Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bas and George

Booley

Dec 23, 2004
East Acton
It funny that a footballer has come to our club in the last year and has attacked the Chairman and some have swallowed his words.
George he is a quality player and I would love to see him stay, but if he is unsettling other players he should not be coming back and shouldn't be playing at Yeovil.
As for Bas he is a average league 1 striker, hes a big lump and gives another option hes not prolific but is a good target man.
If he thinks that he is worth more then the club is offering then he can move on, but lets face it I can't see many other teams wanting to snap him up. I'm sure Dick and Dean will have an idea of what players are around and their values etc.
As for him dying his hair blue and red if it is a sign of where he is moving or whatever he should no longer be celebrated as a legend at this club.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
id say it is more concerning that first bertin, now savage, and it looks like o'callaghan, three key players, have walked out on the club in the last six months - and one of those DEFINENTLY didnt have anything better lined up

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
Three players, all of whom think they are better than they really are and have tried to call the bluff of the responsible chairman of a club that hasn't got a pot to piss in but is still there with a fighting chance of getting into the play-offs again.

Let em go.

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
Bertin possibly had a mrs who wanted to be closer to La Belle France.

Bas did a runner from Gillingham after they had worked hard on improving his game.

George fell out with Cork City.

scooter1

How soon is now?
id say it is more concerning that first bertin, now savage, and it looks like o'callaghan, three key players, have walked out on the club in the last six months - and one of those DEFINENTLY didnt have anything better lined up

In essence every player thinks they are better than they are, its all part of the game. After all Geoff Thomas believed he should play for Englnd - and somehow he did....but he was never good enough! The bottom line is Brighton can't afford to pay these people what they believe they deserve, and until they can justify that they are better than the £XXXX they want to earn then they have to leave. Cullip, I would say is a classic example of this - and look how his career has gone from strength to errrrr strength.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
It funny that a footballer has come to our club in the last year and has attacked the Chairman and some have swallowed his words.
George he is a quality player and I would love to see him stay, but if he is unsettling other players he should not be coming back and shouldn't be playing at Yeovil.
As for Bas he is a average league 1 striker, hes a big lump and gives another option hes not prolific but is a good target man.
If he thinks that he is worth more then the club is offering then he can move on, but lets face it I can't see many other teams wanting to snap him up. I'm sure Dick and Dean will have an idea of what players are around and their values etc.
As for him dying his hair blue and red if it is a sign of where he is moving or whatever he should no longer be celebrated as a legend at this club.

I would suggest that the Chairman is culpable here.....

Professional footballers want deals confirmed and signed as quickly as possible, it helps their confidence and can improve performance ( they really are fragile souls ).

Of course they will try and negotiate the best deal possible for them whilst the Club's have to work within certain financial constraints.

Now no-one on here really knows the likely figures that the players agents are asking but the discussion point should be the reluctance of the club to sort these deals quicker, not just with these 2 but others before.

And this continues to be the stumbling block to any real chance of medium term progress, its like playing snakes and ladders with the Clubs future.

As the delays continue and no real deal is on the table then what do you expect the players agent to do ??

He must start looking for a 'plan b' for his client it his job !! ( I have a healthy disrespect for agents too ) but.............

He then gauges the players demand and likely gets offers that might look attractive.

Its unecessary for the Chairman to be the self appointed broker for these deals as he seems to drag his feet then blasts the players in the press.

My worry now is Dean Hammond, now what kind of offers do you think his agent has found from his plan b. ????

So goodbye both Bas and George...it remains that Bas has become a good foil for Forster and George was guys I am afraid class..they will be missed..feel for Wilkins.

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
The chairman either has no money to spend, or won't spend it.
Until we get someone in with the ability to open their wallet, things like this are going to happen all the time.

Our season is about to fall apart because we can't hold on to players.

It's no use moaning at the players, if the chairman can't afford to run the club, then we need someone that can.

DK seems to want the accolades as he walks out at Falmer waving to the crowd.
Fine - no problem, but walk out standing next to someone that actually invested some money in building the team as well.

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
Until we get someone in with the ability to open their wallet, things like this are going to happen all the time.
I think it's the latter, however, it's not his fault people don't accept notes with King George on anymore.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

Our season is about to fall apart because we can't hold on to players.

It's no use moaning at the players, if the chairman can't afford to run the club, then we need someone that can.

DK seems to want the accolades as he walks out at Falmer waving to the crowd.
Fine - no problem, but walk out standing next to someone that actually invested some money in building the team as well.
In essence I agree with you, but we can all play 'fantasy chairman' and say who we'd like to see running the club. So, yes, it's no use moaning at the players - but it's also no use moaning at the chairman as he's currently the only one who's stuck his head over the parapet to do the job.

Personally I'm pleased that he's not sending us (further) down the path to insolvency. I know others have the "you've got to speculate to accumulate" attitiude and in fairness that has indeed worked well with Forster, but I don't think Savage and O'Callaghan fall into the bracket of 'must have' players.

One is on loan and obviously doesn't want to stay any longer, one was quite good but got greedy and found himself without a club and the third is a fairly useless lump who had his career re-awakened by the Albion and now feels he is worth breaking the bank to keep him and will soon find himself picking splinters out of his ass because he'll be riding the sub's bench so often wherever else he goes.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
In essence I agree with you, but we can all play 'fantasy chairman' and say who we'd like to see running the club. So, yes, it's no use moaning at the players - but it's also no use moaning at the chairman as he's currently the only one who's stuck his head over the parapet to do the job.

Personally I'm pleased that he's not sending us (further) down the path to insolvency. I know others have the "you've got to speculate to accumulate" attitiude and in fairness that has indeed worked well with Forster, but I don't think Savage and O'Callaghan fall into the bracket of 'must have' players.

I agree wholeheartedly as for not spending vast amounts of money, that would be dangerous of course.

However I will suggest that maybe we are not talking massive increases in expenditure throwing out 5 year contracts.

We are talking about a chairman that had an opportunity to deal with players contracts promptly and with care at a time when there is/was a real chance of of the 'play offs' and he has plainly failed.

He hasnt been slow in wasting money on some dodgy clauses with some players that wont figure whilst offering attractive money to young players that have yet to establish their pedigree.

So not to show the same characteristics to current playing staff is odd !!

His rant that the team was WOEFUL at Millwall might of been accurate, but to deal with his own complacency by publicly slaughtering a team that has performed so well this year shows a man that is more interested in his own position than that of the team.

Stumpy Tim

I find it funny that people believe that DK should spend loads on the Albion because he's chairman... why the f*** should he? He spent 30 years building his money - why should "Potless" Knight give it away? He's not a billionaire... he has enough to keep his family happy when he passes away & enough to keep a football club afloat. He doesn't have enough on top of that to spend tonnes of cash on wages for players.

There is no one to take over, he saved the Albion, give him some respect. I wouldn't waste a penny to keep most of the twats that call themselves Albion fans happy

Bas is a good target man only if it means he doesn't have to jump for the ball-even Cox and Robinson can out-jump him. I have never seen a player with his height be so hopeless in the air.

He's easily replaceable.

Some people come to this club and after a short while they think themselves more important than they actually are to the scheme of things. Perhaps it's the 'modest' facilities, or the ground-level friendliness and simple approachability that Brighton has, over the 'corridors of power' grandiosity of big clubs like Arsenal or Manchester United - clubs they themselves will NEVER see as players.

That's alright though - let them go the way of others who had over-assumed their stature in this business of football, then they can figure it out (too late) and let the pangs of remorse jab at them.

It may look like a small company, but it's still a big thing, to work for. It's also a constant 'shop window'.
The right way, if you want out, and are capable of proving yourself - is to do your optimum best and show the sort of work-rate and talent that can elevate any side.

Sadly for them, a couple of (let's face it, average at best) players don't 'get it'.
Reserve football for them, or the same as here but at a lower level, I'll wager.

Happily for us, onward, and upward for Brighton, so let's have any malcontents off, and their lockers fumigated asap.

Last edited:

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I find it funny that people believe that DK should spend loads on the Albion because he's chairman... why the f*** should he? He spent 30 years building his money - why should "Potless" Knight give it away? He's not a billionaire... he has enough to keep his family happy when he passes away & enough to keep a football club afloat. He doesn't have enough on top of that to spend tonnes of cash on wages for players.

There is no one to take over, he saved the Albion, give him some respect. I wouldn't waste a penny to keep most of the twats that call themselves Albion fans happy

I havent a clue whether DK is a saviour or a hindrance.

One thing I am sure about is that you have to deal with contracts promptly and with great care to keep and attract players.

Its a professional club.....................

Remember Hammond is yet to be in any extensive talks and he is free to move on in the Summer.........hardly prudent for the clubs finances.

brighton bluenose

Jan 6, 2006
Nicollet & 66th
I havent a clue whether DK is a saviour or a hindrance.

One thing I am sure about is that you have to deal with contracts promptly and with great care to keep and attract players.

Its a professional club.....................

Remember Hammond is yet to be in any extensive talks and he is free to move on in the Summer.........hardly prudent for the clubs finances.

Hasn't DK been having discussions with Savages agent for several months?

This is now coming to a head because Dick is exasperated with Savage not signing up to what DK thinks is a decent offer - unless anyone on here knows
the exact terms of that offer (which we clearly dont!) then it is impossible to know whether the player is being greedy or not.

As for your earlier comment about it being 'unneccessary for the chairman to be the self-appointed broker for these deals' who do you expect to resolve them - the groundstaff?

There are five months or so until the end of the season, plenty of time to sort Hammonds contract when it will be clearer where we are likely to finish so Dean can be paid the appropriate wages - either Div 1 or Championship, which has got to be better for the club and the player.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here