Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Audio (Reggae): Thread for all things reggae

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Never heard of this artist before yesterday. Seems to be one of those guys who can sing over a variety of styles, soul, jazz, reggae. I think this is one of the nicest lovers rock tunes ive heard in a long, long time. A soulful voice on a lovers rock tune is a perfect match for me.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic

Attachments

• Lee-Scratch-Perry-210.jpg
    Lee-Scratch-Perry-210.jpg
    786.4 KB · Views: 147

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Dub Mix

Horns, Sound & Powah by Karl Kenyatta

https://www.sendspace.com/file/154vit

SingleTrack MP3
2h 3m

''Bless up di vibes with some higher meditation. Karl Kenyatta stepping forward on the Itrol Tower with some spiritual vibes. Special livikeshan to all soundsystem and bass enthusiasts, dis ya one is for the Ites.
Heavy dubs with some fine horns, flutes and melodica. Music that liberates the mind, comforts the soul and moves the body - Jah music. Fulljoy man like East meets West, Love Grocer, Ital Horns, Dynamite Horns, Hornsman Coyote, Sta'Sax, Centry, Mighty Three Horns up on some heavy productions by Dub Creator, Teshuvah Hi-Fi, Ras Muffet, Gussie P, Jah Warrior, Bush Chemists, Twilight Circus, Slimmah Sound and the Shanti-Ites.
Not too much words this time, let the hornsman take over and praise Jah''

Attachments

• b92f-7117-46cb-a0ac-09094df2e6bd.jpg
    b92f-7117-46cb-a0ac-09094df2e6bd.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 141

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Dub Mix

Horns, Sound & Powah by Karl Kenyatta

https://www.sendspace.com/file/154vit

SingleTrack MP3
2h 3m

''Bless up di vibes with some higher meditation. Karl Kenyatta stepping forward on the Itrol Tower with some spiritual vibes. Special livikeshan to all soundsystem and bass enthusiasts, dis ya one is for the Ites.
Heavy dubs with some fine horns, flutes and melodica. Music that liberates the mind, comforts the soul and moves the body - Jah music. Fulljoy man like East meets West, Love Grocer, Ital Horns, Dynamite Horns, Hornsman Coyote, Sta'Sax, Centry, Mighty Three Horns up on some heavy productions by Dub Creator, Teshuvah Hi-Fi, Ras Muffet, Gussie P, Jah Warrior, Bush Chemists, Twilight Circus, Slimmah Sound and the Shanti-Ites.
Not too much words this time, let the hornsman take over and praise Jah''

Very nice. Thanks Dave.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I know practically nothing about the history of dub plates so do those in the know agree with this article? Chappers, DiP, 1066familyman?

http://daily.redbullmusicacademy.com/2016/10/dub-fi-dub-the-most-special-specials

Nice article Buzzer, thanks for posting.

That thing Ricky Trooper says about the right tune at the right time nails it for me.

Check this clip out from around 4:30. Rodigan reaches for his Tenor Saw duplate, Barry G just plays Ring the Alarm straight, but see what Rory does :lolol:

The Nitty Gritty dubplate he plays gets the biggest forward of the evening! :bowdown:

And here's the full dubplate to enjoy.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I thought this would be a nice background story thing to include here as I've just mentioned Tenor Saw's classic Ring The Alarm, and sort of following on from the article Buzzer put up.

I have the album with this interview on and it's a really well put together tribute album. Luckily the clip I was after is on youtube too.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Sadly, killed .. 'allegedly' by people after a show in the USA, to avoid paying him. Ring the Alarm was a sound system anthem. Still is..

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Sadly, killed .. 'allegedly' by people after a show in the USA, to avoid paying him. Ring the Alarm was a sound system anthem. Still is..

Does make for sad reading. Left for dead at the side of the road in Texas.

Hugh Mundell, 21, gunned down whilst in a car with Junior Reid. Rumours it was over an argument about a fridge.

Jacob Miller, 27, died in a car accident. Rumours that he was delayed treatment in hospital due to being a rasta.

Garnett Silk, 28, died trying to rescue his mum from their burning house after a gas bottle explosion.

Dirtsman, brother of Papa San, 27, gunned down.

Those are just the ones that immediately spring to mind. Sufferers music that's for sure.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
List is horrendous Peter Tosh, Lucky Dube, Nitti Gritti (allegedly by Supercat).
We did a party in Somerleyton Flats in Brixton. Of course the lift didnt work. Myself and our singer, Reuben Da Silva, were carrying a bass speaker up the mostly unlit stairs. Turned a corner, and came face to face with Nitti Gritti swinging a very large blade on the end of a chain, and appeared to be about to rob us, until Reuben recognised him, I didnt. have a clue who it was, and was praying to all the gods. Reggae is a dangerous game.
We went to get paid after a dance in Cardiff, and the manager just pullled a gun and told us to **** off. We did.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Loving this from the current crop:

Helps when the original was a scorcher too:

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Little bit worried you'd lost the plot there FM. I first thought you'd posted something from Honey G!

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
UK Roots

Dread inna Inglan' mix

https://www.sendspace.com/file/fdvldp

SingleTrack MP3
1h 30 mins

1. MAKKA BEES 'Nation Fiddler (Extended)'
2. STEEL PULSE 'Kibudu-Mansatta-Abuku (Extended)'
3. BRENTON KING 'Jah Is A Black Man (Extended)'
4. BUNNY MARRETT 'Times Are Getting Harder (Extended)'
5. BRIMSTONE 'Final Judgement (Extended)'
6. 4th STREET ORCHESTRA 'Za-Ion (Extended)'
7. CYGNUS 'Jah Man (Extended)'
8. RAS IMRU 'Marshall (Extended)'
9. PABLO GAD 'Bloodsuckers (Extended)'
10. LIONS 'Natty Congo I (Extended)'
11. LEE FRANCIS 'A Lonely I And I (Extended)'
12. VICTOR ADDIS 'In The Ghetto (Extended)'
13. BLACK SYMBOL 'My Heart Reveals Danger (Extended)'
14. ERROL BELLOT 'Youthman (Extended)'
15. UNDIVIDED ROOTS 'England Cold (Extended)'
16. CLASS 'The Winner (Extended)'

Attachments

• 99e3-6d5f-49cd-af87-d88c3940436d.jpg
    99e3-6d5f-49cd-af87-d88c3940436d.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 153

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
Made thread so not to clutter up board. Posts probably irratate the hell out of non reggae lovers :lolol: plus as I was using megaupload in the old thread, pretty pointless dragging that back up.

Morgan Heritage live in San Francisco

Morgan Heritage Live San Francisco.MP3

SingleTrack MP3
1hr 1m 54s

If you remember Denroy Morgan the ska singer, well these are his kids. Talented family who have become a major band over the last few years. These are the older kids...the younger family members go by the name of LMS and are normally on tour with them, although they favour more towards hiphop.

I don't know if it's your thing but a mate of mine is part of venum sound & doors the real reggae rock show on 1 Brighton FM. They've got mix clouds to download etc. I can't really comment on quality - not really my thing

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic

WildWood

Sep 6, 2011
Chichester
Made thread so not to clutter up board. Posts probably irratate the hell out of non reggae lovers :lolol: plus as I was using megaupload in the old thread, pretty pointless dragging that back up.

Morgan Heritage live in San Francisco

Morgan Heritage Live San Francisco.MP3

SingleTrack MP3
1hr 1m 54s

If you remember Denroy Morgan the ska singer, well these are his kids. Talented family who have become a major band over the last few years. These are the older kids...the younger family members go by the name of LMS and are normally on tour with them, although they favour more towards hiphop.

I was lucky enough to spin a few tracks in between Morgan Heritage & Madness on the Lions Den stage at the Boomtown Festival this year (which gives me the perfect excuse to peddle out the YouTube clip......!!)

https://youtu.be/KYBnq9iqwhk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here