Audio (Reggae): Thread for all things reggae

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

EDS

Banned
Nov 11, 2012
Not to sure who will be interested in this but it is a very interesting listen.

Gone to soon-David Rodigan looks back at the life of the 'Dub Originator', Osborne Ruddock, AKA King Tubby; and the influence his music has on what we listen to today.

Through talking to his friends and colleagues, we find out how this electrical engineer became the Godfather of Dub. You can also expect to find out about the massive part dub has played in sculpting the dance music scene in the UK.

With contributions from Bunny 'Striker' Lee, King Jammy, The Mad Professor, DJ Hype, Lemon D and Dillinja, Pinch, Stylo G, Damien Marley and more

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03cnp7q

KING-TUBBY.jpg

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Rub A Dub Roots

Captains Rub A Dub Mix

http://www.sendspace.com/file/rxkga7

SingleTrack
52m 47s

Joe White – Kenyata
Tommy McCook & Impact all stars – Harvest in the east
Freddie Mc gregor – Strange Things
Tony tuff & The Revolutionaries – Oh what a day
Mighty Diamonds – Wicked a fight
Anthony Johnson – Dread locks fight
Horace Andy – Don’t let problem get you down
Little John – Guiding star
Ijahman – Moulding
Ashanti Waugh – Feel no way
Horace Andy – Mind your own business
Barry Brown – Big big pollution
Delroy Melody – Ease up the pressure
Sugar minott – Africa is a black man home
Barry Brown – Spot light
Barry brown – No wicked shall enter
Black roots – The frontline
Twinkle brothers – Unemployment
Viceroys – Can’t stop us now
Horace andy – Confusion
Don Carlos – Strictly Culture

Attachments

• Captains RubADub Mix.jpg
    Captains RubADub Mix.jpg
    296.4 KB · Views: 18

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Nice one... yeah, he's cool....
When I was living in Frankfurt, he did a wicked football related dub for the local sound...

'I remember the day, Frankfurt win the cup!' :-D

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
See it alot though dont you... even with black MC's born and bred in the UK..
Think Saxon Studio DJs mostly worked with London accents...smiley culture, tippa irie etc.. .

It was England story my Frankfurt Sound friends (Soundbwoy Destiny) had his dubplate on, as mentioned earlier...'I remember the day, Frankfurt win the cup'... cant think of too many football related tunes now I think about it..

EDS

Banned
Nov 11, 2012
See it alot though dont you... even with black MC's born and bred in the UK..
Think Saxon Studio DJs mostly worked with London accents...smiley culture, tippa irie etc.. .

They started in Lewisham so would have London accents, one of my favourite tunes is Tipper Irie's "hello darling" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuoZmnClmMA I never knew the history of Saxon studio when I first heard that song so was surprised and pleased to learn they were from the same rough area as me. I can understand the black kids talking some patwa as they hear it from their parents but white kids, well it just makes me cringe. My son could not talk like that in front of me. Dont get me wrong I have picked up a few words but never would I say them in an accent, as I say to me it is a bit cringe worthy.
I think that is why someone like Rodigan, even though a selector was accepted over there is because he never tried to be something he was not. Then again Mighty Crown are Japanese and they all talk in Patwa, but then again they get insulted something chronic in clashes about it.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
They started in Lewisham so would have London accents, one of my favourite tunes is Tipper Irie's "hello darling" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuoZmnClmMA I never knew the history of Saxon studio when I first heard that song so was surprised and pleased to learn they were from the same rough area as me. I can understand the black kids talking some patwa as they hear it from their parents but white kids, well it just makes me cringe. My son could not talk like that in front of me. Dont get me wrong I have picked up a few words but never would I say them in an accent, as I say to me it is a bit cringe worthy.
I think that is why someone like Rodigan, even though a selector was accepted over there is because he never tried to be something he was not. Then again Mighty Crown are Japanese and they all talk in Patwa, but then again they get insulted something chronic in clashes about it.

patois....you ****ing din.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Simon from Mighty Crown screams too much haha
Quite like Saxon, although, they dont seem to do much these days...but thats the UK generally right now...
When I was in Sound in the 80s... if somebody told me, that in the future, an all white, German sound system, with a female selector would win a soundsystem world clash
i would have called for a doctor... I can think of more German sounds than I can think of English sounds right now, and thats quite sad...
Patois with a heavy German accent is pretty funny though.....

Ive just noticed that Channel One soundsystem are at Concorde2 this friday, so will probably be passing through that..

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
if you want a bit of cutting edge look for trentmoller dub/moan live , bird from royskopp on vocals....it's nice and white......give it a listen ...i'm fuct....tfb...:thumbsup:

EDS

Banned
Nov 11, 2012
Simon from Mighty Crown screams too much haha
Quite like Saxon, although, they dont seem to do much these days...but thats the UK generally right now...
When I was in Sound in the 80s... if somebody told me, that in the future, an all white, German sound system, with a female selector would win a soundsystem world clash
i would have called for a doctor... I can think of more German sounds than I can think of English sounds right now, and thats quite sad...
Patois with a heavy German accent is pretty funny though.....

Ive just noticed that Channel One soundsystem are at Concorde2 this friday, so will probably be passing through that..

The only really strong sound in the UK right now are Love injection as they seem to beat all contenders, there is not really anyone coming through to challenge them either. The thing is though kids with any musical talent nowadays are attracted to grime as they want to get paid. Even though how they can call grime music is another thing.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Yeah, the Birmingham lot...xtc 4x4 from Birmingham flattered to decieve for a while... its a shame...
It seems that a lot of the older sounds, Saxon, Unity, et all, are doing shows, but nobody coming through, like you say.
All the kids from our soundsystem members went into other music...DnB (my OWN daughter!!!!), Dubstep etc..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports