Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Barber on FFP

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Sad indication of the problems of modern football when clubs (not just ours - not criticising the Albion here) are targeting ONLY losing £8million a year as some sort of successful benchmark.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
Fines only apply to promoted clubs. Those not promoted get a transfer embargo.

Has there been any statement as to how long this embargo would stand for. I am thinking that a club like Forest, who have been spending to bring in Tom, Dick and Harry in an effort to get promotion this year. If they miss out and they have all these players signed this season on 2/3 year contracts and they get a 1 season embargo how is this a punishment?

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Has there been any statement as to how long this embargo would stand for. I am thinking that a club like Forest, who have been spending to bring in Tom, Dick and Harry in an effort to get promotion this year. If they miss out and they have all these players signed this season on 2/3 year contracts and they get a 1 season embargo how is this a punishment?

Until such time as they submit accounts that comply with FFP.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I like the live testing idea, bet they don't impose it though

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
I like the live testing idea, bet they don't impose it though

The whole thing sounds very flawed to me and a lot of making it up as you go along.
Don't forget Barber was telling us all last season, that it was possible for us to be fined and the money could be used to finance a Palace promotion. This year it could go to the Battersea dogs home.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I never make any friends when I say this but I sincerely hope the profligate clubs go bust, get kicked out of the League, reform and start again at the bottom.
I'm with you all the way, financial mismanagement has been going on too long. If you are prepared to take the risk then prepare for the ultimate sanction if it goes wrong. It might not be the fan's fault but perhaps this might give the fans a bit of a stake in ensuring their clubs are run properly rather than demanding instant success and big money transfers. I have no sympathy for clubs that sell their souls to foreign investment and then expect sympthy when their large foreign backers withdraw the money. We clawed our way out of the sh*t and paid our way when we were there, it's a lesson a few others could heed.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
Yes, but the embargo also prevents players signing contract extensions, so at some point that great squad will start leaving for free.

But whilst they have these players they now can have a second and possibly third bite at getting promoted if they had them on long enough contracts.
They would also now not be buying players and if having successful seasons with large crowds and whittling down the debts.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The more I hear about FFP the more I think it amounts to a massive opportunity for lawyers.

All kinds of loopholes already seem possible, and more will doubtless emerge as the "details" become clearer.

Then there are all the various legal challenges that will emerge: some all at once, some made by representatives of clubs, some representating players, some representing others.

I think the principles behind FFP are sound and the club is right to comply, but I suspect we'll end up with a messy compromise within a few years, by which time certain clubs will have driven a coach and horses through the regulations and probably benefited.

Which legislation could a player's lawyer challenge a club?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
The whole thing sounds very flawed to me and a lot of making it up as you go along.
Don't forget Barber was telling us all last season, that it was possible for us to be fined and the money could be used to finance a Palace promotion. This year it could go to the Battersea dogs home.

The only charities that should prosper are those related to grass roots football / general sport..

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
But whilst they have these players they now can have a second and possibly third bite at getting promoted if they had them on long enough contracts.
They would also now not be buying players and if having successful seasons with large crowds and whittling down the debts.

Whittling down the debts is the idea - getting clubs to live within their means. If that means forcing clubs to not spend any money on new players, whilst they cannot afford the ones they have, then that is a good thing, isn't it? It is not fair, yes, if they already have a great squad but they also have to measure that against the fact that some of their assets could no longer worth anything.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Can't help thinking it would have been a better idea for the clubs to actually finalise all the details before voting on it.

I get the feeling a few clubs voted for FFP in the belief it wouldn't affect them because they would be promoted if they gambled on spending big. If they do miss out on promotion there is always the option of taking legal action against the Football League in a test case.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here