Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Barnes, England, Gus and Adversity.

Matt Richards

Jan 22, 2009
I was at the game and was as incensed as everyone else but looking at the footage Barnes clearly goes over the top of the ball with intent to try and stamp on McCann. The ref was right. There is absolutley no doubt that Barnes should have been sent off and anyone suggesting otherwise is unable to look above their support of the team and take an objective view.

McCann went in very hard and questionably two footed, although his tackle was also very low. The ref has clearly taken the view that because of the dreadful tackle made by Barnes that any reaction was justified. Whilst this is not in the rules I can sympathise with the view. Whilst I was screaming at the ref to send of the player who 'assaulted' El Abd the reality was this was no more than a minor coming together and the yellow card was the right punishment.

I hope Gus reviews the footage and sees sense as well. Barnes should get a massive kick up the arse, a fine and a transfer out of the club in January. He is not good enough at this level and to make such a ridiculous challenge when given another opportunity to stake his claim tells me he is an idiot.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
I was at the game and was as incensed as everyone else but looking at the footage Barnes clearly goes over the top of the ball with intent to try and stamp on McCann. The ref was right. There is absolutley no doubt that Barnes should have been sent off and anyone suggesting otherwise is unable to look above their support of the team and take an objective view.

McCann went in very hard and questionably two footed, although his tackle was also very low. The ref has clearly taken the view that because of the dreadful tackle made by Barnes that any reaction was justified. Whilst this is not in the rules I can sympathise with the view. Whilst I was screaming at the ref to send of the player who 'assaulted' El Abd the reality was this was no more than a minor coming together and the yellow card was the right punishment.

I hope Gus reviews the footage and sees sense as well. Barnes should get a massive kick up the arse, a fine and a transfer out of the club in January. He is not good enough at this level and to make such a ridiculous challenge when given another opportunity to stake his claim tells me he is an idiot.

This.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
Absolutely. Which is why I said the Burnley player should have walked and be up on a charge. The fact the ref didnt even speak to him, is frankly unbelivable.

I have no doubt the ref will be taken to task over the game by his superiors (if there is such a thing in the referees world), but the problem is it is behind closed doors, and no one else will get to here about it, and it will appear the ref has got of scott free... which he probably will.... and then people will wonder why in teh next game Poyet will be on the 4th official case at every decision that the referee doesn't see........ and why shouldn't he be? Its clear now the 4th official can speak to the ref, so I bet against Southampton Poyet will get the 4th offficial to call the ref over, every time something happens that the 4th official sees, but the ref doesn't give. It's going to be an interesting next few games.

That's how the FA have made it.

Referees are assessed for every game they officiaye by an external assessor.

Must admit from my loft perch over the halfway line in WSU it was an automatic red card for a two footed lunge. Both feet off the ground and a forward lunge, therefore player not in control of the direction, therefore dangerous play, therefore automatic red card.

i think the ref got that one right.

No idea why we got Vincente got the first red - didn't see it

fruitnveg

Jul 22, 2010
Waitrose. Veg aisles
No idea why we got Vincente got the first red - didn't see it

Neither do I, i thought he was injured.

Vincelot however was involved in a tit-for-tat poke a nudge with Bartley. Ridiculous sending off. At worst yellow cards for both of them.

The first 15 minutes of that game were farcical and only got worse throughout the first half. The linesman and ref were completely out of their depth.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
McCann went in very hard and questionably two footed, although his tackle was also very low. The ref has clearly taken the view that because of the dreadful tackle made by Barnes that any reaction was justified. Whilst this is not in the rules I can sympathise with the view.

The referee is there to uphold the rules, not his intepretation of the rules. The fact that your opinion is that Barnes should be shipped out of the club says to me that your opinion isn't based on Saturday's events at all, but that you don't like Barnes. If something similar had happened to CMS, I think you would have offered a completely different opinion.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
The ref didnt apply common sense which would have been to send them both off. So for that he is a ****.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Questionable in my view. I was right opposite and it looked bad but I've looked at the clip scores of times and I'm not sure, I do think there's an argument that he may have tried to pull out and his momentum just kept him going but it isn't clear cut. Only person that really knows for sure is Barnes I guess. Regardless of his intent or his contribution to the team this season it's not a reason to drum him out of the club. Many have a sudden rush ... if those measures were taken against every offender we'd not even be able to put 11 on at the start

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
McCann went in very hard and questionably two footed, although his tackle was also very low. .

Questionably? It was two footed and he leapt into it with both feet off the ground. He should have been sent off for that AND his reaction. He got away without a booking. Ridiculous.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Questionably? It was two footed and he leapt into it with both feet off the ground. He should have been sent off for that AND his reaction. He got away without a booking. Ridiculous.

Exactly. f***ing joke. Don't even think the ref spoke to him!

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
no I am on holiday.....and your point is??

will the FA appeals panel all have been at the ground?

answer .....NO

Sigh! I'll spell it out for you. I had assumed that you were at the ground because of your reference to "some asshole in the crowd 100 yards away probably looking the wrong way with someone else jumping up in front of them..."

Matt Richards

Jan 22, 2009
The referee is there to uphold the rules, not his intepretation of the rules. The fact that your opinion is that Barnes should be shipped out of the club says to me that your opinion isn't based on Saturday's events at all, but that you don't like Barnes. If something similar had happened to CMS, I think you would have offered a completely different opinion.

I am not saying I agree with the decision not to red card McCann but all I am saying is I can understand why he did not. Barnes definitely went over the top of the ball and I think any other player would have reacted in a similar way to another player deliberately trying to injure them.

I accept your point that I may be over the top on what happens to Barnes but the reality is he had a tremendous opportunity on Saturday to put in a decent performance and try to re-eastablish himself in the side. I am sure he is frustrated at being left out but this is not the way to make amends. If CMS had done it I would feel he too were an idiot but he is not the player supposedly scrapping for his place back in the first team.

Wienergull

Geht in Ordnung
Jul 10, 2003
Berlin Mitte
I am not saying I agree with the decision not to red card McCann but all I am saying is I can understand why he did not. Barnes definitely went over the top of the ball and I think any other player would have reacted in a similar way to another player deliberately trying to injure them.

I accept your point that I may be over the top on what happens to Barnes but the reality is he had a tremendous opportunity on Saturday to put in a decent performance and try to re-eastablish himself in the side. I am sure he is frustrated at being left out but this is not the way to make amends. If CMS had done it I would feel he too were an idiot but he is not the player supposedly scrapping for his place back in the first team.

Yes, and as Andy Naylor aptly put it in today's match report, "...Barnes should have been treading on egg shells, with his side already reduced to ten men. It was his first red card in 130 appearances but an accompanying 23 yellows emphasise an impetuous streak."

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
If barnes was treading on eggshells and didn't go for loose balls, people would complain he was a coward (or acting cowardly), backing out of challenges and just letting burnley have the ball, and when you're down to 10 men retaining possession is all the more important.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
The referee is there to uphold the rules, not his intepretation of the rules.

Technically speaking, most of the rules are structured that it is the same thing. Most rules are "If, in the opinion of the referee,..." so it really is his interpretation of the rules.

If something similar had happened to CMS, I think you would have offered a completely different opinion.

I think the same applies to a lot of posters on this topic.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Technically speaking, most of the rules are structured that it is the same thing. Most rules are "If, in the opinion of the referee,..." so it really is his interpretation of the rules.

I wonder what the referees 'opinion' is of hands around a throat, not just Barnes but El-Abd?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
There is absolutley no doubt that Barnes should have been sent off and anyone suggesting otherwise is unable to look above their support of the team and take an objective view.

Objective like the bbc and ssn commentators who both thought the wrong man was sent off?

McCann went in very hard and questionably two footed, although his tackle was also very low. The ref has clearly taken the view that because of the dreadful tackle made by Barnes that any reaction was justified.

The rules do not allow for this. It isn't common sense to let it happen. We see it all the time that players who react get punished. One would have to assume if the FA or FIFA were ok with players reacting to provocation then we wouldn't see those red cards. We do, ergo it's reasonable to assume referees are not supposed to allow it.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I wonder what the referees 'opinion' is of hands around a throat, not just Barnes but El-Abd?

I can't answer that, and I can't think how he can possibly justify the barnes one. I think El Abd made a meal out of his one I don't think the force of the arm round the throat actually took El Abd down, I think El Abd let himself fall with the contact), and perhaps he can argue that with his one (not that I think he would be right in doing so - regardless of how easily El Abd went down, it was raised arms to the throat).

7:18

Brighton & Hove Albion
Aug 6, 2006
Brighton, England
Barnes WAS a red card, it was a f***ing stupid tackle. But how the Burnley twat didn't get a red for shoving him to the ground by his neck, god knows. Real tough as well, standing over someone and grabbing them by the throat

this

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
Neither do I, i thought he was injured.

Vincelot however was involved in a tit-for-tat poke a nudge with Bartley. Ridiculous sending off. At worst yellow cards for both of them.

The first 15 minutes of that game were farcical and only got worse throughout the first half. The linesman and ref were completely out of their depth.

too much vin

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here