Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Barber on The Footballer's Football Show tonight (Mon)

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
The model to run a football club as a financially viable enterprise does not work - period.

The only club run properly as a for profit business is Manchester United because of the sheer size of their stadium and the sponsorship and marketing deals they attract - they are the sole exception. Even Real Madrid had to be bailed out by the Spanish Government.

Whilst wages as a % of turnover is as high as it is, FFP will be a joke

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I hope we do!

Do I think we will - to be honest I have my doubts, and if we do manage to do so this season, having massaged last years finances, the following seasons targets are even tougher.

The club's biggest individual cost centre is the player budget and yet PB has plainly stated that this year we are spending more than we did last year - we just have to hope that the additional revenue from sponsorship deals will cover this and more.

I'm very confident that we'll make it. The player budget was increased following cost cutting elsewhere - they wouldn't have increased it if they weren't confident of making the FFP limits.

The new sponsorship deals and general better management of the club will have had a significant impact in reducing losses. And that's all before the circa 4m income in transfer fees has been considered.

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
The model to run a football club as a financially viable enterprise does not work - period....

Whilst wages as a % of turnover is as high as it is, FFP will be a joke

Your last point is the solution to your first.

Running a club as a viable business can work but you need to lower player wages. Barber and Burke have both alluded to the fact that players are already realising that they will not get mega bucks at the majority of clubs and as such are lowering expectations.

Those clubs that pay big bucks are exactly the clubs that FFP is attempting to go after.

If your a player that 16 clubs can not afford and the others don't want, what do you do? You take a cut and play for one of the 16.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
I found the programme extremely interesting but at the same time unedifying and confirmed that the sport I love has turned into a big corporate money making machine.

I don't think I'll ever warm to Barber even though he appears to be doing a fine job. I don't think supporters should like a chief exec who talks about revenue streams and break even points, although it's a necessary evil in todays game. If he can deliver FFP season after season then as far as I'm concerned his worth every penny of his salary.

It also confirmed to me that we will never win the Premier League in fact 85/86 out of the 92 clubs can forget about winning the league as the the top six or seven nowadays are pretty much a closed shop and for a team to even make a Champions League spot would require 2/3 teams massively under achieving whilst they would have to over perform across 38 games.

And it's for that reason I really have little ambition to watch Brighton in the Premier League bearing in mind the grossly uneven playing field for every club outside of the top 6/7 cartel.

My wish is for the top clubs to join a breakaway European or World league and leave the domestic prizes to all the other clubs to share around each other.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
As I understand it the answer to that is yes and no!

If a club is relegated from the Premier League then they will not face any penalties during their first season in the Championship even if the hadn't complied with the PL's FFP rules. However if they don't comply with the requirements of the Championship FFP regulations during that first season then they will face sanctions in their second season the same as any other club.
Oh I see, thanks. That sounds fair enough. So at the moment, the rules apply to all Championship sides equally.

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
I don't think supporters should like a chief exec who talks about revenue streams and break even points,

What would you like the CEO to talk about?

Maybe he could talk about the width of the blue stripes, or the temperature of the pies, or the length of the platform, and leave all that complex financial stuff to someone else like one of the part-time Stewards..........

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Maybe he could talk about the width of the blue stripes, or the temperature of the pies, or the length of the platform, and leave all that complex financial stuff to someone else like one of the part-time Stewards..........

Was thinking the same. What a strange point to try & make.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove

That's not what I meant, ill never massively like anyone on the commercial side, its a part of football I detest so that's the point I was making.

I respect the job he does, but ill never be chanting his name or shaking his hand to thank him, as I said football really has moved away from its roots and I would rather just concentrate on on field matters.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley

A CEO has overall responsibility for the running of the club, not just finances, so to answer your question, yes PB could talk about all the things you mention as well as the financial aspects. I'm pleased to see that he does also talk about things other than just finances as has been demonstrated on numerous occasions when posters on here have contacted him over various concerns.

The "complex financial stuff" presumably is left with the financial director, as it should be. I assume PB was employed because of his administrative record and not particularly for his financial acumen.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
What are the chances PB's bonus for meeting the FFP target, will push us over budget for the following season. :jester:

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
It also confirmed to me that we will never win the Premier League in fact 85/86 out of the 92 clubs can forget about winning the league as the the top six or seven nowadays are pretty much a closed shop and for a team to even make a Champions League spot would require 2/3 teams massively under achieving whilst they would have to over perform across 38 games.

And it's for that reason I really have little ambition to watch Brighton in the Premier League bearing in mind the grossly uneven playing field for every club outside of the top 6/7 cartel.

I've followed the Albion in the vain hope that one day we'll do the back to back quadruple, going undefeated in all competitions for two seasons. It's obviously an unrealisable dream, but it is my dream.

How disappointing then to be forced to say that the first part of the section of your post I've quoted is spot on. Even in my wildest dreams, I can't see the Albion ever (and I do mean ever) making a CL spot all the time the top 6/7 clubs wield the financial muscle that they do. It's not pleasant to have your dreams shattered. Nonetheless, I would still like us to be promoted. There is some satisfaction to be gained from a glorious attempt to stay in the PL, and imagine how good it would be to beat a top 7 club at home in front of a full house. That is a dream that is achievable, albeit significantly cut back from what I'd really like.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
I'd say it is more or less nailed on that the big clubs whinge about FFP and the FA will once again back down.

You may wish to purchase a more effective set of nails, seeing as though FFP is a Football League initiative and is nothing to do with the FA.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here