Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Audio (Reggae): Thread for all things reggae

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I reckon most of us on here are probably of similar vintage. So this should go down a treat.

There's some seriously big dubs played in this and the vibes are really nice too. One of the best clashes I've heard.

It's an absolute corker!

WildWood

Sep 6, 2011
Chichester
Had a rummage over the weekend & put together a mix of early reggae covers of the amazing Curtis Mayfield & The Impressions.

Enjoy!

https://www.mixcloud.com/paul-homer...aetribute-to-curtis-mayfield-the-impressions/

F7A4C5AD-E519-488D-9894-3D2298FEF0BF.jpeg

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

WildWood

Sep 6, 2011
Chichester
Right up my street. I got the email heads-up on this earlier. "Hey Yuh" at around 39 minutes is one of my all time favourites.

Thank you sir!!! Funnily enough, I just said the same to a mate of mine who’s a bit of an Impressions geek! Hey Yuh is such a great track. The impact that CM & co had on reggae, really can’t be understated.

Hope you’re well mate!

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

WildWood

Sep 6, 2011
Chichester
There's some lovely stuff you've put together there. You somehow manage to come up with a lot of stuff I don't remember hearing before.

Thanks so much for listening mate! I’m glad you said that, as I was worried that Prince Buster was doing a lot of the heavy lifting in this one, so it was hard to find some lesser known tunes! The Hopeton Lewis opener & The Upsetters instrumental were my personal favs!

Ooh it’s a corner

Aug 28, 2016
Nr. Coventry
Thanks so much for listening mate! I’m glad you said that, as I was worried that Prince Buster was doing a lot of the heavy lifting in this one, so it was hard to find some lesser known tunes! The Hopeton Lewis opener & The Upsetters instrumental were my personal favs!

It’s an appreciation from me too and I agree that Otis is certainly the best soul singer of all time - Try A Little Tenderness is my personal fave. From your mix I really liked the third one - That’s How Strong My Love Is - I’ve unsuccessfully tried to find it on YouTube - who is it please? I have found a Bobby Thompson version which I like

WildWood

Sep 6, 2011
Chichester
It’s an appreciation from me too and I agree that Otis is certainly the best soul singer of all time - Try A Little Tenderness is my personal fave. From your mix I really liked the third one - That’s How Strong My Love Is - I’ve unsuccessfully tried to find it on YouTube - who is it please? I have found a Bobby Thompson version which I like

Thank you mate! Really glad you liked it!

It is indeed Bobby Thompson AKA Dandy! It’s the b-side of another great tune called ‘Trouble In The Town’, a real rude boy tune!

https://youtu.be/wZWuFUOeUK0

Ooh it’s a corner

Aug 28, 2016
Nr. Coventry
This is one of the real benefits of NSC - I didn’t know, until you pointed out even more clearly, that Bobby Thompson and Dandy Livingstone are one and the same person - Suzanne Beware Of The Devil was a very notable early commercial success in my years at secondary school - thanks again!

Comrade Sam

Comrade Sam
Jan 31, 2013
Walthamstow
On the anniversary of the passing of one of the greatest voices we have ever heard (in my opinion!), here is a little reggae tribute to ‘The Big O’ himself, Mr. Otis Redding.

Enjoy!

https://www.mixcloud.com/paul-homer/hard-to-handle-a-reggae-tribute-otis-redding/

View attachment 142724

Loved the Impressions playlist. As much as I love Prince Buster (he danced all night at one of my gigs) he murders an Otis tune. Apart from my kids Otis Redding's voice was the most beautiful thing the world has ever known and only Toots can come close.

WildWood

Sep 6, 2011
Chichester
Loved the Impressions playlist. As much as I love Prince Buster (he danced all night at one of my gigs) he murders an Otis tune. Apart from my kids Otis Redding's voice was the most beautiful thing the world has ever known and only Toots can come close.

Thanks for the feedback mate, really appreciate it! Glad you liked The Impressions one - that was a real joy to record! Yeah, Otis for me is the greatest, even against the likes of Marvin & Aretha! In reggae circles, it’s a tie between Slim Smith & Pat Kelly for me!

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Thanks for the feedback mate, really appreciate it! Glad you liked The Impressions one - that was a real joy to record! Yeah, Otis for me is the greatest, even against the likes of Marvin & Aretha! In reggae circles, it’s a tie between Slim Smith & Pat Kelly for me!

Same as me with the last sentence. I would also add Cornell Campbell aswell.

Comrade Sam

Comrade Sam
Jan 31, 2013
Walthamstow

Toots is my Jamaican musical god, but Rain From the Skies LP is like bathing in silk. As babies I would sing Love Power and Love an Affection to my girls. Along with the Wailers probably up there for Impressions inspired genius.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here