Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Aussie Cheats!

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Border was alright.....since then, not so much

Time flies. It was 25 years ago since he captained the Aussies against us. Thinking on Gilchrist was decent albeit he only captained a few tests.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Tremendous emotional actors these Australians. Not sure I could produce water works just cos the public are expecting it.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
The Warner press conference is below. He didn't answer questions on whether other Australian players were involved, which sent conspiracy theorists into overdrive, but later clarified on his Twitter that was a result of legal advice and due process ongoing with CA. Make of his 'sorrow' what you will. At least he didn't use his wife and kids as a shield like he did upon arriving at Sydney airport.

[tweet]979871710601101312[/tweet]

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Is this story really worth of headline news on BBC today. A foreign country cheating in a minority sport

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
When Ponting, handed over the captaincy to Clarke, that was when the rot started to set in.
What the hell were they thinking, with cameras everywhere.
I think that the team management should be handed over to Gilchrist and taken from the ' Boof Head'.
He is a good advocate for the game and though the Australian public demonised him for walking in a match when he had not been given out but knew he had nicked the ball, I thought that showed courage and great strength of character.
He could Instill this decency into the players and get them to play the game the way it was meant to be played.
The gentlemanly conduct is what attracted me to the game in the first place, what other sport stops for tea !
I know things have to move on, but it would be a real shame if the sport totally lost it's 'village green appeal'.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
On the field Australia are currently 512 runs behind South Africa in Johannesburg with just 4 wickets left. Their 2nd biggest Test defeat by runs (By 408 to The West Indies in 1980) is at risk.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Before I dive into some responses below, I just want to make it clear again that I find what these three guys did absolutely reprehensible. In Warner's case, I'd also add unforgivable. Smith and Bancroft could still earn forgiveness in my eyes, but both will need to work hard to earn it and prove that they've learned the lessons ... actually, more than learned the lessons - that they'll come back stronger and set an example for the cricket world about how the sport should be played.

We all appreciate that you Australians are hurting over this, but your #whataboutism in attempts to dilute the offence, cut no ice at all.

Argue all you like, that picking the seam, or wiping your hand on your suncream, then the ball, or accidentally treading on it in your follow-through, are all at the thinner end of the same wedge. Argue all you like that its the ICC's fault for not being stricter in the past.

But none of it changes how calculated and serious an offence these players have committed. None of it.

Try not to get hung up on your own self-righteousness on this. I'm not trying to dilute anything here; if anything, I'm trying to point out that ball tampering has been systematically diluted by the sport and it's authorities for far too long and that it is long overdue for it to be taken seriously and for significant penalties to be handed out. It is entirely relevant to look at the history of ball tampering in this thread (note here that this history includes plenty of occasions of foreign objects being brought onto the field, such as bottle caps, to do exactly the same thing Bancroft was attempting with the sandpaper). Take, for example, this article: http://www.espn.co.uk/cricket/story/_/id/22950998/cricket-ball-tampering-problem-plain-sight - and there's other articles doing the rounds now saying much the same as I've been saying here. David Richardson - head of the ICC - himself has alluded to it. Cricket has a problem with ball tampering that goes much deeper than this one incident; I saw an article late last week (which I now can't find) that essentially admitted that umpires have been turning a blind eye on "minor" ball tampering that has become systematic in the sport. It's this global culture around "acceptable" forms of ball tampering that then naturally leads on to someone being naive enough to take a risk on "unacceptable" forms of ball tampering.

There's a couple of big reasons this particular incident has blown up to the degree it has. The first is because the Australian team culture has been so poor for so long now that the rest of the cricketing world has been waiting for an opportunity to get stuck in. And get stuck in they have. The other is because Australia, as a nation, holds thee cricket team to such a high standard. Cricket is our number 1 sport, and the Captain of Australia holds nigh on the same standing as the Prime Minister does. That's why this has become such a scandal. It's not the ball tampering itself (you just have to look to how the South African team have taken such a measured approach in their responses).

Having said that, I'll go back to my first post on this subject here on NSC: I absolutely agree with you that what these guys have done is absolutely, 100% wrong. I've used some pretty strong words in conversation with others in the office where I work. It's absolutely shameful what they've done, but let's try to keep some perspective. The sport of cricket has never, ever demonised a player (or players) for ball tampering in the past the way these guys have been. And probably never will again in future, because a precedent that needed to be set a long time ago *has* now been set. Ball tampering is serious and will not be condoned.

And, finally on this: I'd be saying exactly the same things if this had happened to an England team, or South African, or Indian. I've played an awful lot of cricket in the past, from lower-league club cricket through to competition-level indoor cricket back in Australia. What hurts in all this isn't so much that it's the Aussies who've caused the latest scandal, but that cricket as a sport has allowed this failure to happen and that the world of cricket, globally, should have seen it coming.

What ? Just because of a quick blub in front of the cameras. They’ve been getting away with it......... sugar in the pocket ....cheats......now this ..... CHEATS !!!!

This whole sugar in the pocket thing feels like a big red herring to me - something to jump on to make the scandal bigger than it actually is. Bancroft wasn't one of the ball maintenance guys during the Ashes.

Only Smith of those implicated, would have any say in team selection, and if we are to entirely believe their current version of the truth, Smith only found out after the plan was hatched. They tell us the coach knew nothing, either.

So, if we choose to believe their story, the only pressure on him, at the point he agreed to cheat, was from the force of personality of Warner.

I doubt he'll ever come out and say it, but my personal belief is that Smith's failing in this was one of being naive enough to hope that having commented to Bancroft and Warner to indicate he'd seen them hatching their plan that they would then not carry through with it on the field. He'll have since then realised quite clearly that a leader doesn't rely on hope, and that he should have been very, very clear with them not to continue what they were doing.

They can be genuinely remorseful but still have to take the punishment for it. Ask any judge in a court.

This. Pretty sure the tears from all three have been genuine. Although, in Warner's case, I think it's got a lot more to do with knowing his career in cricket is over. I'm not sure even his state team will take him back; he'll be a club cricket bully from now on.

For Smith and Bancroft, it'll be in response to knowing how badly they've let down the entire Australian public, as well as themselves.

Another rat deserting the sinking ship of Aussie cricket ?

Seriously? You expect a guy to take the field with stress fractures of the tibia?

Interesting article here about the connection between Waugh's captaincy and current events........

http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/22961057/sanctimony-steve-waugh

I thought that was a brilliant article, outlines quite well what's been wrong with the culture inside the Aussie team for quite some time now.

All these tears you could drown in, but imho they are for getting caught, not regret for their actions.

Pathetic display, still trying to con the public

Both of you showing how little you understand what cricket means to Australians.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
If they are this useless without sandpaper, maybe they should be allowed to use it. Along with Scotland, Afghanistan, Ireland etc.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Audax : This whole sugar in the pocket thing feels like a big red herring to me - something to jump on to make the scandal bigger than it actually is. Bancroft wasn't one of the ball maintenance guys during the Ashes.

Ok let’s move on from that because like Anderson’s explanation, no further action was taken.

One of the reasons I do think that everyone is sticking the boot in is because these Aussies are such a dislikeable lot. Fancy saying you want an opposition player going home in tears, (Broad)
and that coming from your main man, your coach.

I do agree on how much Australia love the game of cricket though - you could tell by the disgust Turnbull felt at how the people had been let down by this cheating bunch. Concentrate on that and remember their whinging about how nasty the Saffers have been to them. Un- fecking believable. Like I said.... boo hoo.

Have we never transgressed ? We have, but not like this mob.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here