Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Barber, Ashworth, Potter Out !

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Maybe I’m wrong, but I suspect most PL players want to do the right thing, but are looking for guidance from their union, which is instructing them to procrastinate, consequently they are being demonised and made to look like greedy, grasping b’stards. I think there’ll be some positive action soon. Spurs, though, what an utter, utter disgrace. Let’s hope their players go that extra mile to distance themselves from the behaviour of their grubby owners.

Potter has already said as much. Seems to be the PFA that are stopping players doing anything so far (led by a £2m a year administrator who hasn’t taken a voluntary pay cut).

https://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/18354152.coronavirus-graham-potter-expects-players-right-thing/

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I'm proud of the management today, well done guys.

It's a disgrace that the PFA haven't got their members to take some concerted action during these difficult times, it's a PR disaster.

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
I have a funny feeling you may be hearing from them fairly soon. I believe any action had to be agreed by the PFA. I wonder if their chief executive will make a similar gesture ???

I agree.... Gary Lineker mentioned that it may take a bit of time for the details to be drawn up though.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
HWT, I normally understand things, but you've whooshed me here, old boy?

I was making reference to the leading 'Potter out' poster.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I'd not be jumping on the Furlough High Horse just yet. Spurs may have just gone a bit earlier than many others...

Levy couldn't bloody wait though could he. First sniff of a government handout and he's holding out the begging bowl. This from a top 4 Premier League club wallowing in PL and Champions League riches. Its genuinely revolting, and won't be forgotten.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Levy couldn't bloody wait though could he. First sniff of a government handout and he's holding out the begging bowl. This from a top 4 Premier League club wallowing in PL and Champions League riches. Its genuinely revolting, and won't be forgotten.

This......straw poll of even Spurs fans elicits the same view. They are genuinely ashamed.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Oh, I'm not defending him at all, but I could see many clubs going down the same route.

Good PR for your big cheeses to take a pay cut before announcing it though...

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

This.

(I'm saying 'this' a lot lately; this is probably a good thing)

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I am a bit bemused by all this, players taking a pay cut will benefit who? Are the owners of Man City going to fall on hard times if Stirling drops his wage by 10%? Plus, the treasury will lose out on 40% of whatever cut they take. I think any business, including football clubs, that take financial assistance that they don't need from the state, are immoral, but I don't get why players should take a cut, unless their club is in financial difficulty.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Oh, I'm not defending him at all, but I could see many clubs going down the same route.

Good PR for your big cheeses to take a pay cut before announcing it though...

I would hope that most if not all PL clubs would have taken a view of riding out the next 3 months or so at least, whilst retaining all their non-playing staff. What they pay them in salaries is utterly MINISCULE compared with the money paid out to the players. Frankly any PL club that considers itself NOT in a position to cover that modest cost over the coming summer must be in a proper shit state, given the turnovers we're talking about. But we all know thats not actually the case. They could - easily - and the cuffing well should. ESPECIALLY the big guns, who get the most money, and have their snouts deepest in the trough when times are good.

Nobody knows for sure, but in 3 months time we should have a clearer picture of where we are with this crisis, and hopefully may have an idea of when football, and the country, could start to return to normality. Any DECENT owner would take that view and cover costs while they still can. Filth like Levy though - he'll just take full advantage of public funds ASAP to save a few bob.

Utterly, utterly contemptible. I can't remember being more angered about anything in football. This is on another level.

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
A decade ago, I did some tutoring, (bizarre, as I'm hardly qualified for that; and for a tenner an hour since you ask), for the son of a hedge fund manager who made a ton of cash after the Libyan civil war decimated wood supplies.

I'd much rather he, and the gazillion of his ilk, made very public donations at the moment, rather than us picking on twenty-somethings who have relied on managers and management every step of their waking lives so far.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I would hope that most if not all PL clubs would have taken a view of riding out the next 3 months or so at least, whilst retaining all their non-playing staff. What they pay them in salaries is utterly MINISCULE compared with the money paid out to the players. Frankly any PL club that considers itself NOT in a position to cover that modest cost over the coming summer must be in a proper shit state, given the turnovers we're talking about. But we all know thats not actually the case. They could - easily - and the cuffing well should. ESPECIALLY the big guns, who get the most money, and have their snouts deepest in the trough when times are good.

Nobody knows for sure, but in 3 months time we should have a clearer picture of where we are with this crisis, and hopefully may have an idea of when football, and the country, could start to return to normality. Any DECENT owner would take that view and cover costs while they still can. Filth like Levy though - he'll just take full advantage of public funds ASAP to save a few bob.

Utterly, utterly contemptible. I can't remember being more angered about anything in football. This is on another level.

Very well put.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I am a bit bemused by all this, players taking a pay cut will benefit who? Are the owners of Man City going to fall on hard times if Stirling drops his wage by 10%? Plus, the treasury will lose out on 40% of whatever cut they take. I think any business, including football clubs, that take financial assistance that they don't need from the state, are immoral, but I don't get why players should take a cut, unless their club is in financial difficulty.

Some clubs such as Spurs, Liverpool and ManU are hugely profitable, others lose big money such as Brighton, so it’s a very mixed picture. I can see why a club such as Brighton might take advantage of furloughed pay for lower paid staff, to help them finance those households retaining income and keeping them employed (the point of the scheme). It was remarkable that TB immediately guaranteed even match-day staff 100% of typical earnings for the rest of the season, whilst Levy grabbed the no cost to Spurs option and a 20% pay cut for staff (or far more for those on more than £30k a year .... that’s probably a lot of folk going by London wages and the cost of living).

The pay to CEO’s and senior players make up the bulk of a club’s payroll costs. Practically and symbolically, a temporary pay cut for them, would cover the full wages of those being furloughed.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

If players take a (very small) cut in wages that has mininal impact on them - but if it means that the club doesn't have to furlough its non-playing staff and plunder public money to pay them, then THATS who it benefits. The staff, and ultimately the ordinary taxpayers. The likes of Spurs, Man City etc can ride this out easily without furloughing, but they are the elite clubs who are wallowing in PL and CL cash (and infinite reserves of arab money in Citys case). But there are a lot of clubs outside the PL paying megabucks to players who are going to struggle. If players can shave say 5% off their wages, that would probably be enough to keep on the non-playing staff, without the club effectively laying them off.

I take on board the further down the leagues you go the more difficult that gets, as L1/L2 players are on nothing like the salaries we see in the top 2 Leagues. But there really is no excuse for players earning thousands, tens of thousands a week, to be totally insulated from this crisis as though all is well, whilst others struggle.

Lets remember - every single team in the League is called a CLUB. A football CLUB. If players don't feel moved to help the lowest paid members of their football club right now, then I'd suggest they need to look up the definition of the word.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Some clubs such as Spurs, Liverpool and ManU are hugely profitable, others lose big money such as Brighton, so it’s a very mixed picture. I can see why a club such as Brighton might take advantage of furloughed pay for lower paid staff, to help them finance those households retaining income and keeping them employed (the point of the scheme). It was remarkable that TB immediately guaranteed even match-day staff 100% of typical earnings for the rest of the season, whilst Levy grabbed the no cost to Spurs option and a 20% pay cut for staff (or far more for those on more than £30k a year .... that’s probably a lot of folk going by London wages and the cost of living).

The pay to CEO’s and senior players make up the bulk of a club’s payroll costs. Practically and symbolically, a temporary pay cut for them, would cover the full wages of those being furloughed.

Spot on. Its not just a practical gesture, its a hugely symbolic one. It would show a sense that we're all in it together, that we look after our own in the bad times - and these truly are the worst of times, in our entire lifetimes. I'm not digging out players just yet - there are PL and PFA meetings being held where plans will be made. But on that agenda should be a unilateral plan, certainly across the PL at least, for players to forgo a minimal % of their wage to go towards keeping the non-playing staff on over April, May and June, and then review the situation again. The EFL can then consider if they can follow a similar plan.

I guess no player can be forced - a contract is a contract after all. But I'd hope the vast, vast majority would agree to it.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
If players take a (very small) cut in wages that has mininal impact on them - but if it means that the club doesn't have to furlough its non-playing staff and plunder public money to pay them, then THATS who it benefits. The staff, and ultimately the ordinary taxpayers. The likes of Spurs, Man City etc can ride this out easily without furloughing, but they are the elite clubs who are wallowing in PL and CL cash (and infinite reserves of arab money in Citys case). But there are a lot of clubs outside the PL paying megabucks to players who are going to struggle. If players can shave say 5% off their wages, that would probably be enough to keep on the non-playing staff, without the club effectively laying them off.

I take on board the further down the leagues you go the more difficult that gets, as L1/L2 players are on nothing like the salaries we see in the top 2 Leagues. But there really is no excuse for players earning thousands, tens of thousands a week, to be totally insulated from this crisis as though all is well, whilst others struggle.

Lets remember - every single team in the League is called a CLUB. A football CLUB. If players don't feel moved to help the lowest paid members of their football club right now, then I'd suggest they need to look up the definition of the word.

If highly paid players keep having 40% tax deducted on their full wage, it will help the treasury pay the 80% for anyone in furlough, I don't see the benefit to the wider world if Premier league players take a cut, just to mostly wealthy owners, who can afford the hit.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
If highly paid players keep having 40% tax deducted on their full wage, it will help the treasury pay the 80% for anyone in furlough, I don't see the benefit to the wider world if Premier league players take a cut, just to mostly wealthy owners, who can afford the hit.

If wealthy owners can continue to cover those salaries over the summer / next 3 months then great, they should indeed do exactly that, as our own TB and others are doing.

If not, then players taking a modest % cut and paying into a pool would be directly assisting the low paid workers at their football club during a time of crisis. Either way, all Premier League clubs should be comfortably able to cover the cost of their non-playing staff for the next three months at LEAST, without resorting to pilfering emergency public funds and at the same time (by the way) leaving their staff high and dry till the furlough money kicks in in June.

With the money in the game at the top level, thats absolutely shameful. I find it astonishing anyone could disagree.

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
PL players are undecided on a 5% or 10% pre-tax pay cut, such a tricky decision with bills to pay.

Even a meager 5% pay cut from a PL payroll for ONE WEEK would pay for a large number of the YEARLY salaries of a PL team's non-playing/coaching staff.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here