Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Ban romantic novel's

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
2) Getting things back on track...why are millenials offended by Friends, Only fools and horses, Bond and romance novels?

Friends are all white group with few other races in the show. Only Fools used the "p" word casually on a couple of occasions, make joke about Sikhs (though i know some who love that episode) and tbf bit white for Peckham. Bond was a bit of sex pest. romance novels, imagine its portrayal of women as desperate for a lustful kiss.

they should watch the Sweeney, would blow their minds.

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
Yeah, that's one that immediately occurred to me. Or Becky Sharp, now there's a really modern woman, living on her own wits.

I accept that the heroines are the products of their time but I can't see them as feminist role models. The whole point of P&P is the need to get daughters married off and the search for eligible men, it's the opening line of the book. Elizabeth is being pushed to marry Darcy from the very first pages and eventually does - I can't see that as a mark of a strong, independent woman.

Now, if M&MM had said Fanny Price, he may well have had a point. There is a heroine who rejects the marriage offer of a wealthy, eligible man and is prepared to suffer the consequences. For all Elizabeth's wit, Fanny is a much better role model for the modern woman.

I loved Becky Sharpe, and Moll Flanders. Two women who had to live by their wits in a harsh world where the balance was hugely in favour of the menfolk. It’s interesting, though, that both the authors were male, and appeared in their writing to condemn their heroines for their outrageous behaviour, although you do wonder how they could have created such big characters without secretly admiring them too.

And in Elizabeth’s defence, she didn’t succumb to pressure to marry Darcy because everyone else thought she should, but only because she wanted to after she had opened his eyes to the arrogant, twatish snob he’d been behaving like (and vice versa you could say, hence the book title - who was proud and who was prejudiced?)

Oh, and I’m a she, not a he!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Oh, and I’m a she, not a he!

Many apologies; that was a foolish assumption on my part.

I liked Becky Sharp too and you're right, I don't think we're meant to admire her but she's considerably more fascinating than the awful Amelia. I've not read Moll Flanders so can't comment on that.

And of course, Elizabeth only marries Darcy when she realises that she's been mistaken about him but she's still fulfilling society's expectations of her. Austen created a far more viable feminist heroine in Fanny Price, who rejects Crawford's proposal, despite the huge societal and family pressures. If you wanted to pick another strong female character by a female author, Dorothea Brooke comes immediately to mind.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Novels.

And.....absurd thread. What IS the point?

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
6048B4E7-D180-4A97-9746-0CDA17274D7A.jpg Utter filth........:ban:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
There's two types of people who get upset over things like this:

1. The feathery little twerps who are offended in the first place.

2. The Daily Mail reading, permanently outraged coronary candidates who get into a flap over anyone questioning the status quo.

Both should be completely ignored.

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
My apologies as well, as I'd assumed you were male. (Post #40)

PS - Can you tell from my posting style that I'm 25 years old, extremely rich and look like a young Brad Pitt?

Of course! And I’m even more impressed that at 10 you had the confidence to join and negotiate the shark pit of NSC. In retrospect you could say this was the first hint of a bold and entrepreneurial spirit that led to you earn your millions in the ensuing years. :kiss:

btnbelle

Apr 26, 2017
There's two types of people who get upset over things like this:

1. The feathery little twerps who are offended in the first place.

2. The Daily Mail reading, permanently outraged coronary candidates who get into a flap over anyone questioning the status quo.

Both should be completely ignored.

You forgot the third group.

People who voted remain and have not yet accepted that we are leaving the EU.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here