Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Away fans in home ends

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
HOW'S YOUR PATIENCE?
Sat in my normal seat Monday night and just as the game started a 20 ish guy swaggers along the row and sits in the row in front of me. He is with his partner of similar age. As tickets hadn't sold out the pair had 2 seats spare either side of them.
1/ He is wearing a Wolves hat.
Now, we get a few away fans and tourists in our area so this is nothing unusual to have an away fan with us. Generally we start a conversation with them and have a good chat about the game. Most have sneaked in under cover with a friend. So far, whilst being a bit 'I am' he was OK.
2/ From under his coat a pint appears.
Lots of murmurs around as he sits there drinking his beer. To be honest I hoped Wolves didn't score because the pint would go flying.
3/ He pulls out his vape and blows smoke in my direction
Patience gone I called over our steward who says nothing (he's only a lad) but calls the head guy.
Head steward also has some patience. Spoke gently to him asking him not to smoke and to give up his pint. At that point he would have let him stay but Wolves fan swore at him with a stream of abuse. End of, guy kicked out.

Peacehaven Wild Kids

Jan 16, 2022
The Avenue then Maloncho
End of, guy kicked out.
Sounds like the geezer was given every chance, he was caught drinking and vaping and as It sounded like he could have possibly stayed at this point he could have given some fake apology “sorry mate I didn’t know I wasn’t allowed to vape/drink” and sat in silence for the next ten minutes but instead was hell bent on being a twat.

Right result in the end.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
HOW'S YOUR PATIENCE?
Sat in my normal seat Monday night and just as the game started a 20 ish guy swaggers along the row and sits in the row in front of me. He is with his partner of similar age. As tickets hadn't sold out the pair had 2 seats spare either side of them.
Now, we get a few away fans and tourists in our area so this is nothing unusual to have an away fan with us. Generally we start a conversation with them and have a good chat about the game. Most have sneaked in under cover with a friend. So far, whilst being a bit 'I am' he was OK.
Lots of murmurs around as he sits there drinking his beer. To be honest I hoped Wolves didn't score because the pint would go flying.
Patience gone I called over our steward who says nothing (he's only a lad) but calls the head guy.
Head steward also has some patience. Spoke gently to him asking him not to smoke and to give up his pint. At that point he would have let him stay but Wolves fan swore at him with a stream of abuse. End of, guy kicked out.
Seeing as Wolves didn't sell out, one has to ask why he wasn't in the away end...?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
HOW'S YOUR PATIENCE?
You have to wonder what on earth possesses someone to act like that.

We all know the drill: keep your head down, sit on your hands and be polite if and when rumbled.

Your chancer failed on all counts and got what he deserved as a result.

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove

We all know the drill: keep your head down, sit on your hands and be polite if and when rumbled.

No chance he’d do that away at somewhere with a bit more angst attached, eg another West Midlands team.

Sounds like it was ultimately dealt with well. On the other hand if you go to a Bundesliga game it’s very common to see away fans with colours mixed in with the home fans in some sections. It’s a shame we are unable to find a way to make that work here, like Fulham used to do, but there are too many who would abuse it for it to ever get off the ground I’m afraid.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
HOW'S YOUR PATIENCE?
Sounds like it was handled ok.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
No chance he’d do that away at somewhere with a bit more angst attached, eg another West Midlands team.

Sounds like it was ultimately dealt with well. On the other hand if you go to a Bundesliga game it’s very common to see away fans with colours mixed in with the home fans in some sections. It’s a shame we are unable to find a way to make that work here, like Fulham used to do, but there are too many who would abuse it for it to ever get off the ground I’m afraid.
I think the atmosphere would suffer all over the country, away ends are a good thing.

HeaviestTed

I’m eating
NSC Patron
Mar 23, 2023
HOW'S YOUR PATIENCE?
Can we get some more details on how he sneaked a pint in? Asking for a errr me

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I think the atmosphere would suffer all over the country, away ends are a good thing.
Doesn't seem to do any harm at Rugby or Cricket - or almost any other sport for that matter. It's only because there are still dinosaurs going to football that there is any issue.

HOW'S YOUR PATIENCE?

Ummm anyone wearing any attire of the away team should be booted out by the fans before the stewards get there. No surprise the usual just tutted.

Doesn't seem to do any harm at Rugby or Cricket - or almost any other sport for that matter. It's only because there are still dinosaurs going to football that there is any issue.

Football is entirely different and thankfully, always will be. I love the tribalism and shit slinging, all part if the panto.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home

If he would have done that at West Ham he wouldn’t have got out of there without a twatting.

Jimmy Grimble

I’m more than happy to engage with away fans pre-match or post-match in a pub but I have absolutely no interest in an away fan sitting near or next to me during the 90 minutes of a game. Football is still tribal and I want the people sat around me experiencing the same emotions and responding to the game in a similar way.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here