Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Baldock - immense game

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Baldock seems to have his own goal of the season competition this season. Brilliant goals at home to Fulham, home to QPR, away to Barnsley and yesterday. What a season he is having.

Anyone still having doubts about Baldock, if anyone is left, should look at the second Barnsley goal where he ran back to win the ball back from a corner and then finished the move too.

Spot on. However, if that first effort had curled an inch more and gone in that might have settled it. Al Habsi was absolutely helpless, rooted to the spot.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
In fairness to him, he wasn't the only one who criticised Baldock regularly. I've always thought he was under rated here. For example, Hughton had us improving when he arrived and our end of season bad run coincided with injury for Baldock. However, he didn't score enough goals for a striker. This season he's added more goals and I think got more than his other two season put together. Key part of the team now.

Yes - and I think a bit of criticism in his early days was fair (although he was often played out of position.) NE has continued his very harsh criticism last season and this, despite Sam CLEARLY proving his worth in bundles.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I have not been in the SB fan club but neither have I hated him, I have (had) just been concerned about his strike rate. I thought he had no confidence that his first touch was poor and more often than not moved away from the goal rather towards it. The last two games have demonstrated how good a striker he can be , being slightly greedy and going for it rather than trying to make it happen for someone else. Not sure what has been said or maybe he has just realised that it doesn't have to just be the Murray show but I am glad he is scoring because with that comes more confidence and self belief and he has given the whole team a lift.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Yes - and I think a bit of criticism in his early days was fair (although he was often played out of position.) NE has continued his very harsh criticism last season and this, despite Sam CLEARLY proving his worth in bundles.

I'm not defending him. He's never acknowledged when Baldock had a good game and, funnily enough, has disappeared now he's in great form. I agree it's pathetic.

He has been one of our best players this season (as shown by our form when he was out of the team).

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
If we had a top five goals of the season, four would be baldocks. Fulham, Barnsley, QPR, and reading, a long with sidwell as number one. Murray v Preston and villa also good.

Sent from my P9000 using Tapatalk

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
To me it seems like Baldock thrives when he knows he's the main man. He was superb for Bristol City when he was the captain, it's taken time for him to settle into our team but he can clearly see how important he is to the team, and this seems to make him work/run/chase harder. He's like a dog with five dicks out there. That goal yesterday was ridiculous, it was Luis Suarez style strength and determination. I've always liked Baldock but I cannot and will not pretend that I thought he was capable of this level of performance week in week out. I'm so looking forward to Newcastle's defence having to play against him for a full match.
Great post. He's one of the first names on the team sheet atm, and now we have 4 strikers to choose from that has sent his confidence sky high!

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
He's having his best spell for us, that's for sure. So the next question is - would you keep him in the prem?

beefypigeon

Aug 14, 2008
He has always been a great team player and very clever in the way he pulls defenders out of position for other players to exploit. I've been one of his admirers for a long time despite him not contributing too much on the goal front... a bit like Ashley Barnes mark II in that regard.

The difference now, is that he is brimming with confidence. Where before he would have passed, he is now confident enough to take the shot on. The Barnsley opening goal being a prime example of this, and he even tried to pluck an audacious volley out of the sky in the second half against Reading. Long may it continue!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here