Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Barnes' defending

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Sure enough, the first thing I read when I come on here this morning is someone slagging off Ashley Barnes.

Was it only me that saw him clear the ball off the line at least five times in the first half alone! He was so busy covering for our vanishing defenders he hardly had the chance to do anything else. Well played Ashley Barnes.

GYM

Jan 4, 2010
Leeds
Agreed the man is excellent at defending now.

Did anyone else notice the amount of times he just nips inbetween the attacker and the ball and just wins a freekick. Think I saw this at least 4 times in the first half

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
I thought Barnes played brilliantly in the first half, particularly when defending. He did have a poor second half though and went missing for a while, so much so that I forgot he was still on the pitch.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
I thought Barnes played brilliantly in the first half, particularly when defending. He did have a poor second half though and went missing for a while, so much so that I forgot he was still on the pitch.

except for the first goal when he lost his man who then scored with an unchallenged header at the near post?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Agreed the man is excellent at defending now.

Did anyone else notice the amount of times he just nips inbetween the attacker and the ball and just wins a freekick. Think I saw this at least 4 times in the first half

He won the free kick which led to our goal.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
except for the first goal when he lost his man who then scored with an unchallenged header at the near post?

Hmm, I wasn't sure who was marking who at the corner, as like so many I was busy watching El-Abd wrestling that donkey, but how did we end up with Barnes matched up with on of their most potent aerial threats? Who did Dunk and Greer have that we believed posed a bigger aerial threat than Skrtel?

Reinelt12

Sick Note
Nov 8, 2006
Lichfield, United Kingdom
Sure enough, the first thing I read when I come on here this morning is someone slagging off Ashley Barnes.

Was it only me that saw him clear the ball off the line at least five times in the first half alone! He was so busy covering for our vanishing defenders he hardly had the chance to do anything else. Well played Ashley Barnes.

Thank God someone else noticed that, I thought I was alone when I came on here reading all the usual "Barnes is ****" stuff... he was excellent first half defensively - and I don't think it was a coincidence that when he was pushed to the wing when Vicente came on, that we were overrun because we missed his defending from the front in the middle of the park.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
edit : I see their first goal has already been mentioned.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Hmm, I wasn't sure who was marking who at the corner, as like so many I was busy watching El-Abd wrestling that donkey, but how did we end up with Barnes matched up with on of their most potent aerial threats? Who did Dunk and Greer have that we believed posed a bigger aerial threat than Skrtel?

This. Couldn't understand why Greer and Dunk weren't assigned to Carroll and Skrtel :shrug: not that it matters now!

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
He did well but appeared to be responsible for the first goal as he didn't cover Skrtel's run. As for the second half, he wasn't the only one missing.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
I haven't re-seen their first goal yet, but I though Greer was picking up Skirtle from set pieces?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

dac1980

Sep 20, 2011
What, the free kick kick awarded when Lualua picked up the ball on the halfway line, then beat two players, before being tripped just outside the box?

This...

Barnesy has always worked hard and playing in a position that is very hard to play in. Gets slated all the time, still a young player learning with every game

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009

And as at Leeds, nobody on the post at the corner, someone on the near post would probably blocked Skirtels header

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
And as at Leeds, nobody on the post at the corner, someone on the near post would probably blocked Skirtels header

That as well. Let's be honest, the delivery from the corners by Charlie Adam was SUPERB, but I just didn't think we set ourselves up right at teh set pieces at all, and they made us pay. Even the ones we did defend were ass-clenchers.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
It should be apparent by now to the Barnes detractors on here that Gus obviously rates him, judging by the amount of time he starts and the amount of time he spends on the subs bench. Remember, he rarely plays as an out and out striker these days yet still weighs in with goals, and his penalty taking is always top notch. As has been said on here, defensively he puts in a lot of work.

Obviously doing all that Gus wants him to do each game without complaint. I trust in Gus.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here