Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BA Cabin Crew Strike

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Inflation is now going up, wait till you see interest rates rise and see how many will be happy on the minimum wage then

Totally correct here EnRest. Inflation has only just started to rise, and will do so dramatically into 2017 and beyond, and at some point interest rates will follow. There is going to be a real change of culture over the coming few years, far too many have mortgaged to the hilt on the back of near zero per cent interest rates. Whether that leads to people hunkering down to keep their jobs or fighting for better pay remains to be seen. This could lead to house prices stalling (maybe no bad thing) and who knows what else. One thing that is for certain is that Brexit has speeded up this process.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
5486de0e5303cb72503bd6ada33f171e.png

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Is it just me or are the standards of Air Stewards slipping, not just in attractiveness (which is also true), but they used to always smile and make you feel welcome on a plane.

Now I feel like I am bothering them when I ask for a water or because my TV is broken...

Having travelled with Cathay Pacific and Emirates recently, I found the Stewardesses attractive and helpful.

I can't comment about the Stewards. :)

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Guy at work was telling me about a business trip his wife made to New York, which necessitated flying with BA. When the flight attendant asked if she would like an evening meal, she asked what the choice was.

"Yes. Or no," replied the Attendant.

I like that.

Correct answer I suppose, with 3-400 people on a plane, the attendants can't offer what they don't have.

Btw don't you get a menu in business class anymore? Why the need to ask what the meal is?

Last edited:

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Last edited:

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
So Would you say the wage has gone up or down in the last 10 years? Most professions have had a wage cut by design or circumstances in the last 10years, hence no wage growth.

My point was 10 years ago it might have been a bit easier to live in Brighton for 770 ppm (although still a bit shit) but right now I think it would be a struggle.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
My point was 10 years ago it might have been a bit easier to live in Brighton for 770 ppm (although still a bit shit) but right now I think it would be a struggle.
Ok sorry mate, thought you were alluding to the fact that the figures were 10 years ago and thus a lot more now. I know it's a thread about a job most of us don't rate and find it a glorified holiday, but this is an indicator that people just can't live on these kinds of poor wages, yet we all still want to fly to Berlin for the same price it costs to get to Gatwick on the National express, something is wrong with pay in our society and it's only going to get worse.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
10 years ago.

Look at shared houses and 16k is still enough to survive on now. Mate of mine is in a shared house and he could take my £770 and live easily.

Again, it isn't by any means luxurious and you're knackered if you want to save any money but it's a hell of a lot more than some people have.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Look at shared houses and 16k is still enough to survive on now. Mate of mine is in a shared house and he could take my £770 and live easily.

Again, it isn't by any means luxurious and you're knackered if you want to save any money but it's a hell of a lot more than some people have.

sorry, I didn't realise you meant shared houses. A friend of mine rents an apartment (bedsit), think their rent is about £550.00 a month in Brighton

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here