Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Bakery shops

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Jul 7, 2003
The Pantry at South Farm Road in Worthing is brilliant. Polish chap owns it and makes a whole feast of bread, pies, quiche etc by hand every day.
There are a few smaller bakeries around for rolls and breads too which is handy.

Not to mention the best sausage rolls around. Good quality sausage meet with very buttery pastry.

As for BGs original question, there is also an independent baker at the Keymer end of Hassocks but it is more of a modern 'artisan' bakers than the traditional bakers I think he is looking for.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I am trying to talk Mrs BG into buying small packets of bread mix and leave the bread maker switched on through a timer so that it s ready when we get up for breakfast and for toast or croutons the next day. She is concerned that it is not safe to leave it switched on all night but will leave tablets etc charging all night. No logic to me

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Or perhaps Mrs BG could purchase BG an Amazon Echo. At least it's designed to answer inane questions like this and we wouldn't have to put up with it.

This sort of stuff is one of the main reasons I am still on here. You seriously couldn’t write it.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
With reference to this and other threads, would it not be worthwhile the club looking at introducing an upper age limit for season ticket holders, say 70. That would release tickets for a new generation of fans, whether they be complete JCLs or just JCLs by association (related to STHs). Let's be honest, there are probably few 70+ fans that purchase plenty of stuff from the club shop, buy loads of pies/pints etc. There are strong economic arguments for ditching fans such as BG. Discuss?

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
Go an a single day bakery course and bake your own. The most cathartic of experiences and so worth it. Learn to make a Sourdough starter and play about with various flours, spelts, ryes etc

On the Isle of Arran is the Blackwaterfoot Bakehouse and George the Baker bakes the most amazing complex breads. Glass breads from Galicia, various Foccacia's and some interesting medieval loaves.

Oh and Lidle and Aldi do very good strong bread flour for 75p a bag (1.5kg) so you can make a seriously scrumptious loaf for about 30p.
If you feel a bit more adventurous you can buy a sack of freshly milled flour from one of these traditional windmill millers and get it delivered to your house and keep it in a big white bin...

Tis such fun a baking!

TNBA

TTF

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
I use Tesco White Crusty Bread Mix in mine. I don't understand what all this turning off talk is, mine makes the bread and turns itself off when it's finished.
BG you could try a visit to Iceland, (the foodstore not the country) They have a White Bloomer and Tiger Bloomer, although not baked in store are very good.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
b3fe71d87cd2ec0068746d55f575382a.jpg

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I use Tesco White Crusty Bread Mix in mine. I don't understand what all this turning off talk is, mine makes the bread and turns itself off when it's finished.
BG you could try a visit to Iceland, (the foodstore not the country) They have a White Bloomer and Tiger Bloomer, although not baked in store are very good.

We have one that also turns it self off and my idea was to put the plug into a timer so that it switched on about 7am so that when we get up it will be cooked but her that has to be obeyed is not happy with leaving it switched on all night. As I said she leaves phones tablets etc charging all night so I cannot see the logic of not wanting to leave a breadmaker switched on.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
With reference to this and other threads, would it not be worthwhile the club looking at introducing an upper age limit for season ticket holders, say 70. That would release tickets for a new generation of fans, whether they be complete JCLs or just JCLs by association (related to STHs). Let's be honest, there are probably few 70+ fans that purchase plenty of stuff from the club shop, buy loads of pies/pints etc. There are strong economic arguments for ditching fans such as BG. Discuss?

You may have a point about not spending much money in the shop the reason being they do not stock my size otherwise I would and I do not buy much food only an occasional coffee or Bovril but again if they sold a beer that I like I would probably buy a couple of pints. However, I wouldnt expect them to change suppliers just to suit me and Harveys seems to be popular with most. of the ale drinkers and youngsters will drink whatever lager is available.

You may have a point about not spending much money in the shop the reason being they do not stock my size otherwise I would and I do not buy much food only an occasional coffee or Bovril but again if they sold a beer that I like I would probably buy a couple of pints. However, I wouldnt expect them to change suppliers just to suit me and Harveys seems to be popular with most. of the ale drinkers and youngsters will drink whatever lager is available.

:facepalm:

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
On the subject of bakeries, it was always a little strange back in the early 00’s to see the Albion players pile into the Old London Road, Patcham bakery on a Friday lunchtime when they were playing away, iirc a certain mr Jones enjoyed the curry pasties [emoji23]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here