Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Azure need to booted out.

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
That's highly possible as a pub doesn't have to deal with such mass catering and a very rapid turnover of food.As for the grizzling about the pies, I suspect the problem might not necessarily be the pies...
Exactly. I get pie & pints every week in ns and yeah, big deal have to queue but always get there - it's never less than pretty good and often a darn sight better - never had a problem with staff either. There's a lot of us in there ffs and what are people comparing the food to? - anyone eaten a pukka pie recently? Admittedly the queues were long at half time yesterday but a lot more seemed to be buying hot drinks than usual, which they can't just line up ready like they do with the beers ???

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I don't think the pies are as nice as they were at the start of the season either.

While I'm loathe to join in with this regularwhinge-fest that is the weekly "catering" thread, I do have to agree with this. My veggie pie was tasty in the middle, but the crust was a little disappointing this week.

Overall though, I think we need to get a bit of a grip here. We never had threads like this every week about the Withers vans, and the food this season is MILES better than that ever was. I think we have suddenly got a very inflated expectation of everything about the matchday experience.

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
While I'm loathe to join in with this regularwhinge-fest that is the weekly "catering" thread, I do have to agree with this. My veggie pie was tasty in the middle, but the crust was a little disappointing this week.

Overall though, I think we need to get a bit of a grip here. We never had threads like this every week about the Withers vans, and the food this season is MILES better than that ever was. I think we have suddenly got a very inflated expectation of everything about the matchday experience.
absolutely this. Yep, for me it's variable sometimes too but this is a football stadium ffs and everything, including the food, is better than I can remember - and I'm no whippersnapper

tweenster

Oct 16, 2009
Lincoln
First off, I'm not a regular at the Amex, I can only get there about once a month, but I have no gripes at all with the catering. I have, though, been to Fratton Park!

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
absolutely this. Yep, for me it's variable sometimes too but this is a football stadium ffs and everything, including the food, is better than I can remember - and I'm no whippersnapper

Exactly. For the vast majority of my 30+ years of going to games, it's generally been impressive if the food at a game was edible. As a vegetarian, the options have often been, erm, well, a Mars Bar!

D

Deleted member 2719

I go up to the swan every home game now, good food, good cider and a decent atmosphere, it even fairly warm in the marquees !

I was disappointed with the atmosphere up there has it improved Dave? I agree that the food is by far better value.

D

Deleted member 2719

£500? Crikey :( how did that occur(i apologise if i didn't see it earlier in the thread)
No worries, i didn't mention it and didn't really want to get involved in it on here at the moment, but you sucked me in and steam was coming out of my ears so i had to let the pressure out a bit before my head exploded!!

:lolol:

kip

Aug 2, 2011

You could get served at the Withdean though

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
I'll tell you why Azure are running out of pies, the people ( like me ) who arrive early are having two or three each ................

I had two in WSU on Sat, one before kick-off ( around 14:15 ) from the small outlet near staircase 4, and one after the game at ( 17:20 ) from the stand at the south end of WSU concourse. Both Steak and Ale.

I'm sorry, but if you just turn up at five to three expecting a full choice to be available, you'll be disappointed, because a lot of them have already been eaten.

Last week I sat next to two people in Dick's bar and they had three each just whilst watching Liverpool - Man U on the tellybox.

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
I'll tell you why Azure are running out of pies, the people ( like me ) who arrive early are having two or three each ................

I had two in WSU on Sat, one before kick-off ( around 14:15 ) from the small outlet near staircase 4, and one after the game at ( 17:20 ) from the stand at the south end of WSU concourse. Both Steak and Ale.

I'm sorry, but if you just turn up at five to three expecting a full choice to be available, you'll be disappointed, because a lot of them have already been eaten.

Last week I sat next to two people in Dick's bar and they had three each just whilst watching Liverpool - Man U on the tellybox.

My, we're a healthy bunch aren't we!

I sit in WSU and have always found the pies to be either acceptable to very good indeed. As long as you avoid the crazy times - just before kick off and first part of half time - service is pretty good as well at the southern end.

Due to the come early, stay late culture, I suspect the level of average customer visits, beer and pie sales at the Amex will have exceeded all forecasts and resourcing plans if the club and Azure based them on experience at other grounds.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
I turned up just after 2pm in WSU and there was no queue, a choice of beers and pies. No complaints from me.

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
I also had a fresh orange juice in Churchill Square and a half of Sussex Extra Stout in the Evening Star ( my verdict yeuch, will try the Hophead next but you'll struggle to make me give up the Harvey's ) and a hot chocolate after the game.

I have a fairly long journey to home games and ( other than a quick coffee on the way ) just don't have time to get to eat - Reading Station is mostly demolished at the mo, so no outlets on the platforms and while I can eat at Gatwick I can't afford to miss a connection just to go upstairs to the south terminal catering outlets.

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
I also see that the Dark Star Festival is trying to replicate the King and Barnes Festive, in which case that is one I will definitely NOT be trying, K & B NEVER agreed with me..... whereas Harvey's, lovely, nectar of the Gods.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I think you've missed the point. For a lot of people it's not just about a football match - and it never has been. Having a drink and a bite to eat, before after or during the game, is what football fans have done since they first invented Bovril and none of your solutions are really practical. Like you I can live without a pie and a pint at a football match, but I really enjoy the food at the Amex and I too have been frustrated at certain times.

And NSC is for letting off a bit of steam. People comment about the match, the transport, the cheerleaders, the music so I don't see why the catering should be off limits. And I know it's often said but if you do personally find threads about catering complaints boring then ....... (I'm sure you know the next bit, personally I never open the 'what should the team be?' threads as I find them tedious in the extreme.)

Personally I'd rather read valid complaints about the catering (which has an impact on the Albion's revenue and transport plans) than yet another ludicrous thread moaning about Ashley Barnes, or that CMS doesn't score enough or that Vicente is stealing a living etc etc

The Amex is a great stadium and there's nothing wrong with people wanting it to be even better. For a company that claim to be experts in the field, Azure have been a joke from start to finish.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Great to hear they are changing things in the off season, I think the food and drink is excellent, just the random nature of getting anything or not. I am sure the Albion will get it right, as its about making money and keeping your customers happy.

Lets hope they remember may be another 8K soon. Did anyone else bid for the tender.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
I don't normally buy food at football grounds but the Newcastle game came at about tea time so it made sense to queue for a pie, a hot dog and a burger. This was more than half an hour before kick-off, East Stand.

Finally got to the front and it emerges there is no hot food of any kind. Suddenly the boring threads on NSC about stock availability all made sense.

Finally sampled the steak and ale pie at half time at the Leicester game and thought it was great - pastry perfect, meat tender, sauce with a bit of a peppery kick. No complaints at all.

Just seems odd that we don't have enough of the things to give to those that want them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here