Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Away tickets - name checks - including 1901

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
For FFS - arrests? That is going too far - it's fans going to watch a football match, not bloody ISIS or El-Qaeda.
You've misinterpreted.

The fans weren't arrested because they had tickets in someone else's name.

Some fans who have been arrested, for doing something or other, were subsequently found to have tickets in someone else's name.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I’m not sure that is clear. A name on its own is not comparable data to that given by ordinary STH and members who also give contact details and have a fan number. I find it difficult to believe that a 1901er can simply assign an away ticket to any name with no other details. How does that help the club in dealing with fans ejected from the ground ?
I guess if the recipient of a 1901 away ticket gets ejected then the responsibility will fall back on the 1901 member, same as how home guest tickets (which stay in the name of the purchasing member) work.

The greater flexibility that goes with 1901 tickets is reflected in the higher cost I suppose.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I guess if the recipient of a 1901 away ticket gets ejected then the responsibility will fall back on the 1901 member, same as how home guest tickets (which stay in the name of the purchasing member) work.

The greater flexibility that goes with 1901 tickets is reflected in the higher cost I suppose.
Only apparently there is limited flexibility, so more money for basically a lounge and programme.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Out of interest, what's the punishment for bringing an unruley friend? The punishment for passing on tickets illegally is known, with cases to demonstrate.....but what about rowdy guests?

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Do any others clubs do all this?
I remember talking to some west ham fans on the train last season and they are free to just pass tickets around without a care.
It does seem drastic the lengths we go to but I suppose it's all or nothing.
I've always thought Brighton's approach to this really odd - No, it doesn't happen at Derby, there's the odd moan when people can't get to certain membership levels but generally just a non issue!

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I've always thought Brighton's approach to this really odd - No, it doesn't happen at Derby, there's the odd moan when people can't get to certain membership levels but generally just a non issue!
Then perhaps your club isn’t bothered about a closed shop of the same people always buying the tickets regardless of whether or not they go to the game thereby re-enforcing their ability to hoover up all the tickets for the high demand games. Maybe it doesn’t happen at Derby or maybe you have just never noticed. It has certainly happened at Brighton hence our club’s approach.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Out of interest, what's the punishment for bringing an unruley friend? The punishment for passing on tickets illegally is known, with cases to demonstrate.....but what about rowdy guests?

It's in the terms and conditions somewhere but I'm sure it is along the lines of banned for X number of matches and/or points deduction. Pretty much the same as passing a ticket on.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It's in the terms and conditions somewhere but I'm sure it is along the lines of banned for X number of matches and/or points deduction. Pretty much the same as passing a ticket on.
Makes sense.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
By way of coincidence, whilst looking for something else just now, I read this from Liverpool's ticketing for a CL fixture last season...

TICKET SALE and STADIUM ACCESS NOTES:​
Tickets will be issued in the form of an e-ticket and will include the first name, surname, place of birth and date of birth of the supporter using the ticket and attending the game.​
The e-ticket will be sent to the email address of the supporter named on the online form as attending the game. Please ensure that the correct email address is provided as changes cannot be made once the booking is complete.​
Supporters must take photo ID to the game and the ID must match the details on the ticket.​
ID checks will be carried out when boarding coaches to the stadium and at the turnstiles.​
If the details on the ticket do not match the ID provided, supporters will be refused entry into the stadium.​
Please do not attempt to remove or change the details on the ticket as you will be refused entry.​
And for another fixture...
The club will be operating a ticket collection process in Amsterdam for 50 per cent of the ticket allocation for this fixture.​
A digital verification trial will also take place for 300 supporters who will be asked to swipe their NFC pass in Amsterdam. The club has been encouraged to trial this by supporters as a possible future alternative to collects.​
Ticket bookings will be entered into a randomised ballot process.​
Every supporter named on the online form as attending the game within each booking selected for ticket collection or NFC trial will be notified on Tuesday October 18.​

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Has it?

The only game I can think of where it was blindingly obvious was the Bournemouth game a few years back in one of the cups?

I've always thought this scheme is making a mountain out of a molehill from the club.
The Bournemouth game (I was one of the few who bought a ticket and actually went) was a different scenario. The pricing and point allocation made it an obvious exercise for some to buy a ticket and simply not use it, thereby "harvesting" the points to help keep up their priority position for future games.

The bigger issue the club are looking to address is the informal sharing of away tickets, which created a closed shop for access to tickets for in-demand games.

Fan A to Fan B: Are you going to <fixture>? I don't have enough points to buy a ticket but I'd like to go.
Fan B: No, I can't go - you can have my ticket if you want.

Fan A is happy as he gets to go to a game he can't otherwise get to, and fan B is happy because he gets the benefit of the loyalty points, helping to maintain his high priority position. Fans C-Z are unhappy as they didn't get a chance to buy a ticket, and are unable to progress through the priority tiers.

I'd say, anecdotally, a LOT of this went on and I think the club's new process pretty much stopped it overnight, as there's a big risk now involved in passing on an away ticket, and most aren't prepared to take that risk.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Has it?

The only game I can think of where it was blindingly obvious was the Bournemouth game a few years back in one of the cups?

I've always thought this scheme is making a mountain out of a molehill from the club.
Everyone has seen the resale tickets on Twitter etc. The club outlined the scale of the problem they were dealing with when they introduced the checks. That Bournemouth game was simply the first time the activities of the cosy cartel were exposed for all to see and the first public response from the club. As ticket demand has increased so has the incentive for ticket harvesting and the numbers of people losing out has risen accordingly.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
I'd say, anecdotally, a LOT of this went on and I think the club's new process pretty much stopped it overnight, as there's a big risk now involved in doing this, and most aren't prepared to take that risk.
Whilst not eradicated totally, such shenanigans have certainly reduced to a large extent.

Some are still, it seems, prepared to take the risk. Should they be caught I guess they'll throw their arms in the air and say it's not fair.

I think they will increase the ad-hoc ID checks at the stadia.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
The Bournemouth game (I was one of the few who bought a ticket and actually went) was a different scenario. The pricing and point allocation made it an obvious exercise for some to buy a ticket and simply not use it, thereby "harvesting" the points to help keep up their priority position for future games.

The bigger issue the club are looking to address is the informal sharing of away tickets, which created a closed shop for access to tickets for in-demand games.

Fan A to Fan B: Are you going to <fixture>? I don't have enough points to buy a ticket but I'd like to go.
Fan B: No, I can't go - you can have my ticket if you want.

Fan A is happy as he gets to go to a game he can't otherwise get to, and fan B is happy because he gets the benefit of the loyalty points, helping to maintain his high priority position. Fans C-Z are unhappy as they didn't get a chance to buy a ticket, and are unable to progress through the priority tiers.

I'd say, anecdotally, a LOT of this went on and I think the club's new process pretty much stopped it overnight, as there's a big risk now involved in passing on an away ticket, and most aren't prepared to take that risk.
I went to the other Bournemouth game that week. The PL one. Only 5 points as I remember but chose to go to that for the importance of the game rather than choose the 15 points harvesting from the meaningless cup game. Couldn’t do both in a week from Norfolk. This all comes down to human nature and many people only look out for themselves and their mates which is why the club has to regulate the ticket market.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
By way of coincidence, whilst looking for something else just now, I read this from Liverpool's ticketing for a CL fixture last season...

TICKET SALE and STADIUM ACCESS NOTES:​
Tickets will be issued in the form of an e-ticket and will include the first name, surname, place of birth and date of birth of the supporter using the ticket and attending the game.​
The e-ticket will be sent to the email address of the supporter named on the online form as attending the game. Please ensure that the correct email address is provided as changes cannot be made once the booking is complete.​
Supporters must take photo ID to the game and the ID must match the details on the ticket.​
ID checks will be carried out when boarding coaches to the stadium and at the turnstiles.​
If the details on the ticket do not match the ID provided, supporters will be refused entry into the stadium.​
Please do not attempt to remove or change the details on the ticket as you will be refused entry.​
And for another fixture...
The club will be operating a ticket collection process in Amsterdam for 50 per cent of the ticket allocation for this fixture.​
A digital verification trial will also take place for 300 supporters who will be asked to swipe their NFC pass in Amsterdam. The club has been encouraged to trial this by supporters as a possible future alternative to collects.​
Ticket bookings will be entered into a randomised ballot process.​
Every supporter named on the online form as attending the game within each booking selected for ticket collection or NFC trial will be notified on Tuesday October 18.​
That is just a game in Europe though isn't it. Not dissimilar to what England fans have to do for away games, albeit it's 100% collection. Liverpool don't have this policy for normal domestic away games.

I wouldn't be surprised if we have to do something for European away games depending on the opposition.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Surely if the aim is to prevent harvesting and fans are missing out then a system where if you buy a ticket and circumstances change you can return it (up to say 24 hours before KO) and get a refund.

Someone else can then buy the ticket and earn points for attending.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
How many games is that actually an issue though? Bournemouth and Luton next season. Europe will be a big unknown but everyone is fearing the worst. Most other games get to member sale don't they?

When I returned to football I started on zero points. I'm now season ticket priority 1 going to 4 or 5 away games a season. Don't think there has been a game I haven't been able to get a ticket for in that time. I appreciate not everyone is in front of a computer all day but I really don't think the problem is as big as the club is making out or a big an issue as people on here are making about "harvesting points".

Incidentally for all those people who are annoyed about "harvesters" don't join the England Travel Club. You have to scan your ticket for home games to get the point/cap. I've seen people scan multiple tickets going in, people going in and walking straight back out. Most qualifiers/friendlies the "home" section is half empty for the second half. Away games are slightly different but the recent game away to Malta there were maybe 700 people left in the ground (out of a sold out 4k) with 10 minutes to go when we left.

So it might of done, again I really don't see the problem of that happening (yes I know it's illegal to resell tickets - but it's about as illegal as speeding). If someone acts up who you've given your ticket to then you are responsible for their actions. Same with home games when you can buy guest tickets.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here