Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I miss Withdean!

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
I remember when you could just walk out and get on the first train that came along, truly those were the greatest days.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Life was simpler back then.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
wwwcitylibrariesinfo_00689_s.jpg

Bean

Feb 13, 2010
Hove
Shit hole of a stadium doesn't seem apt, really.

Compared to many stadia, the settings were delightful. How many stadia have leaves falling on top on them from a nature reserve, busy skies (birds and not pollution), wasps and bees aplenty.

Inappropriate for a professional team, but shit hole, it was not.

I referring more about the stadium itself and its facilities, granted it is a nice area.

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
There was definitely no grass on the pitch. Maybe they rolled it up and packed it off to the Open like they used to do with the South Stand :lol:.

Very odd to cut it that short as I thought we were still using Withdean for reserve games. Perhaps the groundman thought, 'sod it, I'm too busy at the Amex this summer to worry about Withers, lets just give 'er a grade 0 and let her look after herself for a couple of months'.

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
Shit hole of a stadium doesn't seem apt, really.

Compared to many stadia, the settings were delightful. How many stadia have leaves falling on top on them from a nature reserve, busy skies (birds and not pollution), wasps and bees aplenty.

Inappropriate for a professional team, but shit hole, it was not.

Huh? Delightful! You obviously don't remember the mudbaths that accompanied The Championship winning game against Cheaterfield, the state of the pitch against Southend on New Years day, and the regular drip, drip, drip, of persistant rain through each and every poncho......

I remember being huddled in the Sportsman before a game against Burnley and seriously considering not actually watching the game but staying in the bar for the duration, so heavy the deluge had become.......

However at around 2.55pm I very reluctantly donned my waterproof trousers, and ventured out, much like Captain Oates........

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Very odd to cut it that short as I thought we were still using Withdean for reserve games. Perhaps the groundman thought, 'sod it, I'm too busy at the Amex this summer to worry about Withers, lets just give 'er a grade 0 and let her look after herself for a couple of months'.

Reserve games are played at Lancing, Talk was that Whitehawk would play there for a bit, but that didnt happen, not sure if anyone has been playing there this season. its a shame it wasnt looked after and used for School cup finals, rep games etc.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
Quite emotional looking at those pictures. As inappropriate as it was for a pro football stadia it will always hold many fond memories for me, as well as some pretty unpleasant ones. Standing under one of the crap loud tannoy speakers trying to work out what the team actually was whilst eating chips in the drizzling rain looking at the trees with my dad and brother springs to mind quite often. There was something almost romantic about the place.

Tomnorthi

Jan 2, 2010
BN15
My view at Withdean was pretty good to be fair.

Attachments

• IMGP4050.JPG
    IMGP4050.JPG
    338.7 KB · Views: 33

superpaw

Oct 18, 2008
What's happened to the pitch in that photo? Looks like sand.

I walked past Saturday morning when they were doing this. Tractors were stripping off the old turf while followed by another tractor rotovating or aerating the soil. There was a huge pile of sand in the car park which it looks like they've then spread on the surface. So I'd guess they've either got grass seed mixed in with the sand, or they're gonna turf it later.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I walked past Saturday morning when they were doing this. Tractors were stripping off the old turf while followed by another tractor rotovating or aerating the soil. There was a huge pile of sand in the car park which it looks like they've then spread on the surface. So I'd guess they've either got grass seed mixed in with the sand, or they're gonna turf it later.

That would be my guess, as they didn't play any reserve matches there this last season. I know the team trained at the Amex a couple of months ago because the training ground was bad and Poyet said the Withdean pitch wasn't suitable any more. It's probably being relaid.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I miss Withdean!

So do I. In a few years time, we'll be a Premier League team and all of Brighton and Hove will (rightly) be supporting the club and we'll be one of the elite clubs in the country, and it's fantastic to be associated with Brighton and Hove Albion. But a lot of them weren't interested when we were at Withdean, playing awful football with awful players in a modest league. I sort of miss the days when we weren't expecting much because we weren't up to much. Football supporting is a funny old game.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
It really was a shithole of a stadium wasn't it...but so many memories

better than four hours on a bus to the armpit of kent tho

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here