Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Baldock Up For Sale ?

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Baldock scored more goals than you will think, some absolute worldies too. Loved his goal against sheff wednesday outragoues outside of the boot assist from Dunk.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
A proper little shithouse is just what we could do with on the field now. I think his father was a vicar too.

Is his father a Vicar ? I didn't know that. You would never know it. Sam likes a drink or 20 - He is also really funny guy to be around when you speak to him. I hope he finds a good Club. Very likeable bloke.

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
He had a great season in 16/17 and scored a load of important goals - none of them simple tap ins either. In fact if it wasn't for Sidwell's halfway-line effort (which Baldock assisted by causing the Bristol City player to play a loose pass) he'd probably have had 4 potential winners for GOTS: Reading home, QPR home, Barnsley away, Fulham home.

The QPR goal and overall game was excellent, day after Boxing day I think.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
One of my favourite players.

Gutted that he never really got a chance in the Prem.
But he really didn't fit with the ultra defensive set up we were playing in that first season.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
The QPR goal and overall game was excellent, day after Boxing day I think.

It was the early KO on Boxing Day itself. Felt like a significant result as it was the half-way point in the season and we'd already reached 51 points!

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
He played twice in the Premier League for us (albeit briefly):-

WBA 2 - 0 Albion

Albion 0 - 2 Leicester City

... and we lost both games without scoring, which is fairly typical of his involvement.

He was good when our team was too good for the league, but fairly useless when the team was poor. There's a lot of revisionism about him, that first season he almost fired us to relegation with his three goals. I won't forget him celebrating an own goal as if he'd scored a worldie. It is no surprise whatsoever that he's gone to Reading and been dropped. We did very well getting him out of the door and I'm sure MK Dons will take him back in the summer on a free. He scored a lot of goals in the 3rd tier before and I'm sure he'll do a job at that level again.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I let that championship thing go very quickly - promotion was the main main main aim bud. And we’d have won the title had the players not all been pissed still. Heard tales of one player that barely drinks saying he could barely feel his legs at Norwich :lol:

This.

Yes ok it would have been very nice to have been able to add a nice big silver trophy to our collection, but getting to the Premier League via whatever means, was very much all that mattered.

The players mentally relaxed after securing promotion against Wigan, and as you say were on the drink until the end of the season. That's the main reason that the title wasn't won, not super Sam missing a sitter at Villa.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Baldock scored more goals than you will think, some absolute worldies too. Loved his goal against sheff wednesday outragoues outside of the boot assist from Dunk.

Sam scored 18 goals in 81 appearances for the Albion, an ok return l guess, but he had been absolutely prolific for two of his former clubs, MK Dons, and then Bristol City.

Perhaps that was the reason that we expected an awful lot more from him on the goalscoring front. Fair to say too that we didn't exactly deploy him as an out and out centre forward, and often played him in a slightly deeper attacking role.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
This.

Yes ok it would have been very nice to have been able to add a nice big silver trophy to our collection, but getting to the Premier League via whatever means, was very much all that mattered.

The players mentally relaxed after securing promotion against Wigan, and as you say were on the drink until the end of the season. That's the main reason that the title wasn't won, not super Sam missing a sitter at Villa.

'a nice big silver trophy'! It's a bit more than that though isn't it! The Championship trophy is the old Division One trophy with over a century of history etched on to it.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
'a nice big silver trophy'! It's a bit more than that though isn't it! The Championship trophy is the old Division One trophy with over a century of history etched on to it.

Still big and made of silver though I recall? lol. My point is, yes it would have been great to have finished as Champions and won the bloody thing, after all l think we deserved it over the course of the season, and only switched off for the last three games, but it's all in the past now, and our single objective was to reach the promised land of the Premier League, and we accomplished that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here