Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Away Attendances

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Absolutely no need to remove our "outlier" while including everyone else's biggest away following of their season ...

This table is a decent ranking order of the quality of away support enjoyed by Championship teams this year.

We have had a great season on the pitch and are rightly also near the top of this league.

Middlesboro are correctly identified as having the best away support this year. They have been odds on to win the league most of the season and also enjoy a significant migrated support due to years in the top flight and lack of decent local employment.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Absolutely no need to remove our "outlier" while including everyone else's biggest away following of their season ...

This table is a decent ranking order of the quality of away support enjoyed by Championship teams this year.

We have had a great season on the pitch and are rightly also near the top of this league.

Middlesboro are correctly identified as having the best away support this year. They have been odds on to win the league most of the season and also enjoy a significant migrated support due to years in the top flight and lack of decent local employment.
Just do a calculation based on fans per miles travelled... it is a more relevant calculation, and certainly more reflective of true dedication to a team.

Why not just include games which are 100 miles or more away,.. that would be more relevant.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Just do a calculation based on fans per miles travelled... it is a more relevant calculation, and certainly more reflective of true dedication to a team.

Why not just include games which are 100 miles or more away,.. that would be more relevant.
Eh? The table I referred to is a calculation of fan miles ....

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton

Perhaps it would have been better to use a more formal rejection criteria (2.5*sigma or something). Are there any other attendances on there that over five and half times the clubs average attendance?

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Perhaps it would have been better to use a more formal rejection criteria (2.5*sigma or something). Are there any other attendances on there that over five and half times the clubs average attendance?

I think you have the wrong end of the stick. Outlier tests are to isolate and remove bad data. No-one is suggesting there weren't more than 7,000 Albion fans at MK. It's verifiable, observed data.

PG

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Not exactly bad data though is it.

Like many others, I plan my away days early in the season. MKdons wasn't one of the ones we identified (for obvious reasons), but due to the Forest fixture being moved (to a Monday evening which is an impossibility for me) and the realisation we'd be taking a big following, we chose it instead. We'd have taken 3-4k anyway regardless of price.

I'm sure there are many others with similar circumstances, if we remove this data you'd also need to remove other games, as attending this one directly correlated with the non-attendance of another.

surlyseagull

Aug 23, 2008
Had the game been priced normally how many fans would we have taken?

I think about 3000,I for one had pencilled it in before the cheap tickets were announced.

12000 fans paying full wack would have generated more income than 20000 cheap tickets.
That is not taking into account ST holders who I'm sure feel a bit aggrieved.

Depends how you define income as 20000 fans would spend a helluva lot more than 12000 in consumables, and add a lot more to the general community and football club in revenue spent on the day or maybe overnight .

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Didn't we give MK Dons their highest away following to date ?

Bristol City, Coventry, Brighton, Sheff Utd Leeds and Wolves have ALL taken over 6,000 in recent seasons. It's because despite a large modern stadium, MK Dons are so tin pot that they can offer as many tickets as necessary. In fact, the only good thing about MK Dons is that if they are in the Championship, most clubs will be praying for a final game there (if not a home one) because they'd get a ticket for any potential promotion party. Imagine if Leeds needed a win on the last day at MKD for promotion - they'd probably ask for half the ground, and get them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here