[News] Baby murder nurse case

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Quite clearly a completely deranged individual.

The challenge for someone is to try and find out why, and is there anything to be learned to prevent it happening again, or identify total loons before they get into these positions.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Terrible case, no one could or would anticipate someone in such a position being so calculating. Something must have happened to her at some point in order to act this way. If not, then we have to face the fact she is a cold and calculating killer....and that fills me with the horror of wondering how many more might there be in positions of trust ?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Having had a daughter who was in the Royal Alex ICU from birth for nearly 5 months with the most incredible compassionate care from all the staff there (all the nurses were female) sends shivers up my spine. Heartbreaking

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Seems there is not only a woman touched by pure evil, gross miscompetence but also shocking attempts to cover up and deny what was going on in order to save reputation and careers. What an abysmal mess of a situation. It seems certain that her murderous behaviour could have been stopped much earlier, and that is perhaps unforgivable.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
No doubt her new cellmates are already planning a very special welcome for her, when her full life term is confirmed.

I just can't image the horrors that the parents who lost their babies due to this murderess feel every hour of everyday.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
No doubt her new cellmates are already planning a very special welcome for her, when her full life term is confirmed.

I just can't image the horrors that the parents who lost their babies due to this murderess feel every hour of everyday.
Vulnerable persons wing for life.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

She'll end up in a secure unit with Beverley Allit.

Never in a million years will I understand how a nurse can do something like this.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
I always try to let a fly out of a door or window than hurt it.

I just can't get my head around why someone could do what she's done. The pain
of the parents I can't begin to comprehend.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Seems there is not only a woman touched by pure evil, gross miscompetence but also shocking attempts to cover up and deny what was going on in order to save reputation and careers. What an abysmal mess of a situation. It seems certain that her murderous behaviour could have been stopped much earlier, and that is perhaps unforgivable.
The hospital bosses involved should be charged with manslaughter for allowing her to continue to work

We spoke to the lead consultant in the unit - who first raised concerns about Letby - and examined hospital documents. The investigation reveals a catalogue of failures and raises serious questions about how the hospital responded to the deaths.
Dr Brearey says he demanded Letby be taken off duty in June 2016, after the final two murders. Hospital management initially refused.
The BBC investigation also found:

• The hospital's top manager demanded the doctors write an apology to Letby and told them to stop making allegations against her
  • Two consultants were ordered to attend mediation with Letby, even though they suspected she was killing babies
  • When she was finally moved, Letby was assigned to the risk and patient safety office, where she had access to sensitive documents from the neonatal unit and was in close proximity to senior managers whose job it was to investigate her
  • Deaths were not reported appropriately, which meant the high fatality rate could not be picked up by the wider NHS system, a manager who took over after the deaths has told the BBC
  • As well as the seven murder convictions, Letby was on duty for another six baby deaths at the hospital - and the police have widened their investigation
  • Two babies also died while Letby was working at Liverpool Women's Hospital

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I always wonder what the parents of these people feel, knowing they've raised an absolute villain.

What a horrific case.

EDIT: should clarify - in no way am I attempting to apportion blame at the feet of her parents.
I wonder the same.
I’ve seen a few documentaries that touch on how the parents of high school shooters cope.
Most move far away and start new lives.
Some go into police protection.

But they likely never live a normal life again.

Just goes to show how many lives are devastated by murder.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Listened to an episode of Chatabix (podcast) recently and they had a professor of criminology on

One topic they discussed is whether people like Shipman (and I guess Letby now) put themselves into a career on purpose to give themselves access to commit these horrific crimes or whether it's being in the role (which they took with good intentions) that they suddenly notice an opportunity to kill which hadn't interested them before.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Listened to an episode of Chatabix (podcast) recently and they had a professor of criminology on

One topic they discussed is whether people like Shipman (and I guess Letby now) put themselves into a career on purpose to give themselves access to commit these horrific crimes or whether it's being in the role (which they took with good intentions) that they suddenly notice an opportunity to kill which hadn't interested them before.
Another thing I wonder.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports