[TV] Barry Cryer - RIP

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
The author, Séamas O'Reilly
@shockproofbeats
Replying to
@_F_B_G_
Barry Cryer told a great one about Nicholas Parsons, who'd asked Ross Noble his favourite comedian. "Richard Pryor" he said. "Genius! So sad he set himself on fire trying to freebase crack cocaine!".

Parsons, visibly upset, asked Barry later: "did you hear about Richard Briers?"

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Don't think I can possibly put it better than this

[tweet]1486656034924023812[/tweet]

osgood

Apr 17, 2011
brighton
The author, Séamas O'Reilly
@shockproofbeats
Replying to
@_F_B_G_
Barry Cryer told a great one about Nicholas Parsons, who'd asked Ross Noble his favourite comedian. "Richard Pryor" he said. "Genius! So sad he set himself on fire trying to freebase crack cocaine!".

Parsons, visibly upset, asked Barry later: "did you hear about Richard Briers?"

Good Ol Nick !:lolol::lolol:

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
Sad news ...

If you do podcasts then I'd highly recommend this Now, Where Were We? with Barry Cryer and Bob Cryer. Basically Barry gets to tell a lot of jokes, anecdotes in the company of his industry friends. Some great stories from his career.

I was about to recommend this myself - very very funny. Such a shame that there will be so few of these.
I envy those who saw him live. Comic genius.

Billy in Bristol

Mar 25, 2004
Bristol
Saw a live recording of ISIHAC the edited bits were amazing. That he gets great tributes from the current crop speaks volumes.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Bumped into Barry Cryer on The Kenny Everett Show (which he co-wrote and starred in, of course), waaaaaay down the TV schedules just last week.

Was too young to appreciate it when aired, but it's proper genius.

The channel was That's TV Gold (I think), but there's quite a lot of it on YouTube.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Don't think I can possibly put it better than this

[tweet]1486656034924023812[/tweet]

Herring's RHLSTP interview with Barry last year was great. Cryer would make a birthday call to friends every year to tell them a, (usually filthy) joke. He shared the fantastic one he told Herring last year on the podcast: https://play.acast.com/s/rhlstp/rhlstp345-barrycryer The preamble is at 35 mins and the gag starts at about 36:30. The follow up one is also very good. If you have time, treat yourself and listen to the whole thing. He was a genuine comedy enthusiast, a very talented writer and I've never heard anyone have a bad word to say about him. It really feels like the end of an era.

PeakGull

Aug 30, 2017
Derbyshire
In 2013, Cryer was asked by the Yorkshire Post for his favourite joke. He answered: “A man drives down a country lane and runs over a cockerel. He knocks at a nearby farmhouse door and a woman answers.

“‘I appear to have killed your cockerel,’ he says. ‘I’d like to replace it.’ The woman replies: ‘Please yourself – the hens are round the back’.”

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
An average innings these days but hopefully no suffering.

Certainly part of the UK's 'royal family' in the vocational sense.

Jul 7, 2003
RIP Baz. Was lucky enough to see him live a few times. Another loss for the ISIHAC team but Humph, Willie, Tim and Jeremy will be welcoming him into the celestial version.

As many have said, he was a great writer of gags for so many people but he was also a great historian of comedy. His knowledge of the comedy from the old music hall days right through to modern day comics was immense. There is a series on Sky Arts he hosted about this which is worth a look.

You might look at the list of who he has written for and think it was all old stuff but he was highly respected by a lot of young comedians and wrote for them as well.

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
Very funny man, will be sadly missed. A true comedy great - he helped so many young comics as well.
R.I.P.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
A woman sees a parrot on sale for just £5.

“I must confess, it was brought up in a brothel,” says the shopkeeper. “And, to put it politely, it has quite an extensive vocabulary.”

“Never mind,” says the woman. “At that price, I’ll take it.”

So she takes the parrot home, puts its cage in the living room and takes the cover off.

“New place – very nice,” says the parrot.

Then the woman’s two daughters walk in.

“New place, new girls – very nice,” says the parrot.

Then the woman’s husband walks in, and the parrot says, “Oh hello, Keith!”

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
A moth goes into a chiropodist’s.

The chiropodist asks how he can help and the moth says: “I’m so depressed. My wife has left me, my son is a drug addict and my daughter is pregnant. No one likes me”.

The chiropodist looks shocked and says: “Oh dear, it sounds as though you need to see a psychiatrist. I’m a chiropodist, why did you come in here?”

To which the moth replies: “The light was on…”

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
So many funny TV comedies over the years, not until the credits roll and you see "written by Barry Cryer" .....

Well know for his radio and TV shows, of course, but so much more credit for his behind-the-scenes comedy writing.

A very gifted entertainer I'd love to have spent time with along with the likes of Spike Milligan, Harry Seacome, etc, what a hoot !

RIP Funny man.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
R.I.P. Barry Cryer. I echo the sentiments on this thread, then man lived and breathed comedy and was naturally gifted. He would want everyone today to to be sharing the jokes he loved, so here goes:

“You know the guy who shot a golden eagle? Preserved species. And he was in court in front of a magistrate. And the magistrate said: ‘This is a dreadful scene’. He said: ‘I never intended to. I was shooting pheasants, it flew into my line of fire. Complete accident’. So the magistrate said: ‘As a matter of interest, what did you do with it?’ He said: ‘I ate it.’ The magistrate said: ‘What did it taste like?’ and he said: ‘Rather like a swan’.”

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here