Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Barber and the club have lost me as a customer today

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It would appear that many are overreacting in relation to the difficulty in obtaining tickets against high profile opposition.
But you're not taking into account the many posters who DESPERATELY want tickets, but aren't prepared to do anything about it, or didn't realise they could actually just buy them.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
But you're not taking into account the many posters who DESPERATELY want tickets, but aren't prepared to do anything about it, or didn't realise they could actually just buy them.

I'm also of course ignoring inflation. Taking that into account a £1.30 ticket in 1979 would cost £6.22 in 2017, which makes the prices charged against City seem very good value...

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I've also purchased the Bronze in hope of the odd ticket here and there throughout the season but i'm not holding my breath tbh , i guess i shall be ok for the Stoke Swansea Burnley perhaps WBA and Watford and will hope the new ticket exchange system for season ticket holders returning their matchday seat if not attending is better than the previous efforts , i wonder if the club will wait for a stadium sell out before starting the ticket exchange or will hopefully do it section by section .

Looks as if you should get a ticket for every match based on the availability against City.

Gafones

Jul 28, 2009
Brighton
... giphy.gif

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
It would appear that many are overreacting in relation to the difficulty in obtaining tickets against high profile opposition.

Tickets have been available to ALL bronze members for a few days now and over 1,000 are still available.

The next tranche will be to those with a ticket buying history, and whilst I agree that the prices are too high, especially for kids (and I think the club has lost a trick here, max out kids prices at £15 and you can bet their parent accompanying them will be dragged into the club shop for merchandise) it looks as if you should easily get a ticket and the match will eventually be a sellout in a few weeks.

The club will make an extra £15 x 3,000 x 100/120 (VAT)= £37,500 compared to a Cat C match.

Looking back at Albion history, there was also unhappiness about ticket prices the last time the Albion were promoted to the top flight in 1979, when the club took advantage of the prospect of seeing glamorous opponents by increasing ticket prices from £1.30 to £1.50. #BamberOut

Yep, looks like I knee-jerked panicked into buying Bronze membership, when I probably didn't need to. Which I guess the club is more than happy about

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Yep, looks like I knee-jerked panicked into buying Bronze membership, when I probably didn't need to. Which I guess the club is more than happy about

One would hope the club throws a few more benefits into Bronze membership. I have Cityzens membership at the Etihad, which I use purely for Champions League matches when the Albion aren't playing, and you get £5 off for EPL matches.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

I don't think availability was the main issue, it was more about the pricing, as given the TV income the marginal gain to the club of the increased ticket prices is minimal.

I'm a Bronze member (joined for this season) and currently I'm weighing up whether I want to spend up to £45 on a ticket to watch a single football match. (Although the prices do make we realise what excellent value my Sky Sports subscription is).

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I don't think availability was the main issue, it was more about the pricing, as given the TV income the marginal gain to the club of the increased ticket prices is minimal.

I'm a Bronze member (joined for this season) and currently I'm weighing up whether I want to spend up to £45 on a ticket to watch a single football match. (Although the prices do make we realise what excellent value my Sky Sports subscription is).

How much is Sky?

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
How much is Sky?

We've had this discussion before. Mine costs me less than £20 a month. I've got a package that includes Sky Sports and Sky Movies, and if I cancelled just the Sports and kept the Movies (which my wife would insist on) I'd save myself about £18.

However even if it was £50 I'd still consider it excellent value as I get a whole month of sport for about the price of a mere 90 minutes of football. I know others disagree, but it's all about choice and what you want (or are allowed) to spend your money on. That btw is the main reason I'm vacillating about buying a ticket. My wife isn't a football fan and the thought of me 'wasting' up to £45 on a football ticket is something that requires negotiation. If I want to go to the City game God knows how many chick flicks I'll have to sit through.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
We've had this discussion before. Mine costs me less than £20 a month. I've got a package that includes Sky Sports and Sky Movies, and if I cancelled just the Sports and kept the Movies (which my wife would insist on) I'd save myself about £18.

However even if it was £50 I'd still consider it excellent value as I get a whole month of sport for about the price of a mere 90 minutes of football. I know others disagree, but it's all about choice and what you want (or are allowed) to spend your money on. That btw is the main reason I'm vacillating about buying a ticket. My wife isn't a football fan and the thought of me 'wasting' up to £45 on a football ticket is something that requires negotiation. If I want to go to the City game God knows how many chick flicks I'll have to sit through.

I binned Sky when Palace were promoted as they would get 20x the money that the Albion received. The introductory offer was good, but couldn't be arsed playing silly games when it expired.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
first match in the top league since 1983 so if you can scrape the cash together for a ticket then surely you should go. You can't turn back the clock.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado

£20 a month package that includes sports and movies :moo:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Barber gets paid big bucks to be the front man and fall guy for the club while the owner and the rest of the board remain largely invisible and anonymous and seemingly blameless.

Fair play to to the Barber bloke. Earns every penny IMHO.

This.

Bloom, Perry, Chapman, etc, with Barber are jointly behind all Board decisions on major issues such as pricing. But the moaners must have one punch bag to blame singularly for all gripes.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

I think it may well come in handy, for example against ManU and Liverpool. They may not have had the recent success of petro-dollars ManC, but they're arguably still a bigger attraction. And/or if Brighton have a run of good results, playing good football.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I think it may well come in handy, for example against ManU and Liverpool. They may not have had the recent success of petro-dollars ManC, but they're arguably still a bigger attraction. And/or if Brighton have a run of good results, playing good football.

Fair point I think. Don't seem to be many plastic City fans about do there?

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
£20 a month package that includes sports and movies :moo:
Blimey, that's good. I think our Premium package is about £45. I know it's priced so that if you have one you 'may as well' have the other, and cancelling one doesn't save you half.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here