Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Banged up abroad

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Unfortunately the Germans are very strict on drunken brawls. You will have to face the music.

Seeing as that's likely to involve an Oompah band, it doesn't sound good in any respect.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
I've now had a letter with the appetising choice of 4 months in jail or a v large fine.

As it's Germany, there was always the likelihood of penalties.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Nothing new to add, but distilling the advice already given:

Lawyer up. NOW. You need advice on:

German criminal law and process - general and specific to your case.
What are the potential consequences of each decision you could make?
What are the chances of a civil action against you, brought by the victim; how does each possible action relating to the criminal case play into the outcome of any civil action?

This advice will not be cheap. if you are at all economical with the actualite with the lawyer, you will receive crap advice - garbage in, garbage out applies with lawyers too.

10 litres? 17 pints. Sheesh!

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
thanks for all advice - some of it sensible

So, you drank over 10 litres of beer, claim to have knocked a man out because you believed he was sexually assaulting someone, but she is in the US so will unlikely back you up, you are arrested, you pay bail and have a giggle about it with the German Police who laughingly tell you to forget it. Some time later, there has been a trial and sentence passed in your absence and now, the first bit of paperwork you receive since the incident tells you you're gonna be banged up?

If this is the case you will fight and win this.
this is it - other than i doubt i will win the case / have already lost the case & have the choice of paying the fine or prison - i am currently appealing against the severity of the sentence

Does paying up admit guilt, and impact any crb checks for your career ?

If not, my advice is pay up no matter how painful.

this is a concern (CRB / DBS checks in future) & possibly travelling to the states.. i will be paying no doubt - i'm just appealing / haggling over the debt now..

One of the most common things drunk blokes say when they have got all pissed up and lamp someone is the ol' "saving a lady" scenario. It's reasonably clever in that if you are guilty you can give the impression you did this for an "honorable" reason. It's flawed because it just smacks of bulldust.

& dont forget self defence!!

Oh, regarding your witness: The Hun hate septics, regarding them as ignorant, sex crazed bullies with no manners, and a rep for not being able to hold their liquor.

i hoped this would go for me - that he was a yank & they wouldnt mind that.. certainly the police who dealt with it appreciated that aspect..

So the guy has brain damage. That ups the stakes somewhat.
mild concussion at most - he was up & dazed (after a while) - i've got a photo of him..

Yep, lawyer the shit out of this. The "victim" has brain damage so you'll need to shield yourself against a civil case too. In all seriousness, good luck, hope you get away with it.

a civil case from a yank or his insurance company - a real possibility - maybe i wont bait him up on social media

Somewhere in the letter throw in "Two World Wars and one World Cup" for good measure. That should be the last you hear of it.
i may have mentioned this after several hours in custody - may not have helped..

A technical knockout (TKO or T.K.O.) is declared when the referee or official ring physician decide that a fighter cannot safely continue the match.

i stand corrected - it was a 1 punch KO

Seeing as that's likely to involve an Oompah band, it doesn't sound good in any respect.

they were - schatze schenk mir ein foto is a personal favourite

10 litres? 17 pints. Sheesh!

it was a long day & i didnt get to finish my 10th stein - the good news was that once they let me out, i was allowed straight back in to carry on drinking for a couple more before bed - woke up with a WTF happened flashbacks you get after a big night out & you may have done something embarassing..

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
thanks for all advice - some of it sensible

this is it - other than i doubt i will win the case / have already lost the case & have the choice of paying the fine or prison - i am currently appealing against the severity of the sentence

this is a concern (CRB / DBS checks in future) & possibly travelling to the states.. i will be paying no doubt - i'm just appealing / haggling over the debt now..

& dont forget self defence!!

i hoped this would go for me - that he was a yank & they wouldnt mind that.. certainly the police who dealt with it appreciated that aspect..

mild concussion at most - he was up & dazed (after a while) - i've got a photo of him..

a civil case from a yank or his insurance company - a real possibility - maybe i wont bait him up on social media

i may have mentioned this after several hours in custody - may not have helped..

i stand corrected - it was a 1 punch KO

they were - schatze schenk mir ein foto is a personal favourite

it was a long day & i didnt get to finish my 10th stein - the good news was that once they let me out, i was allowed straight back in to carry on drinking for a couple more before bed - woke up with a WTF happened flashbacks you get after a big night out & you may have done something embarassing..

So after assaulting a person giving them a brain injury you thought it was good idea to go straight back to drinking as soon as you were released ??? how long did they hold you for?
Is there a point to the TKO & 1 punch KO references? or is your thinking this will make you seem more "manly" because you were a able knock a man down with one punch? and it will impress people?

Swillis

Banned
Dec 10, 2015

How long after you finished drinking were you interviewed, were you still feeling the effects?

A possible angle?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
So after assaulting a person giving them a brain injury you thought it was good idea to go straight back to drinking as soon as you were released ??? how long did they hold you for?
Is there a point to the TKO & 1 punch KO references? or is your thinking this will make you seem more "manly" because you were a able knock a man down with one punch? and it will impress people?

Contusion is not a brain injury. It's another name for a bruise. It won't cause lasting damage.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
In terms of future travel to the US, you're probably already in a tight spot........you need to apply for a visa (rather than the online ESTA) if you have a conviction. Can take months and good chance of refusal anyway I believe.

OGH's Libido

Nov 30, 2014
Going on-line and making a record of your assertion that his nationality somehow dampens the consequences is a pretty dumb move.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Having re-read this thread I'm now of the opinion this isn't true.

Dec 29, 2011
This. Some people saying they hope OP 'gets away with it'. To me it sounds like OP was a massive **** and shouldn't have drunk so much if he can't control himself when he's drunk. There are other ways of dealing with situations than violence, you could have restrained the alleged sexual assaulter, called the police and got him banged up. Sounds to me like you wanted a fight coz your were with the 'lads' and used this as a flimsy excuse. Face the consequences like a man an stop trying to wriggle out of it.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
Having re-read this thread I'm now of the opinion this isn't true.

I'm beginning to think this. Also, how did he get the girls details? It appears he didnt know her prior to the event and it seems a bit off that he would suddenly have a moment of clarity in the drunken haze to then ask for them before the police show up.

I would assume that the Police wouldn't give them out

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here