Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Barney Ronay at his best - Grimsby match

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Irony personified.
No doubt will it seem that way. I have had and have a lot of fun following the unusual gentleman that is Graham Potter and will always appreciate his attitude, style of football and skills. Part of why I like his attitude is because he thinks football is a team game with 11 humans in each side, and hundreds of staff members helping the team outside of the pitch.

I like him, I think he's one of the best blokes in football. Part of why I like him is that win or lose, he never thinks its all about the manager (and neither does De Zerbi, I think) or any specific player.

I defended the club and TB when people here thought GP would ragequit if Tony didn't give him expensive new toys. Didn't think he would demand that, and more importantly I didn't think it was worth/intelligent so sacrifice the financial stability of the club to accomodate a manager. Because not everything is about the manager.

Both when it comes to GP and RDZ, there's been situations where they could take a shit on the floor in front of you and you'd be convinced it was chocolate mousse. I thought it was silly then and would rather talk about players and I thought it is silly now.

I just don't understand this desire to always point out one or two individuals as the heroes that can't do anything wrong and turn everything to gold, and one or two as the villains who can't do anything right and turn everything to shit.

You'd be a lot better of abandoning this weird cultural trait of building up people to be larger than life and reducing people to useless waste of oxygen. Looking at the politics proves my point: Boris doesn't get in if he isn't built up as some sort of charismatic hero of the people. But when it was time to get rid of him, you failed to see all the Tories because of all the Boris and your torment continues.

When will you move out of the hyperindividualistic thatcherianism where everything always revolves around a very limited number of individuals?

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Nah, just tired of the cult of personality reducing everyone else (current or former) in the club to a bunch of losers.

I've watched most of these players for several years. I've seen the club play, I've noticed how it operates. Claiming that any specific manager or player is the reason why Brighton aren't likely to lose against Grimsby is not only thick as mince but belittling the capacity and efforts of the 100+ people involved in getting the club to where it is now.
Says the man who is the epitome of the ‘Potter Cult of Personality‘ tedious in the extreme.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
But he is part of the reason! He manages the side, coached the players chose the tactics and picked the team.
If GP or CH were still the manager and they had beaten Grimsby, it would be true for them as well.
The personality of the manager is important, e.g. the first time we got promoted to the top league we had a manager who instilled belief in his side. The first time we got to an FA Cup final we had a larger than life manager (who wasn't actually very good!) and that was part of the reason we got there. When we were at rock bottom, a manager came in to take us back from the abyss.
We now have a manager who many of the players are saying is the real deal, and they have bought into his philosophy. They are better judges of managers than you or I.

The difference between a good and a great manager comes down to the personality and how they get the players to go the extra mile for them.
(Shankly, Clough, Revie, Ferguson, Wenger, Pep, etc). It doesn't always last, but for a time, the personality of the manager shapes the direction of the club.

It may not last here and may indeed be a false dawn, but in this moment, RdZ is doing something special for my club, that no other manager has done.
Good post sums up RDZ, Potter hid behind small club Brighton when results didn’t go the right way re. History lessons.
RDZ has took the same players and turned them into serious contenders to bring success for themselves the club and fans. The only time I’ve ever heard him mention the fans is when he says he tells the players to get them onside early doors as it makes the game easier for them and harder for the opposition.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
No doubt will it seem that way. I have had and have a lot of fun following the unusual gentleman that is Graham Potter and will always appreciate his attitude, style of football and skills. Part of why I like his attitude is because he thinks football is a team game with 11 humans in each side, and hundreds of staff members helping the team outside of the pitch.

I like him, I think he's one of the best blokes in football. Part of why I like him is that win or lose, he never thinks its all about the manager (and neither does De Zerbi, I think) or any specific player.

I defended the club and TB when people here thought GP would ragequit if Tony didn't give him expensive new toys. Didn't think he would demand that, and more importantly I didn't think it was worth/intelligent so sacrifice the financial stability of the club to accomodate a manager. Because not everything is about the manager.

Both when it comes to GP and RDZ, there's been situations where they could take a shit on the floor in front of you and you'd be convinced it was chocolate mousse. I thought it was silly then and would rather talk about players and I thought it is silly now.

I just don't understand this desire to always point out one or two individuals as the heroes that can't do anything wrong and turn everything to gold, and one or two as the villains who can't do anything right and turn everything to shit.

You'd be a lot better of abandoning this weird cultural trait of building up people to be larger than life and reducing people to useless waste of oxygen. Looking at the politics proves my point: Boris doesn't get in if he isn't built up as some sort of charismatic hero of the people. But when it was time to get rid of him, you failed to see all the Tories because of all the Boris and your torment continues.

When will you move out of the hyperindividualistic thatcherianism where everything always revolves around a very limited number of individuals?
You don't half disappear up your own backside at times. That right there is an absolute smorgasboard of sweeping generalisations, opposite extremes to make a point, lazy assumptions and weird tangents.

For the record, I don't think many (if any) have Potter down as a 'villain' and RDZ as the hero. My own opinion seems to fall largely with the majority in that whilst I was disappointed he left when he did, I could understand it and appreciate the foundations he put in at BHAFC. He pissed me off when he came back and gutted our backroom, but thats all by the by now. All this has been said thousands of times on dozens of threads.

RDZ has built on the foundations Potter left behind, then visibly and clearly improved us. The players have bought into his methods, his training, his tactics, his staff, and we are reeping the rewards. We've moved on from GP, but that doesn't mean GP wasn't an important part of how this club has pushed on since the days of Hughton. They've ALL played their part in getting us to this point.

Not that difficult to understand.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Ffs yet another derailed unreadable thread 🤷🏻‍♂️

Like the piece - different journalism. RDZ really deserves credit for yesterday too - never had any doubt once the game started where it was going.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Getting this back on topic this bit made me laugh.

"There are essentially two types of Premier League club: those who are certain of what they want to achieve, what their level is, and what it should look like; and those who flit between methods and plans, dangling success, toying with failure, uncertain how far or high to go with this, which is a very long way of saying the Tottenham Method."

Papak

Not an NSC licker...
Jul 11, 2003
Horsham
Under Hughton, we lost 0-1 to Sheffield Wednesday (who were on their way down to League One that season and utterly wretched). We drew 1-1 with Newport under Potter in 20/21 and scraped by on penalties, then only just limped past Blackpool. Last season we scraped past West Brom under Potter.

I also recall us losing to Canvey Island and Kingstonian, so not as far fetched as you'd think if you've been around for more that 5 minutes.
In the cup in 1995? We drew 2-2 at theirs and won the replay 4-1

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
In the cup in 1995? We drew 2-2 at theirs and won the replay 4-1

Maybe they are getting mixed up with the penalty defeat to Sudbury Town the following season.
Guys, guys... this is a thread about Barney Ronays stylistic qualities. Please don't derail it. Made the mistake of going off track earlier (through commenting... on a sentence.. in the column) and turned out someone will get sad and offended.

:moo:

ConfusedGloryHunter

He/him/his/that muppet
Jul 6, 2011
:ban:

Seriously though, can't be bothered to read a text starting like that. "Roberto De Zerbi has such an impact that Brighton were never likely to lose...". Cult of personality gone wild if you think Brighton were likely to lose against Grimsby with Potter, Hughton, Tom Hark Preston Park or the Holmesdale admin in charge of the team.
I don't think anyone thought it was "likely" that Grimsby would win, unless of course you misunderstood the gallows humour, skittish demands to not tempt fate and the pleading to not be complacent in the last week or two? As for the impact of De Zerbi is it not reasonable to suggest he can take some credit for us overcoming the potential banana skins of Stoke, Boro and Liverpool in order to be involved in the quarter finals in the first place?

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
:ban:

Seriously though, can't be bothered to read a text starting like that. "Roberto De Zerbi has such an impact that Brighton were never likely to lose...". Cult of personality gone wild if you think Brighton were likely to lose against Grimsby with Potter, Hughton, Tom Hark Preston Park or the Holmesdale admin in charge of the team.
You just can't bear it as it isn't talking about your hero. You would not in a hundred years have written that if Potter was still at the helm. C̶u̶l̶t̶ Church of p̶e̶r̶s̶o̶n̶a̶l̶i̶t̶y̶ Potter.

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen
You don't half disappear up your own backside at times. That right there is an absolute smorgasboard of sweeping generalisations, opposite extremes to make a point, lazy assumptions and weird tangents.

For the record, I don't think many (if any) have Potter down as a 'villain' and RDZ as the hero. My own opinion seems to fall largely with the majority in that whilst I was disappointed he left when he did, I could understand it and appreciate the foundations he put in at BHAFC. He pissed me off when he came back and gutted our backroom, but thats all by the by now. All this has been said thousands of times on dozens of threads.

RDZ has built on the foundations Potter left behind, then visibly and clearly improved us. The players have bought into his methods, his training, his tactics, his staff, and we are reeping the rewards. We've moved on from GP, but that doesn't mean GP wasn't an important part of how this club has pushed on since the days of Hughton. They've ALL played their part in getting us to this point.

Not that difficult to understand.
Genius use of 'smorgasbord'

Dancin Ninja BHA

Jul 6, 2003
Can we NOT mention Graham +++king Potter on this thread :mad::mad::mad:

Do you realise @Swansman how irritating it is when you highjack so many threads? Just have a break and let us enjoy the site without the constant sniping and posting overloads that you do. Less is more. look at me, 2000 posts in 20 years. That's sufficient.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
CA2111DE-536A-40FA-8E1E-5C510E46C305.jpeg

Alonso Moseley

Jun 16, 2008
I enjoy shoehorning smorgasbord in as much as possible these days, especially as I’m off to have a smorgasbord in a minute,

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here