Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Australia - Where to go

Jul 5, 2003
London
I'm off to Australia this week - very last minute - for 4 weeks.
Will probably do the east/ south-east coast from Cairns or Brisbane to Canberra or Melbourne.

Has anyone got any suggestions on where to go?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Never been but you are very lucky - a place I really would like to visit.

As I am a huge snorkling fan I would have to suggest Cairns.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Byron Bay - miles of beaches, whales, dolphins, laid-back hippy lifestyle, great food, cold beer, fit women. You won't want to leave. :smokin:

Stumpy Tim

You have to do the Barrier Reef, and IMHO you have to go to the Whitsunday Islands - some people say they are better. They're actually close to each other, so do both.

Alice Springs is supposed to be awesome though I've never been. And if you get to Sydney, make sure you drop me a PM. I'll show you the sights :wave:

Steve in Oz

Jul 26, 2003
First go to virginblue.com.au And try and book some flights, With the Exchange rate you should get some great deals If you in Queensland try to go to surfers paradise for the bars, or the Gold coast for the Theme Parks ( if thats your thing). Go to Sydney and head for Circular Quey where you will find The Opera house and the Bridge. When in Melbourne you have to go to the MCG and watch a game of Aussie Rules Footie The MCG is Amazing. But just come and have a great time. The Aussies are a great lot and they will give you a bit of stick but give it back and you will find them to be some of the best blokes in the world, and they love a drink. And if you have the time in Melbourne try and get to Falls Creek for some Skiing. Have a great time. Cheers Steve in Oz

Steve in Oz

Jul 26, 2003
PS Try and Pack for all Weather its our winter in Melbourne At the Moment So shorts and t shirt will see you freeze your tits off.

The Maharajah of Sydney

Jul 7, 2003
Sydney .
The Great Ocean Road .
Starts about 50km west of Melbourne , hugs a dramatic coastline for around 250km in the direction of Adelaide .
When you reach Warnambool , head north to the old gold mining towns and wineries of Victoria .
Avoid Brisbane at all costs --- boring and conservative .
Give Surfers Paradise and the Gold Coast a big miss too . Go instead to Noosa along the Sunshine Coast , 2 hours north of Brisbane . In Sydney , climb the Habour Bridge . Take a ferry to
Manly , cross The Corso , turn right at the Pacific Ocean and walk to Shelley Beach and have lunch at Le Kiosk . Impossable
not have a great holiday . Excellent food , wine & beer !

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
In Sydney as well as all the usual bits around circular quay, which are great, don't forget Bondi or my preference Manly. take the ferry. Some great pubs and eateries.
Blue Mountains are great too as is Hunter Valley for wine tasting.
Melbourne great city also.
You will be there in their winter so have some warm clothes with you.
Don't ask for Fosters. look out for VB or Hahns premium.
Aussies are great especially if you match there wind ups about whinging poms.
Have a great time and if you are flying direct do get off the plane at your stopover and strech your legs. It's a long flight.:clap2:

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
The Wollomolloo Tavern for a Sunday dinner-time sesh that runs into Sunday night, then up to Kings Cross for a night cap in the Bourbon & Beef-steak. Harry the Hubs pie van for scran.
Oh yeah, Sydney, what a piss-up!

:drink:

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Been to Australia a couple of times and love it! My personal favourites....

Take a trip up to Cape Tribulation from Cairns and have a look at the rainforest. Go on a night time walk with a guide when all the animals are out and about. Stay away from water - it's full of crocs.

Take the cable cars to the market at Kuranda and jump on the steam train back.

Go to the Barrier Reef the first fine day you get, because you may want to go again. It's incredible. When it's windy, it can be rough on the way and when it's wet visibility is reduced so get there while the sun's shining.

The Whitsunday Islands are tremendous. There are various trips from Airlie Beach (I spent 3 days with loads of others on the square-rigger they used in the film 'Deep Calm', camping out on the islands).

Further down at Hervey Bay, join a 4WD trip across to Fraser Island (the world's biggest sand island), where the beach is the main road and the water's so pure you can drink it straight from the lakes. Don't swim in the sea, sharks instead of crocs.

Whale watching in Hervey Bay.

From Sydney, take a day trip to the Blue Mountains. Very beautiful. Instead of Bondi beach, try Manly. Get the ferry across from Circular Quay and, hey presto, free harbour cruise!

For lazing in the sun, try a little place called Narabeen in Sydney. The sandy beach goes on for miles - there's not much else there, but that means the beach is all yours.

Someone else mentioned the Great Ocean Road from Melbourne, which is spectacular. Some backpackers trips will take you along there, and also include time to clamber on 'Hanging Rock'.

Also near Melbourne, you can watch the penguins come out of the water as the sun goes down... fun, but you are sitting in a grandstand we'd be proud of at Withdean, so not exactly a 'backl to nature' experience.

I could go on and on... in fact, I realise I have.

Don't get me started on Darwin and Perth!!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Have a fantastic time. Have to say I missed out on Cairns and the Barrier Reef while I was living in Sydney and still regret it but if you get a chance go to Uluru. You'll only need 2 nights tops but make sure you're up for sunrise on the first morning.

Mebourne - stay in backpackers in St Kilda if you want to meet loads of poms. And make sure you catch an AFL game at the MCG if you can.

Sydney - my favourite beaches, like Gaffer, were Manly and Balmoral. It'll probably be a wee bit too cold though. Bondi and Kings Cross are a must but be careful in the Cross, don't flaunt too much cash and take care when using your mobile, though it's nowhere near as dodgy as London and the Bourbon and Beef-steak is definately worth a visit. And walk from the Circular Quay station to Mrs McQuarries point to get a photo of the Opera House and Bridge together. Cheesy but a proper Oz momento. If you can face it carry on the same way towards the art gallery and check out Russell Crowe's "apartment".

If you're after a bit of brit culture Hart's pub on Essex St just of George St near the Rocks is a cracking little place for a chilled out pint in a Brighton style pub. And definately go to the Blue Mountains.

Last edited:

Citrus

Seagulls over Toronto
Jul 11, 2003
Toronto
Tom Hark said:
Byron Bay - miles of beaches, whales, dolphins, laid-back hippy lifestyle, great food, cold beer, fit women. You won't want to leave. :smokin:

... and SHARKS!

Have a good time.:wave:

culvers

Jul 6, 2003
Sutton
So you are going, well there really is only one place in Australia worth visiting...Ramsey Street, you know you want to. I don't care how far away it might be from where you are going you must go. I want Photos.

Oh and remember never intrust ANY of your possesions to a drunken English cock.

Have a good time....

Dunkstar

Jul 6, 2003
Up a Hill
For gods sake if you go into a pub try and avoid Fosters i've heard some bad stories about barmen "tampering"with the brew so as to f*** the pommies up!

perth seagull

Jul 5, 2003
It depends what you're after. If you're into the great outdoors, then Queensland is the best place to visit. Especially in the tropics (Cairns and Townsville). To check out a city and things like that, Melbourne would be better than Brisbane. But the weather there is pretty bad at this time of year.

Sydney has all the usual sites, and if this is your first time in Australia, you have to see that.

Canberra, the capital, is a nice city, and you can get there and back from Sydney in a day.

Perth isn't worth it. Don't bother.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here