Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Australia Day, No Way!!

csider

Dec 11, 2006
Hove
I was in a bar last night and there was bunting up with the words "Australia Day 2008"

I asked when it was and barmaid (thick) said "I think its on the 26th of this month"

Is it me or are we the only f***ing country to not celebrate our patron saints day, or at least hide the fact for fear of being racist??

St Patricks, now f***ing Ausfuckingtralia.......its racist!!:rant:

I was in a bar last night and there was bunting up with the words "Australia Day 2008"

I asked when it was and barmaid (thick) said "I think its on the 26th of this month"

Is it me or are we the only f***ing country to not celebrate our patron saints day, or at least hide the fact for fear of being racist??

Hardly racist......................... just not much to celebrate

"But who was St. George, and what did he do to become England’s Patron Saint?

Very little is known about St. George’s life, but it is thought he was a high ranking officer in the Roman army who was killed in around AD 303.

It seems that the Emperor Diocletian had St. George tortured to make him deny his faith in Christ. However despite some of the most terrible torture even for that time, St George showed incredible courage and faith and was finally beheaded near Lydda in Palestine. His head was later taken to Rome where it was interred in the church dedicated to him.

Stories of his strength and courage soon spread throughout Europe. The best-known story about St. George is his fight with a dragon, but it is highly unlikely that he ever fought a dragon, and even more unlikely that he ever visited England"

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
So what? St Patrick was Lithuanian or something.

hornet

Mar 9, 2005
Horsham
Surely 'Australia Day' proves that it doesn't have to have anything to do with St. George or St George's Day.

We could just set up an a seperate England Day couldn't we?

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
What do you drink to celebrate Australia Day? Surely you don't pay up for Australian beer?

I get it free straight from my cock.

Carlton Cold? Tooheys? VB? :angry:

I think [insert country] day is a cracking idea. I got caught up in National Norway Day in Australia which was an absolute hoot.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Just wondering what you're all actually moaning about to be honest. Everytime another countries national day creeps into the bars and clubs that are local to you - are you moaning that you don't have a national day or just another exuse to have a day off to go drinking? Its all marketing at the end of the day really...

I agree that this country needs a national day - but what should it be, and what should it celebrate. If that point above about St George is true then thats hardly something we (or you) should choose - what would you choose?

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
You get Anzac biscuits on Australia Day which are bloody great.
There are lots of places you can go to to celebrate St George's Day, and other days are celebrated in pubs in the like because they know they'll make money, not a lot of places do St Georges Day as no cares

Grendel

Jul 28, 2005
Seaford
I had a cracking time on Australia Day last year, went to the Evening Star followed by The Basketmakers, followed by The Globe then Casablanca for some reason. Missed the night bus home and wandered into some basement bar on the seafront, and stayed there til the following morning listening to Midnight Oil, INXS and The Triffids whilst availing myself of the Australia Day drinks offers. I'm all in favour of it.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia

What are you on about?

Australia day has nothing to do with Patron saints.

And perhaps you've missed it but St Patrick actually was a Briton, so he's more "english like" than St George who came from around Asia Minor, Turkey way.

So why are you all in a huff when St Patricks day is more British than St George day could ever be I'm not sure.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
why not celebrate my birthday instead. It's on January the 26th (the same day).

Could catch on - Buzzer Day. Where women dress as MILFs and men have FLAIR HAIR wigs. Waddya reckon?

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
As you get older, things like birthdays become less important.

Culturally, Australia is still like a five-year-old.

csider

Dec 11, 2006
Hove
Hardly racist......................... just not much to celebrate -

It was said with tongue in cheek!

Some interesting points and thoughts. I never do St Patricks as I feel we should celebrate our own country. Rright or wrong, thats just me.

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
What does this cockbollocks country have to celebrate anyway?

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Here on my ship we have a party to celebrate every nations special day. We have some cracking parties as we have 60 plus different nationalities here. Even little Kiribati has a party with the girls doing their dance, great fun.

The one country that does nothing.....yep, England. There's only a few of us here & I must admit we let St George's Day pass by un-noticed, shame really.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
i got a free hat last year - makes it a worthwhile celebration in my eyes

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
So what? St Patrick was Lithuanian or something.

??? Or British, unknown but thought by many to be Welsh. Close, spose they're about equal at football. He also spent a large amount of his life in Ireland doing missionary work.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here