Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Banned from buying a Goldfish at 56yrs of age/Pets At Home!!!

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Why don't you just carve some carrots into the shape of goldfish? Then you can impress your friends (and appall your daughter) by fishing them out of the tank and eating them.

EDIT: Make sure you eat the carrot-goldfish and not the real one(s).

Last edited:

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Why don't you just carve some carrots into the shape of goldfish? Then you can impress your friends (and appall your daughter) by fishing them out of the tank and eating them.

EDIT: Make sure you eat the carrot-goldfish and not the real one(s).

It was brilliant when the bloke from candid camera did that in a pet shop in the 70's. I'll never forget the old woman... 'you horrible man'. :D

Evil Edna

Roll the dice!
Jul 15, 2007
Where poet's live.
Who said keeping trops was hard. My 5 foot planted tank

0022-7.jpg

I can only aspirer to having a tank like that, How often do you have to do water changes, how much of a change do you have to do in ltr's?

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
I can only aspirer to having a tank like that, How often do you have to do water changes, how much of a change do you have to do in ltr's?

I am the laziest fishkeeper in the world. Think ive done two 25% water changes this year (tank is approx 600 litres). I do top up about 6 - 8 gallons a week due to evaporation. The only maintenance i do is to trim the plants when needed to keep them in check. I have 4 x 4 foot T5 tubes above the tank which is pretty bright and as a result, i dose CO2 via a 2kg fire extinguisher. The CO2 eliminates virtually all nuisance algea.

So apart from top ups, clean 2 internal filters every few months, feed the fish and trim the plants, i do nothing to it.

amexee

Jun 19, 2011
haywards heath
I am the laziest fishkeeper in the world. Think ive done two 25% water changes this year (tank is approx 600 litres). I do top up about 6 - 8 gallons a week due to evaporation. The only maintenance i do is to trim the plants when needed to keep them in check. I have 4 x 4 foot T5 tubes above the tank which is pretty bright and as a result, i dose CO2 via a 2kg fire extinguisher. The CO2 eliminates virtually all nuisance algea.

So apart from top ups, clean 2 internal filters every few months, feed the fish and trim the plants, i do nothing to it.

algae is my biggest problem, do you just give the extinguisher a quick squirt.

When I first got my tank probably 5 years ago, I followed the aquatic shops instructions and tested the water and added this and that for a year. The shop shut down, I stopped adding chemicals and now just change the water about every 2 months and the fish are fine.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge

If your house catches fire will you throw your fish tank at the fire or dip a bucket in?

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
algae is my biggest problem, do you just give the extinguisher a quick squirt.

No mate, it has a regulator on it which lets me put the CO2 in at about 1 bubble of CO2 every 4-5 seconds. It's also got a solenoid valve on it which is linked to a timer allowing the CO2 to come on after the lights are on and go off just before they go off.

If your house catches fire will you throw your fish tank at the fire or dip a bucket in

No mate, i'll call the fire brigade like every one else does :facepalm:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here