Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Aussie mind games??

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Fast bowler Brett Lee has been discharged from hospital and Australia are increasingly hopeful he will start the third Ashes Test at Old Trafford.
And they are not ruling out Glenn McGrath making a speedy recovery to play in Manchester as well.

Lee spent two nights in hospital with a knee infection and has responded well to treatment.

Australian vice-captain Adam Gilchrist told BBC Radio Five Live: "The improvement in 24 hours is amazing."

He added: "I don't know what the experts say but he's certain he'll be turning out."

A decision on whether he will take part in a practice session - and more importantly the Test - will be made on Wednesday afternoon.

Lee said: "It's been a frustrating few days, not the ideal preparation for an important Test, but I'm confident now that the problem has been solved."

McGrath, who injured ankle ligaments standing on a cricket ball just before the second Test, is also making good progress.

He has got rid of his crutches and a surgical boot which was being used to protect the injury.

Gilchrist said of McGrath: "He made an amazing recovery over the following 48 hours.

"He's improving at a good rate and he's definitely not 100% out of the game.

"He's certainly working hard to be part of the game."

England have been plagued by injuries during Ashes series for decades - the Aussies will have to cope just as we did

Australia physiotherapist Errol Alcott was more cautious about McGrath's chances.

He said: "He had a scan on Monday for professional curiosity which disclosed extensive ligament damage which we were aware of when the accident occurred.

"We will now have to wait for the full medical evidence on the injury before we know how long he will be out of action."

The tourists have called up seamer Stuart Clark as a precaution ahead of Stuart MacGill, despite Old Trafford traditionally favouring spinners.

What do you think? I can't believe they would risk McGrath in this test just a week after he strained ankle ligaments, taht would be foolish. Lee could play but two days and nights in a hospital bad will have surely affected him too much to be able to perform up to standard. Would they not ne better off resting them both for this game and bringing them back for the last two tests or will they throw caution to the wind and play them as without those two England have an excellent chance of taking a 2-1 lead in the series.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
If they are injured it would be a bonus if they are played.

The knee that Lee has an infection in is, I think, the one he plants when bowling, so having to bowl a load of overs would absolutely kill him.

If they are injured they are likely to be bowling under par and might f*** themselves up for the remaining tests.

larus

It's all BS chappers.

Comments I read yesterday about McGrath were that they still don't know if he'll be available for the rest of the tour, much less tomorrow.

What pleased me was that it showed that they are so reliant upon McGrath & Warne. Remove these two from the set-up and they will not be anywhere near the force thay have been.

Time for the boys to step up.

I think the closeness of the last game was just one of those freak things that happens in sport occasionally, where the situation just seems to develop and drift. Can't see the same happening again quickly.

Last edited:

Its too keep us guessing. Old Trafford is going to be a fast pitch. Do we mentally prepare for pace or spin or actually just sup a couple of beers and chill.

LC:lolol:

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I think we've got them running scared, hence all these bullshit press releases.

There was an excellent bit on the news last night of an Aussie net session, there was a glass fronted room next to where they were practisiing and some guy was arranging a set of Freddie Flontoof cardboard cut outs and lining them up facing the nets. Fantastic.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
larus said:
What pleased me was that it showed that they are so reliant upon McGrath & Warne. Remove these two from the set-up and they will not be anywhere near the force thay have been.
You're having a laugh. Sure these two are among the worlds best bowlers, but the Aussies easily have enough strength in depth to be more than competitive.

MacGill is almost as good as Warne, and they have about 3 or 4 other top notch strike bowlers not yet in the side - all probably better than our third best (Hoggard or Jones).

larus

ChapmansThe Saviour said:
I think we've got them running scared, hence all these bullshit press releases.

There was an excellent bit on the news last night of an Aussie net session, there was a glass fronted room next to where they were practisiing and some guy was arranging a set of Freddie Flontoof cardboard cut outs and lining them up facing the nets. Fantastic.

Wicked....

His bowling has been awesone recently, he's now a real fast bowler. He's got pace & menace.

At this rate he could be one of THE all time greats.

I know it's tempting fate, but I do see this team, plus the players knocking on the door, capable of being a great time for quite a few years.

larus

Simster said:
You're having a laugh. Sure these two are among the worlds best bowlers, but the Aussies easily have enough strength in depth to be more than competitive.

MacGill is almost as good as Warne, and they have about 3 or 4 other top notch strike bowlers not yet in the side - all probably better than our third best (Hoggard or Jones).

If the others bowlers are so good, why are they still playing Gillespie & Kaspo. Not out of loyalty, that's not in the Australians make-up. It's because they think they are the best.

So no, I'm not having a laugh mate...

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
larus said:
If the others bowlers are so good, why are they still playing Gillespie & Kaspo. Not out of loyalty, that's not in the Australians make-up. It's because they think they are the best.

So no, I'm not having a laugh mate...
I don't disagree with that, but I still think your initial post stating they wouldn't be anything like the same force without McGrath and Warne is probably wide of the mark. Sure they would be weakened, but still better than England I suspect.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Flintoff is a legend. BUT Has only got one test haul of 5 or more wickets to his name so far.

Hopfully the second will be coming along this week!

Richie Morris said:
Flintoff is a legend. BUT Has only got one test haul of 5 or more wickets to his name so far.

we look for heroes!!:eek:

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Richie Morris said:

Freddie has never been a big haul bowler though, his strength is that he can be called upon when the batsmen are looking comfortable and nick a couple of quick wickets that can change the course of a game. There are not many all rounders that take lots of wickets in tests.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Radio 5 report that Lee and McGrath are both charging around showing no ill effects - although they've yet to do any bowling

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
If they both play and are in form, we will lose.

If either one doesn't make it, or they're below par, we have a chance.

We are far more evenly matched teams without 2 from McGrath, Lee & Warne in their side.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here