Audio (Reggae): Thread for all things reggae

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

EDS

Banned
Nov 11, 2012
Yeah, the Birmingham lot...xtc 4x4 from Birmingham flattered to decieve for a while... its a shame...
It seems that a lot of the older sounds, Saxon, Unity, et all, are doing shows, but nobody coming through, like you say.
All the kids from our soundsystem members went into other music...DnB (my OWN daughter!!!!), Dubstep etc..

I think there are so many reasons why, very few people can go to Jamaica and get an artist to voice a dub for them unless they can pay for the privilege and there are even fewer English artists coming through. I do not know what the answer is. Reggae is almost a dirty word nowadays as everyone associates it with dancehall which people think of as violence, murder and homophobia. Dont get me wrong there is a lot of talk of that but the actual artist's themselves are more like wrestlers on stage in so far as it is just a performance. I was told the only real gangster was ninja man but whether that is true or not, I have no way of knowing.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Ranking Dread, who we supported more than once at the Top Rank was leader of the UK Yardies as it turns out...Eek A Mouse, was a bit of a bad boy as well.

EDS

Banned
Nov 11, 2012
Ranking Dread, who we supported more than once at the Top Rank was leader of the UK Yardies as it turns out...Eek A Mouse, was a bit of a bad boy as well.

I know not much of Ranking apart from that he is dead and Eek a mouse has racked up more charges than a mobile phone

EDS

Banned
Nov 11, 2012
Sometimes, it seems as though, If they are not murderers...they are murdered... rip Peter

RankingDread:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ranking_Dread

Obviously I do not have as much experience as others at following sound systems and actually being in the thick of it so to speak, in fact the worst place I have ever been is west Norwood snooker hall believe it or not that puts on nights, I have seen a few good sounds their though. The closest I probably come to knowing about the scene is from attending dances and being friends with Maxi Priests son.

WildWood

Sep 6, 2011
Chichester
Thanks mate!!
Thanks to you & Daveinprague, I've finally got round to listening to all the brilliant sendspace stuff on here!!! The Studio One & Coxsone uploads are just superb.

Just uploaded Novembers Ska-Beat-Soul mix on there as well. As usual, would be great to hear a bit of feedback (no Phyllis Dillon this time Dave, sorry mate!) Take a couple of minutes if you can to listen to the first tune - record breaker by Sir Scorcher. Its a tune only made this year, but sounds like it came straight out the Coxsone yard in 1965!!!
http://www.sendspace.com/file/7blwkt

Got my first do this Friday in Chichester as well, stop by of your passing!!!

Woodies2.JPG

OK.
1 Click on Dave's Sendspace link.
2 On the page that appears, DON'T click the big download box, but instead click the smaller light blue box further down the page which says "Click here to start download from Sendspace".
3 At the bottom of your screen, a long rectangular box appears. On the right hand side, click the little black triangle of the SAVE box to open the drop-down box.
4 Click "Save As" and your browser will appear for you to save it where you want and name it what you want like saving any other file.
This long box will tell you the percentage of download remaining and the time it should take to do so. It also gives you the option to cancel. It will disappear when the download is complete.
Take no notice of the annoying flashing advert page which you'll probably encounter. Just close that if it appears.
Piece of pee.
Happy downloading!

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Roots Mix

Coldsweat presents 'Heavy Heavy Load' 7inch Mix

http://www.sendspace.com/file/dmaupu

SingleTrack
53m 42s

Starvation (GG's Records) By Ethiopians
Press along Joshua (Succes) By MAX ROMEO
Promise Land (Wambesi) By Royals
Love without feeling (Jungle) By Heptones
Black Pearl (Tropical Records) By Chantells
Children of jah jah (Hammer Productions) By Chantells
The end of the world (Reflections) By Gregory isaacs
It's all in the game (Trojan) By The rebels
Money can't buy love (Joe Gibbs) By Donna Dwason
It dread out deh (Hot Shot) By JOY WHITE
See dem a come (Naa-Na) By Mickey Simpson
Trying (Red Sea) By Bim Sherman
Heavy heavy load (Superbad) By Larry Marshall
So strong (Roots from Yard) By Leroy smart
True born African (Phase One) By Chantells
Mash down Babylon (Phase One) By LEROY KING
Chaga Chaga Warrior (Leo) By Dave Robinson
Ethiopian king (Freedom Sounds) By Rod taylor

Attachments

• rootsreggae.jpg
    rootsreggae.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 52

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I have a slightly odd question for you good reggae gentlemen.

In my classroom I have been using 60 bpm music to assist the kids in focusing on their work. The superlearning brain waves pattern is supposed to be around 60 bpm and I have been using baroque classical while kids are working and i would say it definitely improves focus and concentration.

Trouble is it's a bit crap to listen to and the kids don't like it.

But this got me thinking, my boy at home is aspergers and I have found that he responds really well to ska and reggae when he is stressed anxious or upset. Something to do with the off beat I think.

My inkling is that ska is was too fast to work in the classroom but maybe some reggae may be useful.

Can anyone tell me the approx BPM of a reggae groove?
Is there any particularly slow slow Reggae which would be around 60 bpm?
Does anyone fancy making a mix of slower reggae that I can experiment with in the classroom to see how it effects the kids?

Thanks

WildWood

Sep 6, 2011
Chichester
I have a slightly odd question for you good reggae gentlemen.

In my classroom I have been using 60 bpm music to assist the kids in focusing on their work. The superlearning brain waves pattern is supposed to be around 60 bpm and I have been using baroque classical while kids are working and i would say it definitely improves focus and concentration.
Trouble is it's a bit crap to listen to and the kids don't like it.

But this got me thinking, my boy at home is aspergers and I have found that he responds really well to ska and reggae when he is stressed anxious or upset. Something to do with the off beat I think.

My inkling is that ska is was too fast to work in the classroom but maybe some reggae may be useful.

Can anyone tell me the approx BPM of a reggae groove?
Is there any particularly slow slow Reggae which would be around 60 bpm?
Does anyone fancy making a mix of slower reggae that I can experiment with in the classroom to see how it effects the kids?

Thanks

I you want to use Reggae for medicinal purposes, then there's only one man for the job....

Seriously though, I think it's a great idea. I'm sure that someone will be along shortly with the perfect mix for you. I'll dig out some Rocksteady later & have a play & see why sort of BPM they are. If any good, ill gladly stick an hr together for you.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I you want to use Reggae for medicinal purposes, then there's only one man for the job....

Seriously though, I think it's a great idea. I'm sure that someone will be along shortly with the perfect mix for you. I'll dig out some Rocksteady later & have a play & see why sort of BPM they are. If any good, ill gladly stick an hr together for you.

Cheers I am very interested in how it will effect the kids and downloaded a few mixes of Roots from here and listened to a bit of dub on spotify, it occurred to me that I also need to be careful of the lyrical content. :lolol:

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Studio One Mix

Never Give Your Heart Away (love songs from studio one)

http://www.sendspace.com/file/swukoj

SingleTrack
1h 16m

Mixed by Carl Finlay

What You Won't Do For Love By Otis Gayle
Never give your heart away By Carlton and the shoes
Falling in love By Rocky and The Heptones
My True Love By Fr By The Viceroys
CHOKING KIND By Ken parker
How could i live By The Sharks
Hurting me By Alton Ellis
Don't Steal My Baby By The Fountainaires