Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Barbs on The Football Friendly (Jonathan Pearce and Terry Alderton's podcast)

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Listened to the first 15 mins and when you hear it, where we are doesn't come as such a big surprise. Will have to listen to the rest later :thumbsup:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Really enjoying this, thanks for posting W.

Barber is just perfect as CEO. He has great insight, focus, clarity and an enthusiastic but empathetic style. Reminds be a bit of a certain Dullard of this shire ???

Love Pearce too.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
"Tony Bloom doesn't get involved in player negotiations."

(Has a good sense of value, and involved in the strategy though)
May not attend face to face negotiations but clearly those in attendance are acting on Blooms instructions.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Spoiler alert:

Love the anecdote (Pearce) about Roberto and players going on to bigger clubs. Worth a listen for that alone.
Love the supportive words about Jones from Barbs.

Barbs: "During Covid people possibly got fed up with hearing from me" . . . no mate. You did a great job and your defense of it is right.

Incoming: Documentary about our last 25 years, (with Gus participating.... :ohmy: ) :rave::rave::rave:

"Graham is an excellent coach...working with people we know very well.....a great guy..."
Barbs thinks Potter will succeed, and that his process will work. Love the lack of rancour.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Spoiler alert:

Love the anecdote (Pearce) about Roberto and players going on to bigger clubs. Worth a listen for that alone.

Barbs: "During Covid people possibly got fed up with hearing from me" . . . no mate. You did a great job and your defense of it is right.

Incoming: Documentary about our last 25 years, (with Gus participating.... :ohmy: ) :rave::rave::rave:

"Graham is an excellent coach...working with people we know very well.....a great guy..."
Barbs thinks Potter will succeed, and that his process will work. Love the lack of rancour.
It’s never worth burning bridges in what is essentially a fairly tight industry (at the top level). Every chance they might end up working together again at some point.

Jul 7, 2003
Having seen JP at Plumpton races today, that picture is either very old or very stylised.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
It’s never worth burning bridges in what is essentially a fairly tight industry (at the top level). Every chance they might end up working together again at some point.
Yes, exactly this.

Also we hired Potter, extended his contract, and stuck with him through two seasons of totally average results. We’re hardly likely to say “actually RDZ has got 20% more out of this squad and Graham’s going to be dropping multi millionaires with egos the size of Sweden every week” even though that’s the reality.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Spoiler alert:

From owners, ceos. managers coaches and players nobody has a bad word about anybody Have to wait for books to come out..

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
"Tony Bloom doesn't get involved in player negotiations."

(Has a good sense of value, and involved in the strategy though)
Finally proof that the lizard doesn’t hold these giant football clubs by the balls. People have put blooms pokers skills on a pedestal for far too long they should focus on what he actually does do which is support us financially.

When it comes to negotiating with these clubs it’s been barber, weir and ashworth and they deserve the credit for this. Tony simply gives the approval. He’s wonderful but don’t keep pretending that’s he’s pulling all the strings.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Finally proof that the lizard doesn’t hold these giant football clubs by the balls. People have put blooms pokers skills on a pedestal for far too long they should focus on what he actually does do which is support us financially.

When it comes to negotiating with these clubs it’s been barber, weir and ashworth and they deserve the credit for this. Tony simply gives the approval. He’s wonderful but don’t keep pretending that’s he’s pulling all the strings.
Although Arsenal said Bloom personally dealt with the BW Sale and was a nightmare to deal with. I take everything with a pinch of salt when it comes to football clubs/players transfers.
Barber says something and it’s lapped up and obviously the truth and nothing but the truth? I’ve heard him change his stance a few times on TS interviews depending on how the results are going.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I've seen plenty of these interviews now where Barber talks about succession plans for every player and people at the club but I've not seen or heard anyone ask him whether there's a succession plan for his job. Is that off-limits?

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
I've seen plenty of these interviews now where Barber talks about succession plans for every player and people at the club but I've not seen or heard anyone ask him whether there's a succession plan for his job. Is that off-limits?
He says there is a succession plan for every key role at the club. Doesn't that answer the question?

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Although Arsenal said Bloom personally dealt with the BW Sale and was a nightmare to deal with. I take everything with a pinch of salt when it comes to football clubs/players transfers.
Barber says something and it’s lapped up and obviously the truth and nothing but the truth? I’ve heard him change his stance a few times on TS interviews depending on how the results are going.
He says Bloom has input and briefs them on his expectations re: fee but he or Weir deal with the actual negotiations. Seems pretty straightforward- why do you think it’s said in bad faith ?

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016

I suspect PB has lengthy conversations with TB to discuss strategies.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here