[Brighton] B&H council tax up by 5.1%

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
In addition, you simply can’t take Students’ non-payment of council tax in isolation.

Students contribute over £1bn to the economy of Brighton & Hove, I believe that’s about a third.

http://www.sussex.ac.uk/broadcast/read/44319

https://www.brighton.ac.uk/about-us/news-and-events/news/2014/08-18_700m-boost-to-economy.aspx

What’s of significant interest is that over the coming year and previous year or so, circa 5,000 new student rooms in both private and University accommodation will become available. This is not due to any new demand as Student numbers have dropped by a few thousand at Brighton University although there is expansion at Sussex to counteract this.

The affect is going to be a reversal of the studentification of areas such as Hanover. The council is likely to come down very hard on HMO’s with slum Student landlords facing unprecedented losses as they’ll have their HMO status removed from their poorly maintained houses forcing them to rent to families or sell up. This might go some way to remedying the horrific drop in numbers in the city’s primary schools.

Students are a good thing for a city.

And thousands upon thousands of them stay.

Which means we have a large proportion of people in the city, who are working age, do decent jobs, start businesses and spend loads of their income in shops / bars / restaurants, in turn keeping our town thriving and keeping council revenues ticking over.

There are other councils in the country, who are absolutely desperate to retain their young people, but can't. We're lucky.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
yes, the conventional wisdom followed by all governments, banks and economists, bar a few followers of MMT. thats the economic equivalent of flat earth theory. pray tell how Euro exists, which government authorises its creation, and what happened to the supposed non-debt of member states when they changed from sovereign currency to Euro 20 years ago - did it all become real debt overnight?

In fairness, economists agree on little but there is some interesting stuff in MMT, there is an interesting article from the FT here with regard to the Eurozone:- https://www.ft.com/content/97cdd71c-7d3e-11e9-81d2-f785092ab560 One thing I think is really important though the rebuttal of the likening of national economies to household budgets especially with regard to those with sovereign currencies, it's a BS comparison that is pedalled ad nauseam by politicians of all side, essentially, because it really simplifies what are very complex economics.....

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
B&H council tax up by 5.1%

In addition, you simply can’t take Students’ non-payment of council tax in isolation.

Students contribute over £1bn to the economy of Brighton & Hove, I believe that’s about a third.

https://www.brighton.ac.uk/about-us/news-and-events/news/2014/08-18_700m-boost-to-economy.aspx

I agree, my business will improve dramatically once they start attending lectures again however I’m just concerned that our LA is being short changed on CT by a large volume of people who use 100% of the City’s services but don’t contribute to its costs, surely the landlord should shoulder some of the cost?

Edit Am I right in thinking that the students can not only register to vote here but also their hometown or is that fake news?

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Although you're obviously not alone in this , you are under the delusion that those that have bought assets have solely done so from their earned income.

The assets can only be purchased by money I guess, it was earnt somewhere once. If not then it will be decreased by inheritance tax anyway at some point. What is the issue?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Edit Am I right in thinking that the students can not only register to vote here but also their hometown or is that fake news?

Yes, they can register to vote at both uni and home addresses but only vote once. If you think about it, that makes sense as we don't know when an election is going to be called and students don't know where they'll be living on that particular day.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I agree, my business will improve dramatically once they start attending lectures again however I’m just concerned that our LA is being short changed on CT by a large volume of people who use 100% of the City’s services but don’t contribute to its costs, surely the landlord should shoulder some of the cost?

But the landlord will just pass these costs onto the students in higher rents,

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Yes, they can register to vote at both uni and home addresses but only vote once. If you think about it, that makes sense as we don't know when an election is going to be called and students don't know where they'll be living on that particular day.

The voting once bit was what I was seeking clarification on [emoji106]

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
To me, this is the point.

Average property prices have trebled in the last 20 years. Huge amounts of property wealth are untaxed and given we have to tax somewhere, this to me seems like the least unfair way of doing it.

So someone saved for a deposit, bought a home 25 years ago for £100k, and has paid the mortgage for the last 25 years.

Someone else qualified for council housing 25 years ago, but has since also worked.

Person 1’s home is now worth £500k, not that the person has that liquid cash as they have paid the mortgage ever since.

Person 2 still pays their rent but has had far more disposable income for the last 25 years.

Person 1 dies in 20 years time leaving an estate of say £1.25 million including the property. inheritance tax now has to be paid.

Person 2 dies around the same time, having had far more holidays, and luxuries of varying kinds due to not paying rent/mortgage comparable to the private sector. They have also had their home maintained at no expense to themselves. Their estate is worth £1500, not even enough to cover the cost of their funeral which is now subsidised/paid for by the state.

You still think it fair that the person that cost the state the least should pay even more tax than now over and above that paid by the person who has been far less responsible?

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
The assets can only be purchased by money I guess, it was earnt somewhere once. If not then it will be decreased by inheritance tax anyway at some point. What is the issue?

Less than 5% of estates in the UK have any IHT due at all.

And the huge majority of people who have owned their own homes for 20+ years will have got an exceptional deal by the standard of today, (for example 4 x average income whereas today it's over 8.5 x income)

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
So someone saved for a deposit, bought a home 25 years ago for £100k, and has paid the mortgage for the last 25 years.

Someone else qualified for council housing 25 years ago, but has since also worked.

Person 1’s home is now worth £500k, not that the person has that liquid cash as they have paid the mortgage ever since.

Person 2 still pays their rent but has had far more disposable income for the last 25 years.

Person 1 dies in 20 years time leaving an estate of say £1.25 million including the property. inheritance tax now has to be paid.

Person 2 dies around the same time, having had far more holidays, and luxuries of varying kinds due to not paying rent/mortgage comparable to the private sector. They have also had their home maintained at no expense to themselves. Their estate is worth £1500, not even enough to cover the cost of their funeral which is now subsidised/paid for by the state.

You still think it fair that the person that cost the state the least should pay even more tax than now over and above that paid by the person who has been far less responsible?

I just don't really accept the figures in your example. For a start, the person who has been paying rent will have had way higher monthly payments than the person paying an equivalent mortgage, so having less disposable income to spend.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
In fairness, economists agree on little but there is some interesting stuff in MMT, there is an interesting article from the FT here with regard to the Eurozone:- https://www.ft.com/content/97cdd71c-7d3e-11e9-81d2-f785092ab560 One thing I think is really important though the rebuttal of the likening of national economies to household budgets especially with regard to those with sovereign currencies, it's a BS comparison that is pedalled ad nauseam by politicians of all side, essentially, because it really simplifies what are very complex economics.....

sure its interesting, a nice way to look at economics on paper, it just doesnt stand up to scrutiny when put up against real world.

BenGarfield

Feb 22, 2019
crawley
yes, the conventional wisdom followed by all governments, banks and economists, bar a few followers of MMT. thats the economic equivalent of flat earth theory. pray tell how Euro exists, which government authorises its creation, and what happened to the supposed non-debt of member states when they changed from sovereign currency to Euro 20 years ago - did it all become real debt overnight?

I think the more appropritate metaphor here, rather than describing what actually happens in the economy as a `flat earth' , is to compare the current prerdominant economic belief system as akin to that held by the mediaeval society before Copernicus pointed out that the earth revolved around the sun.

To answer your question re the Euro - yes, the countries previous "debt" when they were independent countries, would become a real debt once they had lost monetary sovereignty. As far as their money are systems concerned, all the countries have effectively become one country. Now being more akin to American states. So, Margaret Thatcher got at least two things right in her life - refusing to join the Eurozone, and getting rid of that disgusting school milk!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

What’s of significant interest is that over the coming year and previous year or so, circa 5,000 new student rooms in both private and University accommodation will become available. This is not due to any new demand as Student numbers have dropped by a few thousand at Brighton University although there is expansion at Sussex to counteract this.

The affect is going to be a reversal of the studentification of areas such as Hanover. The council is likely to come down very hard on HMO’s with slum Student landlords facing unprecedented losses as they’ll have their HMO status removed from their poorly maintained houses forcing them to rent to families or sell up. This might go some way to remedying the horrific drop in numbers in the city’s primary schools.

And in particular those parts of the city that have been decrepit since forever. Yes I'm talking about YOU Lewes Road and London Road. Choked and grimed by traffic, the studentrification of those two roads can only pull them up by their bootstraps. And if at some point the students decamp en masse to somewhere more appreciative of their presence then - hey presto! - a glut of affordable starter homes for all :thumbsup:

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

I'm not sure what your asking but, to respond to your latest post, you're also under the delusion that inheritance tax captures that much wealth -- only 7% of estates in the UK qualify for inheritance tax.
You don't seem to like the principled point that I was making, so I'll take it that you want taxes to be applied to income rather than assets, which is (the opposite of) what I stated at the outset.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
And in particular those parts of the city that have been decrepit since forever. Yes I'm talking about YOU Lewes Road and London Road. Choked and grimed by traffic, the studentrification of those two roads can only pull them up by their bootstraps. And if at some point the students decamp en masse to somewhere more appreciative of their presence then - hey presto! - a glut of affordable starter homes for all :thumbsup:

Well traffic should definitely be prevented from entering central areas like this yes, but that's an entirely separate conversation.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Well traffic should definitely be prevented from entering central areas like this yes, but that's an entirely separate conversation.

Not really. Nobody wants to live in all these decrepit old roads off, say, Preston Circus, other than cash-strapped students or people who have lived there for fifty years, the ones with net curtains brown through age. There's some fine old housing stock there. Just need to turn the traffic tap off and they'll overnight become highly desirable. But for now it's mainly students and their slum landlords that keep them going

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Damn you lucky Wandsworth residents [I used to be one, can you tell?]

You are "lucky" until you need them to do anything.

"Hello, I've got 15 bags of extra refuse to be take away. How much will that be..."

"Ok, that will be £XXXX"

"Really ?, ok - I guess you have to make up the low council tax somehow"

Next day

"Hello you left one bag.."

"We counted 16"

However even those politically opposed to them will admit they do run a "tight ship". My local library is still open, the streets are clear of rubbish and you don't silly pamphlets through the door.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports