Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Barcelona's Finances!

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Yeah I really feel sorry for those fans who have witnessed their club cheat their way to multiple league, cup and European Cup triumphs. How they have suffered. :ffsparr:

What club doesnt "cheat" one way or another?

They are still fans, some of who has been there for 50+ years, through the Franco era and other rough times. Dont think they or any other set of fans deserve to watch their club possibly go bankrupt.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
What club doesnt "cheat" one way or another?

They are still fans, some of who has been there for 50+ years, through the Franco era and other rough times. Dont think they or any other set of fans deserve to watch their club possibly go bankrupt.

I don't want them to go bankrupt. But their club has been one of the driving forces in 'ruining' football with more and more excess. The fans have directly benefitted, they should also pay the price for their folly. Barcelona want everyone else to pay for them to continue, they and R. Madrid love nothing more than spending other people's money, it is primarily why they had the madcap idea about the ESL. They are greedy, nothing more, nothing less.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I don't want them to go bankrupt. But their club has been one of the driving forces in 'ruining' football with more and more excess. The fans have directly benefitted, they should also pay the price for their folly. Barcelona want everyone else to pay for them to continue, they and R. Madrid love nothing more than spending other people's money, it is primarily why they had the madcap idea about the ESL. They are greedy, nothing more, nothing less.

So just like every single Premier League club then?

Kind of rich when English fans point finger at Barcelona and Real Madrid for turning football into moneyball.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
So just like every single Premier League club then?

Kind of rich when English fans point finger at Barcelona and Real Madrid for turning football into moneyball.

I cannot sand the PL. It is sickening. But my club owes money to a benefactor, not the state and has not been doing dodgy deals with the local authorities for years in order to cheat the system.

Stephen Seagull

Oct 6, 2015
Barcelona
Should’ve sold some of their assets before their contracts expired then, shouldn’t they? I’m sure they could’ve got a few quid for Messi this time last year, never mind a season earlier.

Actually, Messi only signed 1 year additions to his contract. This is how he managed to keep increasing his income and Barça managed to increase his buyout clause yearly. Ultimately this is what has ruined them, alongside them increasing other players salaries for no reason amd buying players for no reason...

The rules of la liga state that no player is permitted to play for any club after any more than a 50% salary cut. Messi was willing to accept more than 50%, the league authorities weren't

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
The rules of la liga state that no player is permitted to play for any club after any more than a 50% salary cut. Messi was willing to accept more than 50%, the league authorities weren't

Not quiet how it was reported both in the UK and Spanish press. It would have been illegal under Spanish law (not the leagues) to accept a new contract at less than 50%.

Barcelona couldn't offer him a new contract because even with Messi off the books their salaries account for 95% of their income and they need to bring it down to 70% under the rules of the league.

Last edited:

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I remember Joan's first stint as president, Barca were positively frugal and kept the wages down to 72% of income....

.... NOT.

I’ve just read that their current wage bill is 103% of their income. Ridiculous.

And that Pique took a pay cut in order for them to be able to complete two or three other signings and get league approval.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I hope they go bust.

Bunch of robbers (from the tax payer) whose fans have turned a blind eye for decades and whose various presidents have just promised what they can't deliver while members just swallow the bullshit.

Oh and they are the most pretentious club in history. Fck em

Stephen Seagull

Oct 6, 2015
Barcelona
Not quiet how it was reported both in the UK and Spanish press. It would have been illegal under Spanish law (not the leagues) to accept a new contract at less than 50%.

Barcelona couldn't offer him a new contract because even with Messi off the books their salaries account for 95% of their income and they need to bring it down to 70% under the rules of the league.

Sorry, you’re right. It is contract law in Spain, not the La Liga regarding the 50% pay cut (which Messi was willing to take)

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton

Presumably that's why they have lowered their sights to Lacazet and Aubameyang (allegedly) :facepalm:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I hope they go bust.

Bunch of robbers (from the tax payer) whose fans have turned a blind eye for decades and whose various presidents have just promised what they can't deliver while members just swallow the bullshit.

Oh and they are the most pretentious club in history. Fck em

Care to elaborate?

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
10 ish years ago I went to Barca on my stag do. We did the stadium tour and watched Barca vs Bilbao.

In all my life there is only a handful of times I have felt claustrophobic to the point of feeling ill. One of those times was in their club shop [supermarket] with people falling over each other and scrambling to spend €100 on a shirt. Pure hell in there.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
It is very difficult to muster and sympathy for a club so badly mismanaged financially for so long. None of this was a surprise. None of it was done in secret. Been living beyond their means for years.

Like pretty much every other club in Europe? Football is broken, Barcelona are part of the problem but let's not pretend it's just them!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here