Aviation industry and Covid-19

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Better late then never

Maybe but this is a further disaster for airlines and the travel industry. You can all bin your summer holiday abroad ideas too. This could be the final nail in the coffin for some British airlines and many travel companies unless furlough in the tourism industry is extended until travel can recommence with some normality. Government funding is the only way airlines will have a chance of survival too imo.

Depressing

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Better late then never

I’m not so sure.

The rest of the world is trying to keep Brits out as we’re seen as Corona-Central. This was a move for February or early March, it might be that the economy takes priority here as I just can’t see what good it will do.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Maybe but this is a further disaster for airlines and the travel industry. You can all bin your summer holiday abroad ideas too. This could be the final nail in the coffin for some British airlines and many travel companies unless furlough in the tourism industry is extended until travel can recommence with some normality. Government funding is the only way airlines will have a chance of survival too imo.

Depressing

Think money will be coming in now.

Also - it sounds like they are lifting the travel ban and adding on the 14 day lock up.

Means airlines don’t have to refund if you don’t want to travel and the flights going

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

Also - it sounds like they are lifting the travel ban and adding on the 14 day lock up.

Means airlines don’t have to refund if you don’t want to travel and the flights going

Good I’m bored with giving refunds and making nothing from the bookings! :lolol:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Reckon the days of flying from Gatwick to the Arctic Circle for fifty quid return are well and truly over. Absurd economics, which I've taken full advantage of. Twice. All I can say massive cheers to Easyjet for some amazing travel experiences. And all good wishes for the future. Tho maybe price your flights a bit more sensibly going forward. No matter how much you charge, you'll STILL doubtless be far cheaper than BA

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds

How would that work if your return flight is within 14 days of your arrival?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Puzzled by the announcement that passengers arriving from France won't be subject to quarantine. Doesn't that render the quarantine restrictions pretty much meaningless? Just did a quick look at Paris CDG airport on Flightradar24. They've got flights arriving from all the place eg Rome, Belgrade, Saigon etc etc. What's to stop anybody from anywhere just transfering at Paris for a flight to the UK? Seems crazy on the face of it

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Puzzled by the announcement that passengers arriving from France won't be subject to quarantine. Doesn't that render the quarantine restrictions pretty much meaningless? Just did a quick look at Paris CDG airport on Flightradar24. They've got flights arriving from all the place eg Rome, Belgrade, Saigon etc etc. What's to stop anybody from anywhere just transfering at Paris for a flight to the UK? Seems crazy on the face of it

They’ve probably done a reciprocal deal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος

Presumably if you're just transferring through CDG and final destination is London you'd be required to quarantine in London. If you exit the airport you'd be expected to quarantine in Paris for 2 weeks prior to flying to London. Of course that's all in theory and how it will work in practice remains to be seen.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;9343157 said:
Presumably if you're just transferring through CDG and final destination is London you'd be required to quarantine in London. If you exit the airport you'd be expected to quarantine in Paris for 2 weeks prior to flying to London. Of course that's all in theory and how it will work in practice remains to be seen.

I don’t think the airports have the staff/budget to check every flight.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Yup, they have, but doesn't address the problem tho. Hopefully will be challenged by the media or in parliament. Just seems to drive a coach and horses - and any number of passenger jets - through any quarantine restrictions

I think Raab said they will be looking at others as well.

If Trump tells Boris to do it, do you think he will say no?

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
I cant really see the logic of bringing in the quarantine at this stage, or at the end of May if that is when they are planning to. To me would have made more sense at the point there was a concern re overloading the NHS- a month or 2 ago when the Nightingales were being set up etc.

At this point, we have to accept that the virus is here and it is everywhere across the country. R value may be kept below 1 but I cant see it disappearing entirely. In that context I'm not clear in a big picture context what harm it would do having people fly into the country. The quarantine proposed appears to completely kill off the travel industry in terms of trips into and out of the UK. Although exemptions now appearing- Ireland, France, sporting teams (has been mooted) so maybe the plan will be to at some stage start allowing travel in from countries that are further along the curve with less cases, without quarantine, and just require quarantine for arrivals from countries which still have a bigger problem.

At the moment it just feels very contrary to the objective of getting the economy back up and running. Maybe there is some science to back up this approach which I don't understand.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I cant really see the logic of bringing in the quarantine at this stage, or at the end of May if that is when they are planning to. To me would have made more sense at the point there was a concern re overloading the NHS- a month or 2 ago when the Nightingales were being set up etc.

At this point, we have to accept that the virus is here and it is everywhere across the country. R value may be kept below 1 but I cant see it disappearing entirely. In that context I'm not clear in a big picture context what harm it would do having people fly into the country. The quarantine proposed appears to completely kill off the travel industry in terms of trips into and out of the UK. Although exemptions now appearing- Ireland, France, sporting teams (has been mooted) so maybe the plan will be to at some stage start allowing travel in from countries that are further along the curve with less cases, without quarantine, and just require quarantine for arrivals from countries which still have a bigger problem.

At the moment it just feels very contrary to the objective of getting the economy back up and running. Maybe there is some science to back up this approach which I don't understand.

Its PR - Lets wait for the details.

I imagine there will be a host of exceptions by June

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

i thought the France exception was for ferries and Eurostar, not flights. theres also a exception for Ireland.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
So the published document suggests that people arriving on flights from overseas will have to supply contact and accommodation information and, unless on the exemption list self isolate for 14 days, if they can’t demonstrate and ability to self isolate for 14 days the government will arrange accommodation!

Surly anyone who can’t demonstrate an ability to self isolate and where they intend to do so they should be turned around and sent back to wherever they came from?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports