Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Barbecues - What's The Point

Dalos

Mar 2, 2009
BBQ' are great, and as someone else said, its more the social side of things, everyone outside having a few beers whislt cooking.

I have a gas bbq, but use pecan woodchips to give a smokey flavour - used it yesterday to cook a huge shoulder of pork, marinated in a dry rub overnight and then smoked/grilled indirectly for 6 hours - you literally baste it once every hour and just leave it. Immense

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I had trouble finding wood chips last year, eventually found some in a store in ship street. This year I saw a variety on the shelf in sainsburys. Chimney starters were everywhere last summer. The BBQ I got last year came with guard rails on the charcoal grate to allow for indirect grilling. I think we're getting better at this BBQ lark as a nation.

Last edited:

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Can't you just buy chicken in a bbq sauce and bung it in the thing that goes ding ?

It gets cooked, probably won't give you the trots, and is done quickly so you can take it in the back yard with your can of Speckled Hen.
What's not to like ?

Have to agree with the anti barby crew. The only times I've been to them I felt really bad afterwards. If I get another invite I will take along my own sandwiches (and enjoy the beer)

You are far more likely to be ill from salad being left out in the sun for prolonged periods than anything cooked on a BBQ.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
I've just been informed by the wife that she is expecting a barbecue this afternoon.

Just taken a look at the rusting hulk sitting in the garden and can't get any enthusiasm for scraping off all the rust and mold just to cook meats that will turn out black on the outside, pink in the middle and taste of soot.

Whats wrong with perfectly grilled meats from the simple to use electric kitchen appliance?

Do I get cleaning, buy a new barbecue of feign injury?
I would have agreed with that when I lived in the UK, but I’ve now been to some great 4[SUP]th[/SUP] of July BBQs – the Yanks just take barbequing to a different level. One of the best was organized by one of my mates who was from Texas originally. He said that Texans treat BBQs very seriously and will talk about the merits of various BBQ sauces for hours, probably why they’re all so fat.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I treated myself to a new BBQ this year (charcoal, obviously).There are few things in life more exciting than shopping around for a new one, and boy oh boy, I bought an absolute humdinger this time. A bloody great big chunky silver American grill, with a hood, temp gauge, overhead warming grill, retractable side tables, height-adjustable coals tray (via a winding winch handle mechanism), slidable ashes tray with front-access flip-lid, and to top it all off, its even got its own BOTTLE-OPENER fixed to one of the legs. Its a metallic silver and chrome BEAST of a BBQ, and I love it dearly. And I keep it immaculate, its always cleaned from top to bottom after use.

Yesterday Matthew, I cooked raw fresh tiger prawns in their shells, corn on the cob in butter, some plain chicken with paprika sprinkled on (I don't go a biggun for marinade), and german bratwursts. So nothing particularly fancy this time, but oooh it was gooooood. Tonight I have some chilli burgers from Southwick butchers I'm going to put on, maybe with some pork loins and more corn.

There's no excuse whatsoever for burning the food either, thats just flat-out incompetance. You must treat your barbecue like you would a beautiful woman. Be patient, be attentive, try not to overload her with your meat early on, but once you get her going then don't be afraid to give her coals a good poking.

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
I treated myself to a new BBQ this year (charcoal, obviously).There are few things in life more exciting than shopping around for a new one, and boy oh boy, I bought an absolute humdinger this time. A bloody great big chunky silver American grill, with a hood, temp gauge, overhead warming grill, retractable side tables, height-adjustable coals tray (via a winding winch handle mechanism), slidable ashes tray with front-access flip-lid, and to top it all off, its even got its own BOTTLE-OPENER fixed to one of the legs. Its a metallic silver and chrome BEAST of a BBQ, and I love it dearly. And I keep it immaculate, its always cleaned from top to bottom after use.

Yesterday Matthew, I cooked raw fresh tiger prawns in their shells, corn on the cob in butter, some plain chicken with paprika sprinkled on (I don't go a biggun for marinade), and german bratwursts. So nothing particularly fancy this time, but oooh it was gooooood. Tonight I have some chilli burgers from Southwick butchers I'm going to put on, maybe with some pork loins and more corn.

There's no excuse whatsoever for burning the food either, thats just flat-out incompetance. You must treat your barbecue like you would a beautiful woman. Be patient, be attentive, try not to overload her with your meat early on, but once you get her going then don't be afraid to give her coals a good poking.

Easy, I now have this image of you (suit and all) posing next to your beast of a BBQ :clap:

swiss-tony[1].jpg

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
My son did one yesterday, baps with steaks in. I managed 5.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
Shredded pork/Mango Chicken on Skewers!!!!New Potatoes in something or other/Salad/Ciabatter:drool:

Several bottles of Italian Fizzy:drink:

6PM every one welcome but bring a bottle

Dr NBC

Former Insider
Apr 29, 2013
Mid Sussex
Not a great lover of BBQs but reading this thread has pointed out there is more available than just burgers, sausages and chicken burnt to cinders.

Ah, the Great British Barbecue. No wonder so many here don't rate a good, old fashioned barbecue. If this is the standard of fare that one gets, I don't really blame people for not liking them. However, it is difficult to beat a good barbecue.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Got lucky with this summers weather after installing a marvellous looking seven foot half ton German Buschbeck double walled masonry bbq. Wonderful robust thing that uses coals or wood (& gas if you have the adaptor) & can be used as a visual/warming centrepiece afterwards with logs. Just understanding its powers but has much more all round heat that means far less frazzled edges

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
I went to a BBQ up Queens park way but we were pestered by seagulls. One actually took a peice only to drop it pretty sharpish for fear of being BBQ'd itself.

Any tips on keeping the gulls away?

countryman

Jun 28, 2011
I went to a BBQ up Queens park way but we were pestered by seagulls. One actually took a peice only to drop it pretty sharpish for fear of being BBQ'd itself.

Any tips on keeping the gulls away?
Rook scarer? Air rifle? Other then taking serious measures, I think seagulls will always be a pain in the arse when food is involved.

I had a BBQ at a butchers house yesterday and it tasted lovely. But he really does know how to do a BBQ.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here