Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Au revoir liberte', egalitie', fraternite' ?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Lokki 7 said:
French employment and social policies have hamstrung French businesses on the global stage. Reducing restrictions and red tape should make them more competitive, and profitable. This should enable growth, expansion of the economy and create more jobs.
I've never voted for a right or centre right party before but had I been voting in France I would have gambled on Sarkozy. Sure it's a risk but France is in a mess right now and something needs to change.

They call him Thatcher In Trousers don't they? (Sarkozy that is, not Lokki 7...) I predict a riot, oh and general strikes and the ports and the airspace unuseable for the forseeable future.

Stand down Sarkozy!

Dandyman

In London village.
Lord Bracknell said:
Which immigrant are you talking about? The one born in Senegal or the one born in Paris?

A wee jeste m'lud. :jester:

Dandyman

In London village.
Lokki 7 said:
French employment and social policies have hamstrung French businesses on the global stage. Reducing restrictions and red tape should make them more competitive, and profitable. This should enable growth, expansion of the economy and create more jobs.
I've never voted for a right or centre right party before but had I been voting in France I would have gambled on Sarkozy. Sure it's a risk but France is in a mess right now and something needs to change.

I can see how his policies might well increase the profits of French business, I am unconvinced that the bulk of the French population will benefit however.

As far as France being in a mess goes, I totally agree (I have family who live on the outskirts of Paris) but a solution that includes the welfare of all the French people rather than just the elite would ahve been my preference.

E

enigma

Lokki 7 said:

Completely agree.

Dandyman said:
I can see how his policies might well increase the profits of French business, I am unconvinced that the bulk of the French population will benefit however.

As far as France being in a mess goes, I totally agree (I have family who live on the outskirts of Paris)

I know our politics differ, I hold the belief that the free market can benefit a greater proportion of the population than an over-regulated alternative with greater state intervention and re-distribution. Either way there are problems though, and Sarkozy will have to do a damn fine job to pull it off. His comments regarding the suburban riots are not a good sign I must admit.

Dandyman said:
a solution that includes the welfare of all the French people rather than just the elite would ahve been my preference.

Me too. Is there one? :)

Last edited:

E

enigma

Lokki 7 said:
I know our politics differ, I hold the belief that the free market can benefit a greater proportion of the population than an over-regulated alternative with greater state intervention and re-distribution. Either way there are problems though, and Sarkozy will have to do a damn fine job to pull it off. His comments regarding the suburban riots are not a good sign I must admit.

I think that's the problem. I think Sarko will make France more competitive and get rid of some of the ridiculous legeslation which has held them back, but at what price?

Having said that, although he antagonised a lot of people in the banlieues, he did have a fair amount of "ethnic" supporters as well, such as Basile Boli.

Dandyman

In London village.
Lokki 7 said:

In many ways I think you make some of my points for me. Sarkozy is not just offering neo-liberal economic solutions but repressive social measures and a closer alignment with US imperial goals.

The question of alternatives is a fair one as I suspect there is a limit to have far capitalism can ever be reformed in the interests of the bulk of the population. In France's case there probably is a case for shaking up some of it's over-centralised systems but I would also argue for looking at offering tax breaks for R&D, looking at what sort of state support can be given to the development of new skills based industries, providing training and educational opportunities for all that would benefit from them and looking at the balance of government expenditure between defence, social welfare, industrial investment and so on.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Tom Hark said:
They call him Thatcher In Trousers don't they? (Sarkozy that is, not Lokki 7...) I predict a riot, oh and general strikes and the ports and the airspace unuseable for the forseeable future.

Stand down Sarkozy!

I can't wait for his MARKET FORCES speech.. anyday now..

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Biskuit von Kekse said:
I can't wait for his MARKET FORCES speech.. anyday now..

And the 'Enemy Within' speech...

And the 'There Is No Such Thing As Society' speech...

Yup, they'll be manning the barricades in the streets of Paris tonight :flameboun

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
:lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

"This frenchmans ot for turning"

(How the hell Maggies speech made the Guardians top 100 speeches is beyond me.)

Dandyman said:
I suspect there is a limit to have far capitalism can ever be reformed in the interests of the bulk of the population.

Don't agree with this as experience shows us that over time, the countries that have embraced a capitalistic view (with a couple of notable excetions) have provided better living standards for all levels of the population. What percentage of the UK population were considered to be poor 100 years ago compared to now. And of those in poverty, what has happened to the relative standard of living? Education, health service, child mortality etc etc are all better today and this is a direct result of the greed of capitalism funding social benefits.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Lokki 7 said:
Don't agree with this as experience shows us that over time, the countries that have embraced a capitalistic view (with a couple of notable excetions) have provided better living standards for all levels of the population. What percentage of the UK population were considered to be poor 100 years ago compared to now. And of those in poverty, what has happened to the relative standard of living? Education, health service, child mortality etc etc are all better today and this is a direct result of the greed of capitalism funding social benefits.

Big difference is that France on the whole enjoys a laissez-faire lifestyle, the populace as a whole appreciates good food, fine wine, a three hour evening meal and won't take kindly to attempts to turn them into a TIGER economy. Never going to happen :nono:

Tom Hark said:
Big difference is that France on the whole enjoys a laissez-faire lifestyle, the populace as a whole appreciates good food, fine wine, a three hour evening meal and won't take kindly to attempts to turn them into a TIGER economy. Never going to happen :nono:

So why did they vote Sarkozy in then?
The French girl I sit next to is over the moon he got in. She is fed up with the country being run down economically. Capitalists eat cheese too you know. :)
Time will tell if his social policies are too hard to swallow, but I think it unlikely he will push anything too radical through if he wants to keep his job.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Lokki 7 said:
Time will tell if his social policies are too hard to swallow, but I think it unlikely he will push anything too radical through if he wants to keep his job.

The French people will let him know soon enough if tries to impose anything anywhere NEAR radical that adversely affects their quality of life. Sorry, but can't take the modern French right wing at all seriously for some reason. It's a weird statistical blip, is all. Regime change looms sooner rather than later. hoorah!

Tom Hark said:
The French people will let him know soon enough if tries to impose anything anywhere NEAR radical that adversely affects their quality of life. Sorry, but can't take the modern French right wing at all seriously for some reason. It's a weird statistical blip, is all. Regime change looms sooner rather than later. hoorah!

I'd pretty much agree with that, it all depends how good he is at balancing his policies with the general mood of the nation. I would like to see him give France a kick up the arse, set a new direction and then get voted out next election in favour of the up and coming centre party of Francois Bayrou.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here