Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Baby murder nurse case

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I haven’t read the thread but have just been reading this;

Yep, Director of Nursing will be sacked soon. The public and political fury requires further inviduals punishmed and not surprisingly. Several others have moved on, but I can’t see them being employed elsewhere again. However they’ve all made their fortunes so probably don’t need to work again. All at tax payers expense, naturally.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Yep, Director of Nursing will be sacked soon. The public and political fury requires further inviduals punishmed and not surprisingly. Several others have moved on, but I can’t see them being employed elsewhere again. However they’ve all made their fortunes so probably don’t need to work again. All at tax payers expense, naturally.
I suspect you're completely right. In fact, my guess is that someone partly culpable will be made the scapegoat for the entire disgrace.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Evil bitch! Right up there with hindley and west! She’ll get what’s coming to her!
Wow.

That's a very misguided bit of emoting. Have you any idea what the moors murderers did to those kids? Evidently not.

It is very unhelpful to put all child killers into the same box, as if that somehow explains things. Clearly it won't help plan to avoid it happening again :shrug:

Two things are needed. One is better psychometric assessment of medical trainees during training to weed out the munchausen by proxy types. Second, to change the management culture so that managers cannot cover up unusual death patterns recognized during audit (as happened here).

I prefer solutions, and prevention, to after-the-fact mob rule.

Finally, these aren't the middle ages, and having this women attacked in the prison showers solves nothing, no matter how much pleasure it may give you.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
"Emails cease forthwith" is beyond appalling. Whichever jumped-up little twat wrote that needs to be made to explain themselves in a court of law. Good luck with that
I agree. Reminds me of the sort of shit we get where I work (albeit in a far less important context). The word 'unhelpful' pops up a lot too.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
You could probably make a case that anybody who did those wicked and cruel things to innocent and healthy little babies with a full life ahead of them must by definition be wrong in the head, so mental health issues.
Hope nobody does. She deserves prison - preferably the grimmest and roughest one available.
This is the funny thing isn't it?

If you kill babies, then by my (simple) definition, you ARE mentally ill. Only people whose brain isn't right would ever do that.

Doesn't mean she shouldn't be punished, as she still CHOSE to do horrific things, over and over again.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
This is the funny thing isn't it?

If you kill babies, then by my (simple) definition, you ARE mentally ill. Only people whose brain isn't right would ever do that.

Doesn't mean she shouldn't be punished, as she still CHOSE to do horrific things, over and over again.
Being mentally ill doesn’t necessarily exonerate you of having capacity. Which is the crucial element. Was she in control of her faculties when she committed the murders?

The fact she tried to hide her crimes and she evolved her method over a number of murders suggests that she probably had capacity.

As I say, being “mentally ill” isn’t an automatic get out of jail card .

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Being mentally ill doesn’t necessarily exonerate you of having capacity. Which is the crucial element. Was she in control of her faculties when she committed the murders?

The fact she tried to hide her crimes and she evolved her method over a number of murders suggests that she probably had capacity.

As I say, being “mentally ill” isn’t an automatic get out of jail card .
I agree, hence my final sentence.

My query is when people say she isn't mentally ill. I would argue that anyone who does something this horrific multiple times (ie not a crime of passion moment) has mental problems.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I suspect you're completely right. In fact, my guess is that someone partly culpable will be made the scapegoat for the entire disgrace.
Agree. Such is life. Her parents will be targeted. Their lives are in ruins too. People will want to blame them.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I agree, hence my final sentence.

My query is when people say she isn't mentally ill. I would argue that anyone who does something this horrific multiple times (ie not a crime of passion moment) has mental problems.
I agree too.

Not qualified to fathom what was going on in her mind but as you say, it’s mental illness for sure.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Wow.

That's a very misguided bit of emoting. Have you any idea what the moors murderers did to those kids? Evidently not.

It is very unhelpful to put all child killers into the same box, as if that somehow explains things. Clearly it won't help plan to avoid it happening again :shrug:

Two things are needed. One is better psychometric assessment of medical trainees during training to weed out the munchausen by proxy types. Second, to change the management culture so that managers cannot cover up unusual death patterns recognized during audit (as happened here).

Finally, these aren't the middle ages, and having this women attacked in the prison showers solves nothing, no matter how much pleasure it may give you.
TBF from a sentencing perspective the comparison isn’t unreasonable - it’s only the 4th whole life tariff handed out to a female, the others being, er West, Hindley and Dennehy.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Wow.

Changing the management culture is key.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
The crime is despicable - I felt sick reading some of the stories - but the cover up is everything that is wrong with corporate senior management culture in the UK. The people speaking up are seen as problematic, seniors wants to cover it up to avoid nasty questions and families experience bereavements that could have been avoided if people cared more about their lives than reputations.

Imagine being told that the hospital could be responsible for excess baby deaths and thinking "better get this swept under the carpet" Almost as morally bankrupt as she was.

Last edited:

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
The crime is despicable - I felt sick reading some of the stories - but the cover up is everything that is wrong with corporate senior management culture in the UK. The people speaking up are seen as problematic, seniors wants to cover it up to avoid nasty questions and families experience bereavements that could have been avoided if people cared more about their lives that reputations.

Imagine being told that the hospital could be responsible for excess baby deaths and thinking "better get this swept under the carpet" Almost as morally bankrupt as she was.
a friend told me this weekend whilst we were discussing Letsby of just such an instance. A senior nurse in wrong. Tried to blame on more junior nurse. Changed paperwork. Senior management closed ranks supporting their top nurse. Eventually she left, as a whistleblower. Now she’s an unemployed whistleblower and had to change professions. Seen it in corporate career. Why would it be any different in public sector really? Shameful though.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Awful, awful case and the punishment obviously fits the crime. Those poor kids and families.

Apologies if it's been mentioned on here before, but how was she allowed to dodge being present for sentencing? Surely if she's in custody, she should be made to go to court to 'face the music', so to speak?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here