Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Back to the striker thing

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
I feel a bit differently about it. I’m actually of the opinion that for the first time in years we have options for the front three.

I completely understand the impatience regarding goals, but I can’t be the only person who watched that match yesterday and thinks that goals are going to come.

We’re having shots on target. Yes, they’re aimed right at the keeper, but we’re getting players in attacking positions who are getting shots away. Our attacking players seem a bit shell shocked by that atm, but the more this happens, the more confidence they’ll gain, the more likely they’ll be to slot them away.

I think Wellbeck when fit will score goals. I think Tau will score goals. If Andone can be rehabilitated I think he will score goals. Maupay will score goals, even Trossard (who is showing great movement with no end product reward) will score goals. I would have Connolly and Zequiri out on loan personally, I think they both need lots of game time at Championship level.

I know we can’t survive for ever with the promise of “jam tomorrow”, but I’m seeing a lot of good in what we’re doing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trossard reminds me a little of Raheem Sterling a few years back. He and Maupay are consistently getting into the right positions but don't have either the instinct or composure necessary to deliver goals.
i actually think Connolly isn't far behind. He's too good for the Championship in my view.

I see improvement over the past month (in Maupay in particular) but more work to do on the training ground.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I feel a bit differently about it. I’m actually of the opinion that for the first time in years we have options for the front three.

I completely understand the impatience regarding goals, but I can’t be the only person who watched that match yesterday and thinks that goals are going to come.

We’re having shots on target. Yes, they’re aimed right at the keeper, but we’re getting players in attacking positions who are getting shots away. Our attacking players seem a bit shell shocked by that atm, but the more this happens, the more confidence they’ll gain, the more likely they’ll be to slot them away.

I think Wellbeck when fit will score goals. I think Tau will score goals. If Andone can be rehabilitated I think he will score goals. Maupay will score goals, even Trossard (who is showing great movement with no end product reward) will score goals. I would have Connolly and Zequiri out on loan personally, I think they both need lots of game time at Championship level.

I know we can’t survive for ever with the promise of “jam tomorrow”, but I’m seeing a lot of good in what we’re doing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This.

I think we've been a bit....unlucky up front, and the tide will turn :shrug:

SittingbourneSeagull

Dec 27, 2007
Sittingbourne
Wellbeck was shelling a few before he got injured as well.

He has only got 2. In fact apart from Maupay no one has more than 2.

I think Maupay would benefit playing alongside a big striker but its not going to happen so we just need to do the best with what we have.

twickers

Jul 17, 2003
It does feel a bit like watching the final days of CMS at the moment. The harder Maupay and Trossard try to WILL the ball over the line, the more the ball refuses to play, er, ball. Anxiety in front of goal is proving counter-productive in our current predicament. Trying too hard?

I know it's easy to say from the arm chair, but it does appear to be the prize of a goal is so much it's giving them the yips. Leo a few weeks ago (the disallowed goal for allegedly fouling with two hands) he took from distance with aplomb...I suspect because he'd created something from his run and it was instinctive. Last night....just a second of composure would have made all the difference or relaxed instinct, but it's like Leo and Maupay don't do either.

I wonder if it's pressure from feeling the need to do something with the elaborate build up play. It's truly wonderful at times, but it's like no-one wants to mess it up in the final ball, then it comes and they just lash out.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I'm not arguing with that statement.

The fact that I am arguing with is that Mitrovic is better.
Shot accuracy 36% in Prem overall and 31% this season.
What makes you think he would have buried any of our opportunities last night?

Fulhams keeper was quite skinny . . . . if he'd hit it straight at im there's a chance he would have scored and the keeper would be in the back of the net as well. Maupays shot from outside the box was weaker than a backpass to the keeper from one of our corners.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
I was much happier with Maupay's all round game last night, he put in an honest shift and maybe deserved a little luck.

Just before our game I saw Mee bury a back stick corner for Burnley, from a peach of a cross. A quality set piece from the unsophisticated Northern lumps, who somehow lack the finesse of our more fancy double team corner routine. It certainly helps to take some of the pressure off the forwards.

He may still be a youngster and maybe not a guaranteed starter, but if he is on the pitch Mac Alister should be taking ALL of our corners and set pieces. Gross and March are welcome to come along and advise on the wind speed and ball valve alignment.

As disappointing as last night was, we have no reason to assume we can't pick up points from a run of tough games. We have the resources to do this, which is just as well, as there is no chance of us signing a striker, (gamble or not) given the size of the existing squad.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Trossard reminds me a little of Raheem Sterling a few years back. He and Maupay are consistently getting into the right positions but don't have either the instinct or composure necessary to deliver goals.
i actually think Connolly isn't far behind. He's too good for the Championship in my view.

I see improvement over the past month (in Maupay in particular) but more work to do on the training ground.

Rashford has said a lot or really interesting stuff about the skill of goal scoring. He has spoken about how Mourinho was instrumental in teaching him about composure. Essentially, does he take a first time shot or delay the shot through a dummy or feint etc to get a better opportunity. His deflected goal at the Amex this season is a good example of where he is very calm in the box whilst our defenders are diving left, right and centre to block.

With composure last night, Tross would have passed to Mac instead of shooting for his first chance as Mac had little more than a tap in. In our final chance, Solly just blasted the ball at a group of defenders, the block was always going to be the most likely outcome. He could have easily sold them a dummy with a feinted shot and then manoeuvred himself quickly to the left where the goal was gaping.

Composure in front of goal has to be the focus for us now.

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
The same thing as applies to any "X striker would score these chances" option: They don't play for Brighton. Everyone always seems to think this "buy a striker" lark is a piece of p!ss, just pick random A. N. Other striker somewhere, doesn't really matter who or what their form / price / goal return / wages look like and state with confidence that they're better than what we have.
So are you saying that we should stick with what we have, because getting someone else in is a gamble?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Fulhams keeper was quite skinny . . . . if he'd hit it straight at im there's a chance he would have scored and the keeper would be in the back of the net as well. Maupays shot from outside the box was weaker than a backpass to the keeper from one of our corners.

I missed that one I think?
Or are you talking about the one from Macallister's flick? Thought that was a decent shot tbh.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
I was much happier with Maupay's all round game last night, he put in an honest shift and maybe deserved a little luck.

Just before our game I saw Mee bury a back stick corner for Burnley, from a peach of a cross. A quality set piece from the unsophisticated Northern lumps, who somehow lack the finesse of our more fancy double team corner routine. It certainly helps to take some of the pressure off the forwards.

He may still be a youngster and maybe not a guaranteed starter, but if he is on the pitch Mac Alister should be taking ALL of our corners and set pieces. Gross and March are welcome to come along and advise on the wind speed and ball valve alignment.

As disappointing as last night was, we have no reason to assume we can't pick up points from a run of tough games. We have the resources to do this, which is just as well, as there is no chance of us signing a striker, (gamble or not) given the size of the existing squad.

:lol: :lol:

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I missed that one I think?
Or are you talking about the one from Macallister's flick? Thought that was a decent shot tbh.

First half, It's not in the highlights, picked it up on the left, ran 10 yards and shot from about the 18 yard line. straight at the keepers midrift.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
So are you saying that we should stick with what we have, because getting someone else in is a gamble?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

No. I'm saying that applying the logic I mentioned is ridiculous, requires no actual thought and serves no purpose. Although what you say is also true

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green
I'm not arguing with that statement.

The fact that I am arguing with is that Mitrovic is better.
Shot accuracy 36% in Prem overall and 31% this season.
What makes you think he would have buried any of our opportunities last night?

In my opinion I said that if mitrovic had the chances Maupassant had he would of tucked a few away over the course of this season that’s what I believe .I bet Barnes would love to be on the end of the amount of chances we create .I bet he scored his goals with a lot less chances or pens

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

gnjd_85

May 19, 2009
Maupay is a goalscorer. 9 goals in 17 games this year, a goal every 1.89 games. Ulloa in total was a goal every 2.17 games. Yes there's more to it than pure goals per games, but these things are always brighter with rose tinted spectacles. People used to complain about Ulloa too, said he was too slow, missed too many chances etc.

Maupay isn't perfect, but there aren't a lot of perfect strikers out there. He's probably one of the five or so most successful strikers signed by bottom half teams over the past three to five years. There might be better out there but they're not easy to find.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
An out an out striker, not winger come forward, the main goal threat. Not an ageing returnee, but an exciting signing that paid off. How long ago..

Think it's a bit harsh to call Murray an "ageing returnee" when he re-signed for us 4 years ago. He was still a very decent Championship striker. Hemed was good for that level as well.

Also, why do you have Mackhail-Smith on there for 2014?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here