Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Aye Aye Ashley

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I value your points mate and the only reason I really do think I'm right is cos ive seen challenged like that a lot of times (not quite as bad) and it's difficult to explain but I can just tell what he's done there from years of playing football. But hey it's all about opinions...
My point re his weight - it should be going predominantly down (ie on his foot and down into the turf on his left foot but he goes through the player when he could stop. There would still be contact but nowhere near as bad. ]Tbh I'm finding it very hard to explain what I mean in words! I've just seen the little tactics like that a thousand times and I believe I'm correct!

He brings his trailing leg up in the air and manages to twist his right foot on Matic's leg before he pushes off.

barnestackle2.gif

No doubt I will be told that I am seeing things. I didn’t even post the above gif, it is really just a figment of my imagination. :shrug:

Earlybird

Jul 23, 2003
Brighton
You don't have to have played football at a very high level to know the difference of an accident & someone 'doing' a player.
Matic sure as hell knew & that's why he blew up.
Ash got away with that one & the one on Ivanovich & I cant believe folk are defending him over it.
He was waspy when he was here so its no surprise to me he's still at it now.
Its in his character.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
He brings his trailing leg up in the air and manages to twist his right foot on Matic's leg before he pushes off.

View attachment 63316

No doubt I will be told that I am seeing things. I didn’t even post the above gif, it is really just a figment of my imagination. :shrug:

Nope you're quite correct. I don't want to sound like a broken record but hes left one on Matic and knows exactly what he's doing...!

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London

View attachment 63316

are you completely ignoring that matic's trailing leg comes through barnes' standing leg to uproot it on purpose?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The FA used their usual get out ' we cannot take action if the ref has seen the incident and took no action" what they should have added was the ref didnt see it clearly and took no action, so we will.

Jan 10, 2014
Sorry if I'm boring anyone by bringing this to the top again and you can tell me to buzz off (I'm posting this first obviously :wink:).

Here's how you conduct yourself Jose Mourwhingeo............

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Nope you're quite correct. I don't want to sound like a broken record but hes left one on Matic and knows exactly what he's doing...!

Lol...you do seem to suggest you know exactly what a person is thinking ....I've just watched Goals on Sunday with the almighty (well that's what he thinks he is) as guest ....I gave him 20 minutes of whining about how hard done by Chelsea are ...mind telling me what was in Saint Costas mind when recently he stamped on a Liverpool player :)

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
In that case he should go and see a doctor.

I haven't ploughed through this thread so I'm sure it's all been covered, but having watched the Sean Dyche interview on the previous page (granted, he's merely giving his opinion) he makes some really good and obvious points that seem to have got lost in the excitement of the last 24 hours.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Sorry if I'm boring anyone by bringing this to the top again and you can tell me to buzz off (I'm posting this first obviously :wink:).

Thanks for posting that very helpful to listen to that perspective ...no doubt all those Barnes bashers will say he's biased ...but he certainly seems to have a lot more dignity than the other manager

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

As measured as his comments are, it doesn't really add anything to the debate about AB's follow through. It debate is not about whether the ref saw it but what was the intent.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
As measured as his comments are, it doesn't really add anything to the debate about AB's follow through. It debate is not about whether the ref saw it but what was the intent.

It is whether or not the ref saw it as that is what the FA have based their no further action on because he said he did see it. That being the case Atkinson should be taken to task by the FA. If you want to encourage kids to play football properly assaults like that on other players they should be jumped on, so to speak.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I value your points mate
Likewise.
My point re his weight - it should be going predominantly down (ie on his foot and down into the turf on his left foot
Maybe this is the main reason we disagree - he's moving forward quite quickly when making the pass, so his weight is completely leaving his left leg and had no challenge come in, he'd have landed on his right leg with no weight on his left at all.

I know what you mean about leaving it in, but each incident is different in terms of how far in advance you know what's happening, and also how much you decide to leave in. I couldn't be confident he deliberately left much in.

I can just tell what he's done there from years of playing football
Interesting point from Dyche - when it happened, non of the Chelsea staff or players (apart from Matic) reacted as if it was a bad challenge. In your time of playing football, you wouldn't have been watching loads of replays in slow-mo like we are here, you'd have been going by what you saw live, and what all these vastly experienced Chelsea players and staff saw didn't make them react at all.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here