" -- the title was therefore simply a shortened form of the phrase "world's championship series."

Brady's Old Lady

Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Juan Albion said:
Then Five don't know what they are talking about.

"The New York World was established in 1860, just before the Civil War, and it fared poorly throughout the 1870s before being bought up by Joseph Pulitzer in 1883. Over the next half-century, the World was renowned for everything from its "yellow journalism" to its debut of the crossword puzzle; in 1930 it was sold and merged with the Evening Telegram to become the New York World-Telegram. The New York World never had anything to do with the World Series, however, other than being one of the many newspapers to report the results. The modern World Series (like its predecessor series waged between National League and American Association teams from 1884-1890) was so named not because of any affiliation with a corporate sponsor, but because the winner was considered the "world's champion" -- the title was therefore simply a shortened form of the phrase "world's championship series."

And let's face it what do boy bands know about sporting history!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here