Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Barnes

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Just watched 'the challenge'.

Barnes should be ashamed of himself.

As said by many others Barnes was superb v Arsenal, to then do that 20 minutes later is so stupid.

He deserves his 3 match ban.
We need to push on from that shoddy defeat, and if that produces a turn around in form costing Barnes his place, then so be it.

He was on an ever decreasing spiral of form, from late Oct through to Jan.
He seemed to be getting his mojo back, but now will miss half of Feb.

You can't be good enough and available for only half a season.

tubby

Aug 15, 2008
I think Barnes does a good job for us but let us down badly. Although the challenge on Calderon was as bad, sparking the fracas between the benches, the difference was Barnes' challenge was pre-meditated and you knew what was coming. That is why he is blamed for it and people have accepted Dunk's challenge at CP and Kuczak's mistake at Birmingham as they were misjudgements not pre-meditated. Yet again one of our players dropping like they have been hit by a train rather than the touch of a feather has cost us - Buckley for the 2nd goal v Leeds comes to mind. If Barnes had stayed on his feet and done his job there would have been no problem, we would have been 1 goal down and at that point I thought we were playing quite well on a poor pitch. After the sending off and the resulting goal from the free kick we were never going to win the game.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Barnes needs to be very careful over the next few months that he does not become more of a liability than an asset to the club. At present, I can't help thinking that he's in danger of losing his place for more than three games.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Should be an internal fine for that behaviour for the boy. Petulant, dangerous play.

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
Never looked like we would win yesterday, the Barnes sending off is just an excuse..

Really?... I thought if we'd put some pace on the pitch when we had 11 men we'd have torn them apart, sadly though Gus seems reluctant to use natural wingers properly these days, any hope of getting back into the game though was gone with the double whammy of letting a second goal in directly after that THICK SHIT got himself sent off, a real shame for Barnes as he was just starting to play better and win some doubters over then he goes and does that.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
A lot of posters on here seem to be suggesting that Barnes should change his attitude and behaviour. HE CAN'T. Its his nature. Some people mature in life, take responsibility and have an innate ability to think through consequences, quickly, before red mist descends. Ashley Barnes has been playing pro football long enough by now to show all of us that he is capable of changing.
He hasn't and won't. The history of football is littered with players who are walking time-bombs. One tackle or incident away from losing it and over-reacting. None of them ever change. THEY CAN'T.
AB's style of play reflects his character which is not very pleasant. He play-acts constantly, going down at the slightest touch and over-reacting when decisions are not given in his favour. He is niggling and petulant throughout a game, regularly aiming kicks at players that have beaten him to the ball. He goes seeking retribution, either on behalf of himself or a team-mate at the slightest provocation.
In short, he cannot be trusted to act professionally and he undoes any good work. That is why he sharply divides opinion. Some fans simply don't like his character which clearly isn't genuine. Others are prepared to overlook this and concentrate on the strengths he has, whilst others will concentrate on his limitations.
My fear is that those of you out there waiting for AB to change will have a long wait.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
everyone knows barnes is a d**khead as a person, it obviouly filters into his football too

I had a long chat with him a couple of years ago and I will say the opposite. I have also seen him with his wife and child and he looks happy and caring. I admit my exposure to him is limited but he seems a decent chap to me.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Should be an internal fine for that behaviour for the boy. Petulant, dangerous play.

That is my view it was a an obvious retaliation from a player who doesnt know how to do it and make it look an accident should have left it to El Abd or Bridcutt who know how to do it and get away with it looking like unintentional, Barnes doesnt.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Haven't read the tread, can't be bothered. Just seen it on the box. Your 1-0 down in a game your really need to get something from against a team in 20th and he does that. More to the point, you could see he was going to do it before he did. Words fail me, straight red all day long and the game was over from that moment. Liability.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
everyone knows barnes is a d**khead as a person, it obviouly filters into his football too

I did not know that, I guess I do now, although you must be talking about a different Ashley Barnes to the one I've had the pleasure of meeting on a couple of occasions.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I think Barnes does a good job for us but let us down badly. Although the challenge on Calderon was as bad, sparking the fracas between the benches, the difference was Barnes' challenge was pre-meditated and you knew what was coming. That is why he is blamed for it and people have accepted Dunk's challenge at CP and Kuczak's mistake at Birmingham as they were misjudgements not pre-meditated. Yet again one of our players dropping like they have been hit by a train rather than the touch of a feather has cost us - Buckley for the 2nd goal v Leeds comes to mind. If Barnes had stayed on his feet and done his job there would have been no problem, we would have been 1 goal down and at that point I thought we were playing quite well on a poor pitch. After the sending off and the resulting goal from the free kick we were never going to win the game.

My initial reaction at the time from behind that goal was to shout at him to get up as, even without getting sent off, his dive enabled the player to get in a unchallenged cross from a dangerous position. Something similar happened last week when El Abd was appealing to the ref for something on the edge of our box rather than getting on with it and defending what was a dangerous position for Arsenal to attack from. Didn't result in anything then, but it's becoming an annoying occurence and we lost a man, a goal and any realistic chance of a point or 3 because of it yesterday.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
That is my view it was a an obvious retaliation from a player who doesnt know how to do it and make it look an accident should have left it to El Abd or Bridcutt who know how to do it and get away with it looking like unintentional, Barnes doesnt.

No Albion player should be lunging in with the possibility of hurting an opponent simply because they were too strong for them in a previous challenge.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I'm not going to read the whole thread, so it's probably been said before...Barnes lost it about five minutes previous to his sending off. A challenge on him near the halfway line, which was reckless and dangerous - it could easily have broken his leg - caused the red mist to descend. He was clearly furious, and rightly so - how that challenge was not a red card is beyond me (and they should have shown it on the Football League Show).

From that moment Ash was a red card waiting to happen. Perhaps Gus, who knows Barnes better than most, should have withdrawn him there and then to prevent what was not that hard to predict.

I'm a big Barnes fan, and he has been particularly good recently. But when he loses it, he loses it big time, and if he can't control this he needs to be removed from danger as soon as possible when he gets 'cross'.

Northstandite

Jun 6, 2011
Barnes the easy target.

Already 1-0 down and bullied out of the game by better stronger athletes with a spoiling tactic.

Has allowed the awful performance and result to be swept to one side.

This.

Smokescreen focal point, after being outplayed and outfought by relegation candidates in the doldrums, from the first minute.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here