Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Baldock

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Well I'm in for Sam as he always harries the defenders to create space for others something the rest seemed incapable of. If we can replace that with someone who can score then I'm but it will cost a fair chunk of money

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Agreed. Absolutely nothing logical or useful can be taken from those final 4/5 games. They were utter lunacy.

Well said. I've been trying to get my head around it, and have finally realised there's no point. :mad::shrug:

Roll on next season.

happygull

Dec 28, 2011
At the end of the day we all know that Sam is a nice guy, tries hard, creates space, runs like CMS and has a great work ethic ... but we want promotion, and we just missed out .... we wont get promotion when your number 9 only scores 4 in 33 appearances

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
At the end of the day we all know that Sam is a nice guy, tries hard, creates space, runs like CMS and has a great work ethic ... but we want promotion, and we just missed out .... we wont get promotion when your number 9 only scores 4 in 33 appearances

Give him a different number, then. Might make all the difference.

I like him, and I seem to remember reading and hearing on more than one occasion Mr Hughton's appreciation of him and what he brings to the team. I think his opinion matters more than most.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Greer in injury time, at home to CARDIFF was the worst miss I've seen, from any Brighton player, ever. Almost impossible.
Really? A CB trying to get on the end of a pacey ball at the back post and score with his knee Is the worst miss you have ever seen? Dean Saunders away at West Brom beats that a thousand times over.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Brighton fans can be so hard to please. We scored more goals than Boro, and earned 89 points.
Injuries are what finally cost us promotion, not individual players.
Forget trying to find scapegoats.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
No way are we getting 3 new strikers this summer, so Baldock stays.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
All regular goalscorers have one thing in common...good positional sense. They tend to be in the right place at the right time. They have an innate ability to second guess what is likely to happen and react to it. They can pull away from defenders and make that extra yard of space. They have good balance and can adjust their bodies to knock the ball in from awkward positions. They have confidence in their own ability. They know the runs to make and when to make them.
Hemed has better positional sense than Baldock but lacks the latter's mobility. Baldock can make the runs into areas that creates space for Hemed but will score less goals, as he will get on the end of less chances. They dovetail quite well together but over the course of a whole season are, between them, likely to contribute between 15-20 goals. This leaves us a little light in goals and the need is there for another striker capable of 10-12 goals.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
All regular goalscorers have one thing in common...good positional sense. They tend to be in the right place at the right time. They have an innate ability to second guess what is likely to happen and react to it. They can pull away from defenders and make that extra yard of space. They have good balance and can adjust their bodies to knock the ball in from awkward positions. They have confidence in their own ability. They know the runs to make and when to make them.
Hemed has better positional sense than Baldock but lacks the latter's mobility. Baldock can make the runs into areas that creates space for Hemed but will score less goals, as he will get on the end of less chances. They dovetail quite well together but over the course of a whole season are, between them, likely to contribute between 15-20 goals. This leaves us a little light in goals and the need is there for another striker capable of 10-12 goals.

Strikers who score goals generally work in a strike partnership. Would Wardy have scored so many goals without Mellor? I bet there were Brighton fans moaning that Spider hadn't scored many goals.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Strikers who score goals generally work in a strike partnership. Would Wardy have scored so many goals without Mellor? I bet there were Brighton fans moaning that Spider hadn't scored many goals.

I agree.
I think Spider got about 14 when Wardy broke the club record with 36. The total contribution of 50 goals was amazing and took all the burden away from other players. I believe that Hemed and Baldock is a pairing that works well for us but because Hemed isn't ultra-clinical and Baldock doesn't get on the end of much, I just feel that they are going to leave us a little light on goals. Another proven goalscorer, who can regularly come off the bench and contribute 10 + goals, is the answer.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I agree.
I think Spider got about 14 when Wardy broke the club record with 36. The total contribution of 50 goals was amazing and took all the burden away from other players. I believe that Hemed and Baldock is a pairing that works well for us but because Hemed isn't ultra-clinical and Baldock doesn't get on the end of much, I just feel that they are going to leave us a little light on goals. Another proven goalscorer, who can regularly come off the bench and contribute 10 + goals, is the answer.

I agree. Bobby is the one who needs replacing, as Baldock & Hemed are doing ok together. It's only been one season, and I think Hemed's goal tally would have been greater if he had received the service throughout the season, that he had before and after our injury crisis in mid winter.
This next season, I believe, will bring a greater yield as they've got experience under their belts.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Really? A CB trying to get on the end of a pacey ball at the back post and score with his knee Is the worst miss you have ever seen? Dean Saunders away at West Brom beats that a thousand times over.

The fact he's a centre back doesn't alter the physics of the chance, it really wasn't that 'pacey', he didn't need to swing his knee at it (just needed to let it hit him), it was eight inches from goal, and I didn't witness the Saunders miss you suggest. So yes, it WAS the worst that I have seen.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Give him a different number, then. Might make all the difference.

I like him, and I seem to remember reading and hearing on more than one occasion Mr Hughton's appreciation of him and what he brings to the team. I think his opinion matters more than most.

He's hardly going to say "Sam is a great league 1 player, but not great at the level we are operating." is he? Even if it's the case...

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
We sell Baldock and sign 3 new strikers? Yeah seems likely. Hughton has started him every time he has been fit this season.

Probably by design and not by choice given that BZ and Wilson were both crocked, he's also the first striker he takes off as well. Strange that, taking off such a prolific off the ball runner, ffs. People should not try to defend the indefensible.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010

Good post.

Both strikers have very separate and distinct qualities although a natural, consistent goalscoring instinct like Murray or Ulloa hasn't been obvious from their performances this year. As a combination next year you'd have to expect only about 20 goals between them and that won't maximise our chances of promotion.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here